Brand new '2018 F350 Platinum Crew Cab Death Wobble - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the death wobble in my 2011 truck. It's not a subtle shaking in the steering wheel. It's a violent shaking.

For me it was initiated at speeds above 40mph and usually if I hit a bump on a left hand sweeping turn. ie Freeway overpass with bridge expansion joint will set this off. It would continue to shake violently until I decreased the speed below 40 mph.

At 36,000 miles Ford replaced the Steering Dampner. Which corrected the problem for a long time. Around 90,000-95,000 miles it returned. I put in a new Bilstien Steering Dampner and it did not fix the problem but helped. New Tires helped a lot, But at 105,000 I replaced my front hubs and that finally fixed the problem.

My 2017 truck has the Lane Keep. Yes my steering wheel vibrates if I cross a lane without signaling. But it doesn't cause the truck to almost loose control.

15 F350 CC Lariat SRW LWB Ruby Red, Ultra Predator Wheels with Toyo 295/65R20, BAKflip Fibermax tonneau, Diesel Products LED lights in the rear bumper and 20" light bar in the front bumper, Firestone Airbags and Airllift Wireless compressor.
11 F350 CC Lariat SRW LWB Tuxedo Black Sold at 145,000 milesl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I would agree it is not at a death wobble level that I have experienced with some previous vehicles I have worked on. But it is a serious shaking that given certain road conditions and towing, I do not like nor feel is safe. I have since turned it off and left it off. It is sensitive enough that it picks up asphalt sealant markings which is what threw me off in the beginning.

I love the truck but Ford could have done lane departure notification much different. Bells, buzzers, heck even a vibrating steering wheel? I have seat vibrators so I know that's possible.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msell View Post
I've had some violent shake going on with my 18 F350 for some time (just rolled 10,000 miles). It only happens when going over potholes, sewer covers and such while the truck is going around any corner at speeds above 25MPH. It will rip the wheel out of your hands for just a split second, have a couple oscillations and then back to normal. Until today, I've not bothered much with it since it rarely happens but decided to talk to the local Ford service guys and have an appt for next Thursday (Jan 24th) so they can look it over.
There is a TSB out there: 18-2268 that may apply. I'll report back what the dealer finds out.

I'm used to driving all kinds of ill handling trucks, and race cars, so I never really cared much about it since it isn't up to the "death wobble" level.
Finally had a chance to get the truck in for this. They found the problem to be the stock steering stabilizer shock. Since Ford had a TSB out on it, it was probably bad from day one. Had them rotate the tires since they were working on it too. Drove it home tonight over the same manhole covers and it drove normal over them. No more steering wheel getting yanked or truck jumping sideways.

*I do not have any of that lane changing alert garbage*

-Mark-

2000 F250 XL, 7.3 PSD, 4WD, 8' bed, Gooseneck, 159,940 miles (Sold)
2018 F350 XL Supercab, 6.7 PSD, 4WD, DRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to pipeliner345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennB51 View Post
Possibly a lane departure warning. My 2018 has that, it will cause the steering wheel to shake if I drive close to the lane markings without using the turn signal.
This!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2011 F-350 6.7 CC DRW 4X4
2011 40' stoneridge 5'er
2011 21' shallowsport bahia
2008 F350 6.4 CC DRW 4x4 ---sold good truck
2003 F350 6.0 CC DRW 4x4 ---sold (POS)
1999 F250 7.3 CC SRW 4x4 ---sold best one YET!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to pipeliner345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
I had the death wobble in my 2011 truck. It's not a subtle shaking in the steering wheel. It's a violent shaking.

For me it was initiated at speeds above 40mph and usually if I hit a bump on a left hand sweeping turn. ie Freeway overpass with bridge expansion joint will set this off. It would continue to shake violently until I decreased the speed below 40 mph.

At 36,000 miles Ford replaced the Steering Dampner. Which corrected the problem for a long time. Around 90,000-95,000 miles it returned. I put in a new Bilstien Steering Dampner and it did not fix the problem but helped. New Tires helped a lot, But at 105,000 I replaced my front hubs and that finally fixed the problem.

My 2017 truck has the Lane Keep. Yes my steering wheel vibrates if I cross a lane without signaling. But it doesn't cause the truck to almost loose control.
You just wrote my story with my 2011. .........it was horrific. They finally had to change the castor or camber, can't remember, that worked for about 6k miles and it began again. I had to get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2011 F-350 6.7 CC DRW 4X4
2011 40' stoneridge 5'er
2011 21' shallowsport bahia
2008 F350 6.4 CC DRW 4x4 ---sold good truck
2003 F350 6.0 CC DRW 4x4 ---sold (POS)
1999 F250 7.3 CC SRW 4x4 ---sold best one YET!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:00 AM

Garage
late reply, fyi we have a 2016 F-550 with 22K on it that goes into the death wobble once in a while. dealer says they can't find anything wrong.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM

I also have a 2014 crew cab f350 4x4 with the infamous death wobble. Ford has worked on it umpteen times always a ford shop to work on it and same answer everytime that everything is within Fords recommendations. I bought it used with 30,000 miles and started having trouble around 60,000 they have replaced pert near every part on the front end including drivers side spring for it leaning. I have around 105,000 on it now and same problem over and over again seems to last anywhere from just down the road up to around 20,000 miles everytime they “fix” it at this point I’m begging for help
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestix View Post
I also have a 2014 crew cab f350 4x4 with the infamous death wobble. Ford has worked on it umpteen times always a ford shop to work on it and same answer everytime that everything is within Fords recommendations. I bought it used with 30,000 miles and started having trouble around 60,000 they have replaced pert near every part on the front end including drivers side spring for it leaning. I have around 105,000 on it now and same problem over and over again seems to last anywhere from just down the road up to around 20,000 miles everytime they “fix” it at this point I’m begging for help

I have had the death wobble issues on vehicles in the past. Lift kits not installed correctly to front end alignment being off a little

None of the posts here (that are Not the lane departure warning system) talk about if the truck is stock or modified with any different tires, lifts or shocks.
Curious how many have the issue that have stock configuration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

'01 F350 Lariat PSD 4X4 CC SWR LB auto
Superchip 60hp, 4" cat back, A-pillar w/auto meter gages, Firestone Air bags, Bilsteins, Radio Speed Volume Mod, XM Roady

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96STROKE View Post
Quote:

I have had the death wobble issues on vehicles in the past. Lift kits not installed correctly to front end alignment being off a little

None of the posts here (that are Not the lane departure warning system) talk about if the truck is stock or modified with any different tires, lifts or shocks.
Curious how many have the issue that have stock configuration?

My truck is completely stock
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:58 PM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
My truck is completely stock

Do you know what measurements were after each alignment and did you have alignment checked when wobble had taken place?

My Jeep didn’t need much adjustment for the wobble to appear, as well as very little adjustment to correct it

'01 F350 Lariat PSD 4X4 CC SWR LB auto
Superchip 60hp, 4" cat back, A-pillar w/auto meter gages, Firestone Air bags, Bilsteins, Radio Speed Volume Mod, XM Roady

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:26 PM

Don’t really know was under a warranty I bought when I bought the truck so I always took it to a ford shop and let them do the work speculating that they somewhat knew what they were doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 and up 6.7L Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in