Ford 6.4L diesel billed as cleanest - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
thu

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford 6.4L diesel billed as cleanest

This press release was released by Ford yesterday.

FORD SUPER DUTY TO LEAD DIESEL REVOLUTION WITH CLEANEST, QUIETEST POWER STROKE ENGINE EVER

-- All-new 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty pickup will go on sale in early 2007 with a new 6.4-liter Power Stroke® Diesel that is Ford’s cleanest and quietest diesel ever sold in America.
-- New ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel and advanced diesel particulate filter will provide particulate emissions levels that are equivalent to gasoline engines.
-- Ford to unveil the new Super Duty at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas on Sept. 28.

DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 21, 2006 – Ford will usher in America’s clean diesel era when it introduces the all-new 2008 F-Series Super Duty pickup early next year. The truck’s 6.4-liter Power Stroke® engine will be Ford’s cleanest, quietest pickup diesel ever – with particulate emissions equivalent to a gasoline engine.

“Ford has built its truck reputation on innovation in design, capability and durability,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas, who will unveil the new pickup at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas on Sept. 28. “Clean diesel power will bring even more capability to our new Super Duty pickup – along with a new level of quietness and refinement. It’s what you would expect from America’s truck leader for nearly 30 years, and it’s the sort of innovation you will see throughout our product lineup going forward.”

The all new Power Stroke diesel engine will displace 6.4-liters, which is an increase in displacement from the current 6.0-liter V-8. It will be the first pickup engine in North America to use a high precision, high pressure, common-rail fuel injection system featuring piezo-electric injectors. These advanced injectors allow ultra precise timing of fuel injection for quietness and better emissions.

The new 6.4-liter Power Stroke features advanced emissions equipment, including a new diesel particulate filter that scrubs black smoke from exhaust gases and periodically cleans itself via advanced engine controls.

Pricing, fuel economy and engine specifications – including power and torque ratings – will be available closer to the vehicle going on sale in early 2007.

Diesels: The Most Capable Trucks

Diesel engines have become the powertrain of choice for heavy duty pickup truck buyers in the U.S. because they provide more torque for maximum towing and hauling.

The diesel engine’s torque advantage comes, in part, because the fuel is ignited with compression – the piston’s compression stroke is so intense that the fuel combusts spontaneously. The process is far more efficient than igniting fuel with spark plugs, as in gasoline engines.

Since 2001, annual diesel truck registrations have increased from about 400,000 vehicles in 2001 to more than 500,000 today, and Ford has long been the industry leader.

Ford has sold 1.3 million diesel-powered F-Series pickups in the U.S. since 2001. On an annual basis, Ford sells more diesel-powered pickup trucks than Chevrolet and Dodge combined. Nearly three-quarters of all Ford Super Duty trucks are sold with the Power Stroke diesel.

Ford is engineering in even higher levels of quality into the new Power Stroke engine, and will continue to offer the industry’s best warranty and roadside assistance package, which covers diesel engines for 5 years or 100,000 miles.

America’s Diesel Revolution Begins

Helping to fuel future growth in the U.S. are new low-sulfur fuels that make diesels cleaner to operate. As of October 2006, U.S. governmental regulations will require ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel to be available across the country.

High sulfur content in diesel fuel tends to clog the most advanced diesel engine emissions controls, in much the same way that lead formerly used in gasoline damaged catalytic converters. The new fuel will contain 97 percent less sulfur than conventional diesel, with the sulfur reduced from 500 parts per million (ppm) to 15 ppm.

The new fuel is compatible with the Ford Super Duty trucks that are already on the road, including models with the 6.0-liter and 7.3-liter Power Stroke diesel engines.

Compared with the diesel engines of 10 years ago, today’s diesels have 80 percent lower particulate emissions, 70 percent lower nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions and 15 percent improved fuel consumption, according to the Diesel Technology Forum.

The U.S. EPA estimates that emissions of particulate matter will be further reduced by 250,000 tons per year, and emissions of NOx will be reduced by 4 million tons per year, when the entire U.S. diesel engine fleet has been fully turned over to clean diesel technology by 2030.

Since diesel engines are able to extract more energy from a given quantity of fuel, they can also help reduce CO2 emissions through improved fuel economy.

The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that a 30 percent penetration of clean diesel technology in the U.S. passenger vehicle market by 2020 would reduce net crude oil imports by 350,000 barrels per day.

Ford Committed to Clean Technologies

Ford Motor Company is committed to introducing innovative technologies that improve fuel economy, reduce vehicle emissions and reduce the country’s reliance on imported oil. These include vehicles that can run on E-85 ethanol, including the flex-fuel F-150, and hybrids, such as the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner.

