The Diesel Stop banner

Tranny Temp in the '2017 F250

44K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Turbo X 
#1 ·
just curious, What temperatures are you all seeing in your transmissions in the 2017's. Just around town driving. My buddy has a F350 and he only see's around 187 I am seeing 200 to 205 around town no towning.

I am also hearing a noise at low RMP when i start to accelerate and when at low speeds like around 10 mph where I dont get out od 1st or 2nd gear. It goes away one I get around 3rd gear or 20mph or so. Almost sounds like a fan clutch roaring or motor reving but RPM stays same. And clue??

#10 ·
If you have the seat coolers they are clearly audible at low speeds, too.

#13 ·
240 F is the new 220 F. Longer oil drain intervals are safer if oil sheds fuel and moisture that gets in it from cold starts and also from regen in-cylinder fuel sourcing. If the oil is 210-220 sustained that is fine with modern high quality oils. Paraffinic crusting that some older oils did at high temps is a thing of the past. Higher temps will evaporate those things from oil. Oil coolers will keep temps in check but coolant temps are higher to support higher efficiency and to do part of the oil temp support. ATF will get hotter due to the trans being bolted to a hotter engine. The secondary cooling system addresses that cooling task but again that thing about adding coolers until ATF is no hotter than 160 F is not the goal of the engineers. They know 200-210 F fluid requires less fuel to pump and good quality ATF that they spec is not stressed at that temp. Heat is shed for sound reasons and not for the "cooler is better" sentiment that we all harbor.

The electric fan clutch is used to keep A/C high side pressure in check and it runs at a lower setting when sitting until road speed supports air flow w/o fan. I think the fan is likely what you are hearing. Turn off a/c and see if the noise is gone or much reduced.

#14 ·
I did 2400 miles from Houston to Colorado (Gunnison, Aspen) in mid-July (2017 Platinum F350 Dually) towing my 28' ATC toy hauler (total gross combined VWR (truck/trailer/stuff) was only 19000lbs) and even flat ground, Texas heat (104 ish on the dash) I saw trans temps 214-236, and about the same when we hit some of those 10% grades in the mountains. I was doing 65 mph, truck wasn't struggling at all obviously with the weight.

I did find this in the 2017 manual:

For high altitude operation, reduce the gross combined weight by 2% per 1000 feet (300 meters) starting at the 1000 foot (300 meter) elevation point.

(with that logic at 10,000-12,000 ft, thats 20-24% or 6,000-7,200 lbs (GCVWR from 30,000 to 22,800) )

For vehicles equipped with 5-speed transmissions, check the fluid at the normal operating temperature of 151°F(66°C) to 170°F (77°C) on a level surface.

For vehicles equipped with 6-speed transmissions, check the fluid at the normal operating temperature of 196°F(91°C) to 215°F (102°C) on a level surface.The normal operating temperature can bereached after approximately 19 mi

(30 km).

At first I thought it may be hot, but apparently its not. the "meter" part of the gauge never left mid-point, even though when the digital temp gets to 210+ it starts showing the temp above the dummy gauge on the gauge cluster.

Im doing 1500 miles (El Paso and back) this coming weekend, Ill double check the fluid levels, but I think 220-230 isn't a thing anymore.

#16 ·
Tranny got up to 214 and I was concerned. Then I saw a couple of spikes to 225 that lasted for a minute or two - then back to 210. It has been very dusty driving conditions, hot ambient up to 93 degrees, and driving uphill. But the temps went back down to 210.

Maybe I need to get a hose and wash the radiators if it doesn't rain soon.

Guess I spoke too soon about tranny temps never going over 210.

#17 ·
I towed a very light ATC trailer (5400 empty) with a RZR in it, to El Paso and back. (750 miles on way, 90-100 degree temps)

on the way there, I saw 225-227 and on the way back towards Houston (trailer was EMPTY) at 70mph (speed limits are 80), I saw 215-220. Some sections I moved to 75mph, and saw 225-237 degrees.

I can't find anything that tells me that's normal, but the "gauge" was 3/4 the way to the right at 235+. never saw 240, but I've also never had a superduty where I saw the temp gauge climb like this one. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Just call me "foot in the mouth" guy. Yesterday going over Canadian Rockies the tranny it 245 degrees several times. It didn't stay long thank goodness. I read the owners manual looking for normal temperature range and there was no information.

Anybody know Ford's definition of "normal temperature?"

#19 ·
My 2017 F-350 super duty transmission has been running hotter than my 2012 when towing my 11000 lb fifth wheel. Coming up California 58 from Bakersfield to Tehachapi over the weekend, I saw 227 on the digital read out. Engine oil temp was about 230. I was down to 15 mph to try to keep a lid on the tranny temp. The analog tranny temp gauge never got into the out of range zone. I've seen 217 on other climbs. On flat terrain, no head wind, I see about 196 to 198 when towing the RV. I maintain about 63 mph in that situation. I don't know what my tranny temp is when I'm driving around town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.