• 1 Post By Stroking it
  • 1 Post By gearhead1011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
17' 250 Water In Fuel Warning Reduced Power

Hi guys,

So got my 17 new off the lot back in June of 18. I just hit 20k miles. Last Friday the WIF warning came on while i was on my way home from work. I was planning to do an oil change on saturday so figured I would drain it while doing that. Saturday i started the truck and the WIF warning was gone. Took the trash to the dump, hit the car wash and Advance auto for a few things and it was off the whole time. So i do the oil change, fill the DEF and other fuilds and I drain the fuel conditioner. I let the fuel sit for a few hours and it didnt appear to have any water in it. primed the system and truck was running perfect with no WIF warning.

I didnt drive the truck Sunday but today the WIF warning and reduced power warnings are on. So i hit the dealer and grab a fuel filter kit figuring i might as well change it out if I am draining down the conditioner again. So I get home and drain it out (again no water appears to be in the fuel) again and change the filters. Prime the system and no change. So I decided to go fill it up with fuel. Took 20 gallons. Truck is running perfect with no issues. I get home I drain it down again, pop out the WIF sensor, clean it with electrical contact cleaner, clean the connections, put it all back together and no change. Still have the WIF warning and the reduced power notice.

Is there some reset for this thing?

Does anybody know the theory of operation for for the sensor system?

Its got 3 wires going in. Also appears to have a switch on the sensor?

Anyone got any ideas before I head to the dealer?

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:43 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I am having trouble finding information on this for 2017 model year. I can tell you that in past model years that if the WIF lam is illuminated for a certain amount of time the engine will be put in de-rate mode. With that said, you may have triggered that or there is another fault with the WIF circuits or the sensor. There are only three codes related to the WIF sensor and not knowing which may be set. Regardless, code(s) may need to be reset along with the WIF Counter parameter. I would see your dealer. If I find anything more I will post it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
I am having trouble finding information on this for 2017 model year. I can tell you that in past model years that if the WIF lam is illuminated for a certain amount of time the engine will be put in de-rate mode. With that said, you may have triggered that or there is another fault with the WIF circuits or the sensor. There are only three codes related to the WIF sensor and not knowing which may be set. Regardless, code(s) may need to be reset along with the WIF Counter parameter. I would see your dealer. If I find anything more I will post it.
Thanks for the info. I did scan for generic codes but without a better tool I couldn't dig very deep. So last night I disconnected the harness thinking maybe it was wet and giving a false signal. I shook it out and cleaned it and the sensor again with QD then blew out with air. Started the truck and all was well. I start it this morning and it's back to the same. I had several stops to make today and after my first off and back on cycle it's off and hasn't been back since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Shouldn't have to dig too deep as the code would be set in the PCM. If you have verified that there is no water in the seperator it's likely the sensor is crapping out on you. Not a high failure rate item but I have replaced a couple for this concern over the years. I have replaced more for being broken.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:59 PM

Your truck is still under warranty. Why are you doing all this stuff to your truck when the dealer will investigate the CEL for you free. I only change my fuel filters every 30,000 miles so yours should be ok. I do like the idea of draining some fuel from the filter to see if you do indeed have a water problem. When you found none it's dealer time.
ford_doctor likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:33 AM

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroking it View Post
I only change my fuel filters every 30,000 miles so yours should be ok.
If you have a 6.7 truck that's not nearly frequently enough. Ford recommends a 22,000 mile interval and most guys go 15,000. That might seem a little excessive but it's cheap considering the cost of a fuel pump failure.
lincster likes this.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
If you have a 6.7 truck that's not nearly frequently enough. Ford recommends a 22,000 mile interval and most guys go 15,000. That might seem a little excessive but it's cheap considering the cost of a fuel pump failure.
The manual for my 2017 SuperDuty says on page 579 to change the fuel filters at 30,000 miles.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillippeterson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
The manual for my 2017 SuperDuty says on page 579 to change the fuel filters at 30,000 miles.
That's weird cause mine says 22,500 on the same page.

I'm going to end up doing fuel filters every other oil change which I'm doing 7500 miles on those.

I don't buy into this "if the lights on it's already too late logic" we should all sue Ford if that's the case for stupidity in design. If your doing regular fuel filter changes and you do drain it down and do some investigation when the light does come on it I don't think you will have a problem.

I ended up pulling the plug end apart and finding one of the wire gaskets not installed correctly. Put a little silicone on them and all appears to be well.

As for the dealerships we have around here: I called the 3 local ones about the tsb for death wobble and they had to ask me where I found the the tsb. I was then told it would be 3 to 4 weeks before they could get me.

I personally have no interest in dealing with them. Unless I have a major warranty issue I will continue to do my own service and document.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 and up 6.7L Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in