Did dealer fry my front diff during delivery? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did dealer fry my front diff during delivery?

Just purchased a '19 XLT PS longbed crew cab. I bought it from a dealer who is at a bit of a distance from me, and as part of the deal, they promised to bring it to me. Great!

Got it last week with about 260 miles on it, and I have put another 100 on it. I noticed that if I made a hard right or left turn in a parking lot, that I would hear a clicking noise from the front end. I thought it odd, but it didn't registered until tonight that it was likely the 4wd hubs were locked. I went out and checked, and sure enough, the hubs were manually locked. Damn!

To say that I am pissed is an understatement.

I remember with my old truck, that when I would forget to remove the 4wd, that it would darn near hop if I tried a turn on pavement. I'm hoping that since it had not been engaged into 4wd, that the front diff had enough slip that the front end likely did not get damaged, but I am here looking for opinions.

Can I have your thoughts please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:20 AM

The hubs were locked, but the driveshaft from the transfer Case wasn’t engaged. Didn’t hurt anything but maybe burned some extra fuel. Lots of people leave front hubs engaged during the winter, myself included. Wouldn’t worry about it. I even lock mine at times just to spin the bearing for a few miles
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:32 AM

My Photos: (8)
It should be fine. I lock my hubs in the fall and don't unlock them until May.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:48 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Correctamundooooooo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Jeeps don't even have locking hubs up front anymore and they do just fine. I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't gone that route on the trucks.

18 F350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
Jeeps don't even have locking hubs up front anymore and they do just fine. I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't gone that route on the trucks.

Two good reasons. They say that engaging the front axles and turning the gears and shafts affects fuel economy. Second, I can't tell you how many times I have had a line on a repair order that says "knocking noise when turning" due to the front universal joints on tight turns.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Two good reasons. They say that engaging the front axles and turning the gears and shafts affects fuel economy. Second, I can't tell you how many times I have had a line on a repair order that says "knocking noise when turning" due to the front universal joints on tight turns.
Agreed, but as trucks have become more car-like and user friendly I figured it'd be one of the things that changed. I've seen several trucks stuck/struggling in snow and ice because they didn't have their hubs locked. Went up to them to offer help and asked if the hubs were locked and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Locked the hubs for them and they were all set and drove off without issue.

18 F350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:49 AM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
Chevys are locked all the time. Have been for years.
Doesn’t hurt anything.

2019 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Agate Black, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
2012 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:00 PM

I prefer the manual locking hubs. I can unlock and then go to 4x4 low when backing the trailer/5th wheel. It is much easier on the auto tranny and so slow it makes backing easy. Manual transfer case can also be placed in neutral and truck towed at for long distance without removing the driveshaft. That is what I would call user friendly.
DENNY

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 02:25 PM

ESOF hubs can be disabled by simply unplugging a solenoid under the hood in the rare case I want to use 2wd low range. The transfer case can also be put into neutral for 4-down towing. Itís not as easy to get it into neutral as it was with the floor shifter, but then you donít have to worry about it being bumped into neutral accidentally either.

'19 F-350 CCLB Lariat SRW Fx4 PSD
Ordered 2-Oct-18 arrived at dealer 20-Nov-19
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:18 AM

Good info!! When I was looking for a truck I passed on some good deals due to ESOF. How do you get it to Neutral?
DENNY

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:14 PM

Did I mention it wasnít as easy as with a floor shifter?

Four-wheel Drive Vehicles Equipped with an Electronic-shift Transfer Case
Only tow a four-wheel drive vehicle that has an electronic-shift transfer case with all wheels on the ground. To do this, place the transfer case in its neutral position and engage the four-wheel-down towing feature.
Perform the steps in the following section after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.
Note: Make sure you properly secure your vehicle to the tow vehicle.
Four-wheel-down Towing
1. Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to on. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to
2H.
4. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
5. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch from 2H to 4L and back to 2H five times within seven seconds.
Note: If completed successfully, the information display shows a message indicating that your vehicle is safe to tow with all wheels on the ground.
Note: If you do not see the message in the display, you must perform the procedure again from the beginning.
Note: You may hear an audible noise as the transfer case shifts into its neutral position. This is normal.
6. Leave the transmission in neutral (N) and turn the ignition as far as it will go toward the off position (it will not turn fully off when the transmission is in neutral). If your vehicle has an ignition key, you must leave the key in the ignition while towing. To lock and unlock your vehicle, use the keyless entry keypad or extra set of keys. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal. You do not need to leave your keys in the vehicle. You can lock and unlock your vehicle as you normally do.
7. Release the brake pedal.

'19 F-350 CCLB Lariat SRW Fx4 PSD
Ordered 2-Oct-18 arrived at dealer 20-Nov-19
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Okay, please clarify how to use 4x4.

I have for the first time a Super Duty 4x4.

On my F150, I turn the ESOF knob to 4x4 and go.....is that not the same on the Super Duty?

On the Super Duty there is the ESOF knob, but on the front wheels, there is a knob that says LOCK and AUTO.

If I want to use 4x4, say in snowy conditions, is it not as simple as turning the knob while driving?

2019 F350 Platinum, 6.7L, Crewcab, SRW, Shortbox 4x4
2011 F350 King Ranch, 6.7L, Crewcab, SRW, Longbox, (SOLD)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:50 AM

If you have auto locking hubs they will automatically lock and unlock, sometimes it takes a few seconds. Having the manual lock lets you lock the hubs ahead of time, or if you are having an issue with the auto lock hub and now you only have to worry about the transfer case shifting. I would say one of the keys to keeping the ESOF system working well is to use it every few weeks even during the summer. If you don't have any dirt roads or raining days, just switch it in and out of 4x4 on a straight stretch of road. I lock my manual hubs in the fall and unlock in the spring, I have manual transfer case that I shift in and out of 4x4 on most trip daily. In the summer when it is raining I also use 4x4 on steep hills, especially when empty because the rear just won't hold the power some days. I don't worry a lot if the road gets dry for a ways, stress to the system is cause by tight turns with the 4x4 engaged. That I do avoid whenever I can.
DENNY

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I would study your Owners Manual for ESOF instructions specific to your model year.

Like Dwnny auggested, use it in the rain or gravel in the summer for a few miles to keep it in good shape.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 and up 6.7L Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in