Towing with a SRW F-350 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing with a SRW F-350

I have a 34' travel trailer that weighs 13660 lbs. loaded. I'm pulling it with a 1997 F-350 DRW. The combined weight is just under 22k which is 1k over the truck's GCWR. I don't want to sink any more money into the truck which is going to need a transmission eventually. I'm looking at 6.7 F-350's and would like to stick to a SRW which is rated at 14k for conventional towing. Just wanting to see if anyone is of has pulled at this weight with one of these trucks.

1997 F-350 CC DRW 2WD
DP Tuner
4" Exhaust
Gauges
Banks Intercooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 AM

My Photos: (17)
Yes. Look at my signature & you will see that my last truck was an 05 F-350 SRW. I towed my last 5th wheel (14,000 pounds) with it & it did fine. Having said all that, I LOVE my 13 F-350 dually & Im never going back to SRW again. I never felt unsafe or insecure with the SRW truck, but the DRW is just that much better. My present 5th wheel weighs 16,400 pounds loaded & ready to travel so I really believe that DRW is much better, maybe even necessary, for a rig that heavy. Hey, nobody ever complained about having too much truck.
In your case, I would only consider a SRW F-350 if there are parking issues or if you needed the short bed. Bear in mind that a long bed, either SRW or DRW, will have a larger fuel tank which is a really nice benefit as well.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:17 AM

Another vote for a dually. I tow a 24' car hauler that weights 10,000 lbs. I had a 99 SRW long bed and it did OK. I went to a 02 dually and it was night and day difference in stability. Towing became an effortless endeavor. Now, I have a 14 dually and holy crap! Not only do I have stability, but a motor, transmission and brakes that make it truly amazing. And, better mileage by about 30%.

Tom

02 CC XLT Dually 4x2, PSD w/6 spd, White w/Med Flint 40/20/40, TTT Mirrors, 4.10 L/S, PCM=AEB4, Receiver, Cab Steps, Homelink X Visor, Husky F&R Mud Flaps, AIS Ford Filter, WD Pyro & Boost in A-pillar, Line-X, Hutch Tank Mod, Pre-Pump Racor 645R30, 4" Banks Monster Exhaust, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Amsoil in Tranny & Diff.
Bye-bye 99 diesel-sucking automatic!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:44 AM

I have a 15 F250 SRW 4x4 and I have pulled my 34' Montana 30,000 miles without issue. Max load on sticker on trailer says 13,000 loaded, not sure if I get that heavy. I always travel with a full tank of fresh water. I have been across the U.S. twice from Ca. to Maine and from Ca to Florida. Been as far north as Mackinaw island and Niagara Falls in Canada to Portland Maine. South been to Galveston Texas and Disney World in Florida T have towed in wind and rain and my truck felt steady and had enough power to pull any mountain pass and I did a lot of that.
You don't need a DRW unless you need more load carrying capability. A DRW is not very practical for everyday driving way to big and way to long.
I would however go with a 15 or newer truck. The DEF is not that big of a deal. Just be careful you don't buy a deleted truck if you go used. You never know where the tune came from or if the tuner comes with the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in