High Silicons in oil - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:03 PM

My Photos: (8)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have in the past done a lot of testing when I got my first 99. Reg old Rotillia was still good at 6,000 so that is what I went to for change interval. Then we took the truck to Italy and oil was very expensive. So I did the AMSOIL single bypass and went extended drain. I would usually run it 20,000-30,000 miles with no problems only reason I changed was usually I had valve cover/turbo off for one upgrade or another so just figured I would change in case some crap got in the oil. If you are going to change at say 25,000 I would only test it through the first run. Once you know it will go that long, just do one test at the final drain or not at all. Most people don't test the oil when doing 5-10 grand changes and never think twice about it. I usually put less than 10,000 miles on my trucks now so I only change once a year. Time is money so if you put a lot of miles on your truck in one year 50,000 eliminating 4 oil changes will pay for itself in both supplies and labor. No right or wrong just things to think about.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Amzoil costs $$$, add to that the requirements of testing $$$.....Please show me the math where you save $$$$$$$$ when going to longer OCI. Please include all costs.
Amsoil with filter $175 plus $35 OA = $210 every 25,000 miles

Motorcraft with filter $160 every plus #35 OA = $195 every 7500 Miles

I only tested frequently until my baseline was established, according to Amsoil OA I can extend the service interval if wanted but would have to add another $30 for new filter and $12 for the extra quart of oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
I have in the past done a lot of testing when I got my first 99. Reg old Rotillia was still good at 6,000 so that is what I went to for change interval. Then we took the truck to Italy and oil was very expensive. So I did the AMSOIL single bypass and went extended drain. I would usually run it 20,000-30,000 miles with no problems only reason I changed was usually I had valve cover/turbo off for one upgrade or another so just figured I would change in case some crap got in the oil. If you are going to change at say 25,000 I would only test it through the first run. Once you know it will go that long, just do one test at the final drain or not at all. Most people don't test the oil when doing 5-10 grand changes and never think twice about it. I usually put less than 10,000 miles on my trucks now so I only change once a year. Time is money so if you put a lot of miles on your truck in one year 50,000 eliminating 4 oil changes will pay for itself in both supplies and labor. No right or wrong just things to think about.
DENNY
Correct, I only test at time of oil change. The frequent changes in beginning were to establish a baseline where I would determine change intervals. I am turning about 50,000 miles annually, lots of driving.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 PM

$160 for oil? $77.26 DIY.
HeavyAssault likes this.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Motorcraft with filter $160 every plus #35 OA = $195 every 7500 Miles
That must be that new Common Core Math. LOL

Not sure how you get to $160 or why you want to add the $35 OA (not really required for 7500 mile changes) to the cost but hey...you do you.

Quote:
Amsoil with filter $175 plus $35 OA = $210 every 25,000 miles
Do you honestly go 25k without any additional oil added or filter changes?? What flavor of Amzoil are you using??

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:44 PM

My Photos: (8)
I would change my main filter at 10-12 grand and Bypass at 25 grand. Makeup oil was as usual, fresh oil was good for about 5 grand than used a Qt every 2 grand give or take how hard it is working. Oil usage is about the same with or without bypass once you have 4-5 grand on the oil.
DENNY
HeavyAssault and Turbo X like this.

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That must be that new Common Core Math. LOL

Not sure how you get to $160 or why you want to add the $35 OA (not really required for 7500 mile changes) to the cost but hey...you do you.

Damn dude, you gotta get the last word in dont you ?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...il+5w-40&pos=8

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

x 3 = $120 You Follow me so far ?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...l+filter&pos=7

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

$120 + $20= $140

$140 + $35 OA because Its my truck, I pay the note and can do whatever the F&@K I want and I want to know how my motor is wearing. I call it simple addition and multiplication , no calculator required.

I trust Amsoil in their claims that the oil can go extended intervals, I trust the engineering that says the filter can go what it does and I trust Blackstone Labs telling me oil can go further, I just choose to change it at 25K versus pushing it further. These are both ISO companies who spend millions of $ in research to provide the info they do. You show me something factual that you have and I will believe it but just because you say and are a keyboard warrior doesn't hold a damn drop of water to what I have.

I asked a simple question about what could be causing high silicone levels and you have derailed the post into criticizing my routine maintenance schedule. Thanks to those who provided help and I dont have a problem answer questions for other forum members but damn dude you come off as a dick

Quote:
Do you honestly go 25k without any additional oil added or filter changes?? What flavor of Amzoil are you using??
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=DEOQT-EA

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=OTLQT-EA

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ullDescription
Yes I do go 25K without any additional oil, I use a filter that's rated for that mileage and the truck doesn't burn a drop of oil and I check weekly(roughly 1000 miles) Do you have secret intel that says I should add when not consuming or losing oil ? My truck will be 2 years old in 4 weeks, I have 95,000 miles where all Ive done is change the oil, trans fluid 30K,60K,90K, Transfilter, fuel filters and air filter and its never been into Ford House for a thing. Its the best diesel I have owned I doubt I will have it another year but I am about to delete it just to increase fuel economy. The truck has made me 10s of 1000s of $$$ by moving a 12,000# piece of machinery between sites in Texas as well as moved over 1,000,000 #s of Quartz and Granite between Dallas, Austin and San Antonio. When loaded with Stone or machinery, Im right under the 25,999#s before I need a CDL or DOT.

Damn dude, you gotta get the last word in dont you ?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...il+5w-40&pos=8

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

x 3 = $120 You Follow me so far ?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...l+filter&pos=7

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

$120 + $20= $140

$140 + $35 OA because Its my truck, I pay the note and can do whatever the F&@K I want and I want to know how my motor is wearing.
Stroking it likes this.

Last edited by Turbo X; 10-16-2019 at 01:55 AM.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:47 PM

My Photos: (6)
Okay...all you had to say was..."I want to spend the most money on oil I possibly can cause I want to."

That's really all you had to say.

Enjoy the 25k intervals.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 PM

How much fuel is in the oil at 25K miles?
Silica also comes from pavement dust (sand dust).
What air filter are you using?

Last edited by frank faucheux; 10-21-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Frank,

< 0.5 Fuel, I use Ford Filters. Silica is introduced via the intake system but comes from many different orgins.

Thanks
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 03:59 AM

Thread now painfully long to read through.

High Silica in UOA.

Out of curiosity, do you run Blackstone tests at 10,000 miles?

What are the silica levels?

I don’t know what the silica should be at 25K miles because very few people run 25K mile OCI.

Many people run 10K mile OCI and so there is a good baseline average established.

My own opinion is you need a dual filter bypass filter like I said in my first post.

It is very impressive that you have worked that engine so hard and it does not burn a quart of oil in 25K miles.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 10-22-2019 at 04:02 AM.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Thread now painfully long to read through.

High Silica in UOA.

Out of curiosity, do you run Blackstone tests at 10,000 miles?

What are the silica levels?

I don’t know what the silica should be at 25K miles because very few people run 25K mile OCI.

Many people run 10K mile OCI and so there is a good baseline average established.

My own opinion is you need a dual filter bypass filter like I said in my first post.

It is very impressive that you have worked that engine so hard and it does not burn a quart of oil in 25K miles.
All OA results are in the attached OA on page 1.

It doesn't burn a drop, Im very impressed and to say Ford did a great job is a understatement. I do some hauling but Im guessing that only around 20% has anything more than a 1000# Jetski and trailer behind it.

I make a 500 mile round trip at least once a week, daily commute is at least 150 miles and on weekend the truck has more room for wife a kids. This truck doesn't get any rest, very impressed with everything about it.

Thank you for your comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 and up 6.7L Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in