'2017 Ford 6.7L diesel issues that I should be on the watch for? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2017 Ford 6.7L diesel issues that I should be on the watch for?

I've had diesels my whole life. Very first truck was a 87 F-250 with the 6.9 non turbo, next was a 94 crew cab 7.3, next was a 96 crew cab manual crew cab 4x4, then a 2004 6.0 (which was one of the best trucks I've ever owned.) And now I currently have a 17 crew cab with the 6.7.

My question is: what should I look out for? All my previous trucks I knew what to look for and I've gone through the engines and trans from top to bottom on a couple of them. But this thing is totally new to me. And I can't find anything anywhere where ppl talk about specific issues. I've seen a post here and there about random crap that goes wrong. But I'm looking for what is for sure going to go wrong, or has at least a higher percentage chance of going wrong. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 05:01 PM

My Photos: (3)
Here's to hoping that you don't get any solid pitfalls with our trucks!! So far, mine has been great aside from some phone/ipod interface issues.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:53 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucald4amarine View Post
My question is: what should I look out for? All my previous trucks I knew what to look for and I've gone through the engines and trans from top to bottom on a couple of them. But this thing is totally new to me. And I can't find anything anywhere where ppl talk about specific issues. I've seen a post here and there about random crap that goes wrong. But I'm looking for what is for sure going to go wrong, or has at least a higher percentage chance of going wrong. Help?

There is good reason for that. As a Ford dealer technician for the last 30 years for once I can say with regard to the F-Series trucks Ford has finally gotten their heads out of their asses and worked on their product over the last several years. Specifically, your 2017 Super duty is the one of the best vehicles Ford has produced in a the modern era. The second generation 6.7L Power Stroke is stout and we are seeing fewer quality related issues than we have in a long time. Same for the transmission as the Torqshift 6 is a strong, reliable unit with most of the quirks worked out by now. It is too early to say there are any noteworthy pattern failures to be aware of so time will tell. The Super Duty truck has been fairly solid for years now... yes, the emissions controls are complex and have issues related to continued growing pains as the aftertreatment systems continue to evolve... to be honest I see more customer induced problems now than product issues at this point. I would be more worried about someone like you trying to "go though" this truck if ever needed. They are complex and require a good understanding of electronics, networking and the various subsystems not to mention the necessary diagnostic equipment and resources needed to diagnose your truck. There is a good reason good technicians to work on them are scarce, this shyt ain't easy!

Relax and enjoy your truck!

jetboatrich likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Listen to your doctor. He knows what he is talking about. It is good though to hear this kind of thing. After my 2011 died with only 78K on it, I really had to work hard to convince myself to get another 6.7L. But I have been watching the boards and watching the reports. And it does look to be the best of the big three. While I am still a bit devastated by my '11, I am thoroughly enjoying my new truck. Well, not so much after the first payment (of many). Yikes!!

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

That's good to hear. I will admit I am a little sad that gone are the days when I could work on my own vehicle. It was one of my greatest joys to be able to fix my own vehicle. Or, more often then not,. Fix a family members or friends vehicle. But, as long as I can continue to be the one that everyone looks to for a tow, I guess it can't be all bad.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:43 AM

Garage
But I did not say they are perfect... the random issues are always going to exist on any vehicle line. The 2017 and newer trucks are still new and patterns have yet to be established. Lets hope they are indeed few. After sleeping on my earlier post I realize I would be remiss if I didn't mention upper oil pan leaks which at this point in time is the only thing that stands out in my mind. Another tech might have different experiences. It's too bad more do not participate in public forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucald4amarine View Post
That's good to hear. I will admit I am a little sad that gone are the days when I could work on my own vehicle. It was one of my greatest joys to be able to fix my own vehicle. Or, more often then not,. Fix a family members or friends vehicle. But, as long as I can continue to be the one that everyone looks to for a tow, I guess it can't be all bad.

Oh but there are still a lot of basic things you can still do that has not really changed much like brakes and general chassis work, servicing, and so on. I would say anything electrical short of changing a bulb for example is what has become complex. There are very few electrical things now that don't involve a module somewhere in their operation. In fact, that would make a fun trivia question: "What electrical systems or components DO NOT involve a module to operate on a late model Super Duty?" Have fun with that.

Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 11-02-2018 at 05:49 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:50 AM

I would say the glove box light. I would be right since they did away with the glove box light it certainly does not involve a module....
My guess is that there isn't anything built as factory equipment. The accessories via upfitter may be outside of module control.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I would say the glove box light. I would be right since they did away with the glove box light it certainly does not involve a module.....

Sorry, it does. The glove box lamp is one of the on demand lights that is monitored and powered by the BCM and the power is controlled by the BCM and the battery saver relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
My guess is that there isn't anything built as factory equipment. The accessories via upfitter may be outside of module control.

Oh you unwittingly stumbled onto the one thing that is NOT module controlled. The upfitter switches and relays do not involve a module.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 02:59 PM

The fact that the up-fitter switches are not really surprises me. I would have expected those to be monitored, basically as you described for the battery saver. Thanks for the interesting knowledge tidbit

2017 F450 DRW 4X4 Platinum - Pearl While - what can I say, just can't stop trading up.
2015 F450 DRW 4X4 King Ranch - way more than I need but couldn't pass up the deal
2012 F350 DRW 4X4
2011 F350 DRW 4X2 (discovered I really used the 4-wheel drive more than I remembered.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 and up 6.7L Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in