'2017 F350 Lariat Diesel Regen Process - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:02 PM

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplated5s View Post
DEF usage has nothing to do with regens. New trucks will have longer intervals for regen because they have a clean DPF.
DEF is used in the regen is it not?

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:29 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_man View Post
Nope. Diesel is used to raise exhaust temps to burn out the soot from the DPF.

DEF is used only as a source of ammonia to reduce NOX in the catalytic converter.

There may be a slight increase in DEF usage during a regen, but only because the extra fuel burn could be producing more NOX.

Last edited by Sport45; 11-16-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_man View Post
Nope. Diesel is used to raise exhaust temps to burn out the soot from the DPF.

DEF is used only as a source of ammonia to reduce NOX in the catalytic converter.

There may be a slight increase in DEF usage during a regen, but only because the extra fuel burn could be producing more NOX.
Thanks for the lesson. I didn’t know that.
Can you describe how the diesel is used to raise exhaust temps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 03:46 PM

Unless they've changed things, Ford uses the passenger side injectors to squirt a little extra during the exhaust stroke. GM used a 9th injector to squirt diesel directly into the exhaust stream.

There's plenty of oxygen in the exhaust, so it burns when it hits the hot catalyst.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Did some research prior to purchasing the current rig, 2018 6.7, and it was my understanding that the DPF was "cleaned" by injecting diesel and raising the exhaust temperature to accomplish that. Cleaning the DPF raised NOx emissions via increased heating (I think that's right) and so the DEF was injected post DPF to reduce exhaust temps (and so NOx emissions). Maybe I've got it right......anyway...

School me if my interpretation is incorrect.....

I believed there was a relation between DPF regens and DEF usage.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 AM

DEF only works in the DOC (catalytic converter). The urea in DEF breaks down to ammonia when it hits the hot exhaust stream. The Ammonia reacts with NOX to form Nitrogen and water in the DOC. It would have little to no effect if injected downstream of the DPF where there is no catalyst to aid the reaction. As far as I know, DEF is only injected upstream of the DOC. The rate of injection is determined by NOX sensors downstream of the DOC.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:34 PM

My 2011 had a filter cleaning message, my 2019 does not. I contacted the dealer and they confirmed there is no longer a message displayed.

You can smell burning scent when the truck is in regen and you step outside the truck.

2019 F350 Platinum, 6.7L, Crewcab, SRW, Shortbox 4x4
2011 F350 King Ranch, 6.7L, Crewcab, SRW, Longbox, (SOLD)
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
DEF only works in the DOC (catalytic converter). The urea in DEF breaks down to ammonia when it hits the hot exhaust stream. The Ammonia reacts with NOX to form Nitrogen and water in the DOC. It would have little to no effect if injected downstream of the DPF where there is no catalyst to aid the reaction. As far as I know, DEF is only injected upstream of the DOC. The rate of injection is determined by NOX sensors downstream of the DOC.

Oops! I see I put the DEF in the wrong catalyst above. The DEF works in the SCR, not the DOC.

'19 F-350 CCLB Lariat SRW Fx4 PSD
Ordered 2-Oct-18 arrived at dealer 20-Nov-19
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 PM

As mentioned DEF is used to reduce NOx.
NOx is produced at high combustion temps. ( Think when the Turbo is in use)

If you have an Edge CTS or other gauge you can see your EGT temps at the 1st probe. High temps mean you are probably using DEF. Low temps you are not.

So when your truck idles at 750 rpm it is showing 300 EGTs. Running at 65 mph on level ground will show 1500 rpm and maybe 500 EGT. Accelerating up the onramp might see 20 psi boost on turbo and 1000 EGT. And towing 13,000 lbs at 70 mph will more like 800-900, And trying to hold that 70 mph up a 7% grade will read more like 1100

I don't know what the kick in temp is where DEF starts to inject. But it's safe to say at idle you are not using any and at full throttle you are.

Your emissions in the exhaust pipe are really two separate parts. DPF to clean soot and SCR to remove NOx.

On another note, Your Passive Regens will happen anytime your EGTs exceed 572. So if you get over 572 and are not producing excess Soot, Your passive regen will burn off the soot in your DPF.

15 F350 CC Lariat SRW LWB Ruby Red, Ultra Predator Wheels with Toyo 295/65R20, BAKflip Fibermax tonneau, Diesel Products LED lights in the rear bumper and 20" light bar in the front bumper, Firestone Airbags and Airllift Wireless compressor.
11 F350 CC Lariat SRW LWB Tuxedo Black Sold at 145,000 milesl
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM

I can tell when its in regen. It will sound like the fan is engaged and your truck feel like exhaust brake is on. Its a bit more jerky. Or open your windows and you will smell a burning smell. But never seen a message for it. Filled up def 3 times now. Only at the big truck stop no issue except pump keeps kicking off every couple of seconds and not even being full yet. It uduallynaround 2.79 a gallon for def and the diesel pumps does not shut off at the 100 dollar limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 and up 6.7L Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in