Thinking of getting a new tow rig....opinions? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of getting a new tow rig....opinions?

Hey guys, first post here. Im pretty inclined with trucks/engines/towing but not so much with the newer stuff...

First off lemme say that right now im towing a 32ft travel trailer, that tips the scales in the 7300lb range...

Im towing it with a 97 F250 HD 2wd with an E4OD and a 460. 93,000 miles, besides an exhaust leak its a nice rig, just startin to show her age in a few spots...

Im posting this here because for the first time ever im considering going diesel. Just because i hate screamers and it seems like theres no gas engines anymore with the old school big block snort i love most about my 460....

My diesel knowledge basically ends at the 6.9/7.3IDI.

Ive been finding alot of 6.4/6.0 trucks in my price range, but how crappy are these engines really? I know on google theres alot of horror stories, but i take that with a grain of salt.

Ive also considered 5.9 Cummins dodges anything to watch with these? I like the fact manual tranny ones seem to be plentiful.....is the 6.7 cummins any good?

Not to keen on a duramax, i prefer a real front axle.

As far as the gassers go, if i did go that route, which engine would be the best segway off a 460? The V10 or 6.2? Or would even a 3V 5.4 do the job to satisfaction (its eaiser to find a manual behind a 5.4, which is one goal im shooting for).

Or. In yalls opinion should i just keep my paid for 460? Any input is greatly apperciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:17 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
My diesel knowledge basically ends at the 6.9/7.3IDI.
Ive been finding alot of 6.4/6.0 trucks in my price range, but how crappy are these engines really? I know on google theres alot of horror stories, but i take that with a grain of salt.
My real Ford pickup diesel knowledge ends there too. However I've personally known too many people with BAD 6.0 stories to ever think of buying one. And their resale value is in the toilet due to the problems. With all the trick stuff they're doing with gas engines nowadays, variable valve timing, etc, they have a LOT of towing power. But IMO when you hook a trailer to one the fuel mileage really drops compared to a diesel. At least that's my experience with my daily driver 5.7 gas engine compared to my old 7.3 diesel.
A friend has a mid 90's Cummins Dodge and pulling his heavy horse trailer I was amazed at the pulling power that thing had compared to my turboed 91 IDI. If I was in the market, I'd for sure try to find a clean Dodge Cummins. I say clean because all the goofy teeny bopper kids around my part of the country are buying them up so they can say they own a diesel, then beating them to death fast as possible. One clown runs around town with a 6" 3 foot stack sticking out the hood.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 10-20-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:45 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
The 6.0 can be bulletproofed into a reliable motor. The 6.4 cannot. You can do some things to help, but the only way to make a 6.4 truly reliable is a Cummins transplant. There were some block cracking issues on one of the Cummins motors, but I couldn’t tell you which ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in