The Diesel Stop banner

'2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Regen Process

23K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Sbuarapha 
#1 ·
I have 2200 miles on my truck. When should it regen? I've done some towing with it, and normal driving. I have never seen any indications whatsoever, that it has done a regen. Any help?

#3 ·
Only indication that I'm aware of is watching the fuel mileage drop (unexpected poor mileage for the way you're driving) or getting out after shutdown and noticing a burnt smell. It appears as if Ford wanted to make it a sort of non-issue type of event; one we shouldn't notice or be concerned with. David

#7 ·
There is a very quick message that pops up saying that regeneration is starting (so quick I've never really noticed the exact words). As was said above, the only way you'll really know is to watch the average fuel guage drop a bit.

Reactions: MrTommy
#8 ·
My message center says "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" for a couple of seconds and the instantaneous fuel economy drops to half what it usually shows for about 15 miles.

#9 ·
I believe you only get the regen message on the 2017s if your regular driving habits aren't sufficient to meet the regen requirements, at which point you're expected to keep driving until the process has completed. I have 25,000 miles on mine and have never seen the message once.

#10 ·
Only time I have noticed anything is during extended idle periods--the RPMs will jump to 12-1300 and stay there for 10mins or so, then drop back. Never seen anything while driving in 15000 miles. Odd smell outside, also, during the high idle event.

#19 ·
Unless they've changed things, Ford uses the passenger side injectors to squirt a little extra during the exhaust stroke. GM used a 9th injector to squirt diesel directly into the exhaust stream.

There's plenty of oxygen in the exhaust, so it burns when it hits the hot catalyst.

#20 ·
Did some research prior to purchasing the current rig, 2018 6.7, and it was my understanding that the DPF was "cleaned" by injecting diesel and raising the exhaust temperature to accomplish that. Cleaning the DPF raised NOx emissions via increased heating (I think that's right) and so the DEF was injected post DPF to reduce exhaust temps (and so NOx emissions). Maybe I've got it right......anyway...

School me if my interpretation is incorrect.....

I believed there was a relation between DPF regens and DEF usage.

#21 ·
DEF only works in the DOC (catalytic converter). The urea in DEF breaks down to ammonia when it hits the hot exhaust stream. The Ammonia reacts with NOX to form Nitrogen and water in the DOC. It would have little to no effect if injected downstream of the DPF where there is no catalyst to aid the reaction. As far as I know, DEF is only injected upstream of the DOC. The rate of injection is determined by NOX sensors downstream of the DOC.

#22 ·
My 2011 had a filter cleaning message, my 2019 does not. I contacted the dealer and they confirmed there is no longer a message displayed.

You can smell burning scent when the truck is in regen and you step outside the truck.

#24 ·
As mentioned DEF is used to reduce NOx.
NOx is produced at high combustion temps. ( Think when the Turbo is in use)

If you have an Edge CTS or other gauge you can see your EGT temps at the 1st probe. High temps mean you are probably using DEF. Low temps you are not.

So when your truck idles at 750 rpm it is showing 300° EGTs. Running at 65 mph on level ground will show 1500 rpm and maybe 500° EGT. Accelerating up the onramp might see 20 psi boost on turbo and 1000° EGT. And towing 13,000 lbs at 70 mph will more like 800-900°, And trying to hold that 70 mph up a 7% grade will read more like 1100°

I don't know what the kick in temp is where DEF starts to inject. But it's safe to say at idle you are not using any and at full throttle you are.

Your emissions in the exhaust pipe are really two separate parts. DPF to clean soot and SCR to remove NOx.

On another note, Your Passive Regens will happen anytime your EGTs exceed 572°. So if you get over 572° and are not producing excess Soot, Your passive regen will burn off the soot in your DPF.

#25 ·
I can tell when it’s in regen. It will sound like the fan is engaged and your truck feel like exhaust brake is on. It’s a bit more jerky. Or open your windows and you will smell a burning smell. But never seen a message for it. Filled up def 3 times now. Only at the big truck stop no issue except pump keeps kicking off every couple of seconds and not even being full yet. It uduallynaround 2.79 a gallon for def and the diesel pumps does not shut off at the 100 dollar limit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.