In addition, Ford is a leader in hydrogen internal combustion engines, and will deliver more than 20 shuttle buses equipped with the engines to customers this year. Ford also is actively engaged in research on other bio-fuels and is deploying advanced engine and transmission technologies across its powertrain lineup.

DSB'd: '00 F-250SD SC 4x4 SB Lariat PSD, auto, ESOF, ABS, 3.73LS, Towing pkg, OWL Tires, prem stereo, Captain's Chairs, Protecta bed mat, cubby hole mat, Lund X-Terminator. Oxford White/Harvest Gold. It's all mine! Valentine One (everything else is just a toy). AOPA, EAA, & NRA. Wyoming Pilot Representative for "50 Flags to Kitty Hawk", EAA's 100th Anniversary Celebration of the Wright Brothers' First Powered Flight at Kitty Hawk, N.C.:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 02:17 PM

Re: Ford 6.4L diesel billed as cleanest

Thanks. Already posted here. For me lots of blah-blah and even more bs. Compare to 03. They claimed the same then.

Jim

2009 F250 PSD 4x4 CC LB KR

2007 Suburban LT3
2007 Yukon XL Denali

2005 F250 PSD 4x4 CC LB KR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 PM

Is it strange that they don't mention hp/torque numbers?

I wish they would talk about offering clean diesel minivans and foci, like they do in Europe, or a clean diesel Expedition. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." - Sir Winston Churchill

May your road stay clear & dry, may your fuel never gel, and may you never be outsmarted by your idiot lights.

2002 F-250 XLT SC LB 4x4 7.3PSD 6-Sp 3.73 L-S, Snugtop Snuglid Tonneau, 235/85 MC HTRs, <span style="color: red">DPTuner F5</span> AFE Stg II, Turbo LifeSaver, MAP BRV, Autometer Cobalts, Magnaflow 4", WW, TAG, AIH del, CCV, AirDog, In-tank, Harpoon, HPX, ITP fuel sys, LL8 del, 203*, Oilguard & SP Diesel bypass filtration, ART rotors, PFC pads, Heater Core Ctl Valve, Bilsteins, Velvet Ride Shackles, South Bend Clutch, <span style="color: green">21.27 mpg</span>

2004 <span style="color: red">E</span>-350
XLT Wagon 6.0PSD 3.55 L-S TDM EZ-Entry 11 pass., AIC, custom MBRP 4" w/dual Aeroturbines, Airdog, harpoon, Overhead Cobalts

. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
OT

My Photos: (8)

No doubt more/real PR media blitz will be coming soon. 6mo. OTR (real world) reports will be interesting.

JJ..yeah, know what your thinking. Like I said, time will tell. No plans to change my current ride, so I'll be one of those reading what others are doing/saying about their new 6.4. You just know someone here is gonna say "hey, Im first to order one etc." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

03 F250 XLT SC/SB 4X4 6L (stock) TqS. SRW 3.73's BD:02/11/03. 01 TL 23' SGII
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:47 PM

I'll enjoy seeing how well the new Fords do... not planning on buying one any time soon.

Maybe 2011 if they're still running the 6.4. Ford needs an engine with better longevity in production than the 6.0 has seen.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:02 PM

I just wish someone would ask them during one of these press releases if it is the cleanest and quietest diesel because it will be broke down on the side of the road or will actually run cleaner.

Massey 65
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it strange that they don't mention hp/torque numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

They say "for competetive reasons" but what they really mean is that they want the other guys to name their first, so Ford can publish numbers a tiny bit higher! They did that with the 6.0L release.

Duncan

The 1997 F250HD Crewcab:

The 2000 XLT Excursion <font color="red">(SOLD)</font>:

The 2003 F250 Crewcab 6.0L:

The 6.0L Bible:

The 6.4L Bible:
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I wonder if the same mentality is involved with diesel
expansion and the hyd. hybrid system? We'll have to wait
and see. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

1997 F250 HD PSD 4x4 OR Auto 3.55LS CC SRW SWB 265x75x16 Michelin LTX DP 211K mi.; Ford AIC; Fuel milege; 20.3 mpg @ 70 mph. 12.5 mpg pulling my boat,12.5K, along two lane rural roads. A number of mods ordered from DaleI. Nice round replacement DP. FS2500 by-pass oil filter installed. Fumoto drain valve. Tymar Intake installed! HX mod from Tymar installed. TFI fillneck kits installed. Auto-Rx cleaner in engine & transmission done. Switched from Rotella dino to Rotella synthetic. Amsoil 5W-30 Series 3000 installed!
FS-2500 Bypass filter installed. CD Changer
Velvet rides installed. Joe Servo IDM mod was installed. Replaced with Swamps HV/HF IDM! Rear air lift springs. 4" exhaust installed all the back from DP and bye bye Kitty.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wish someone would ask them during one of these press releases if it is the cleanest and quietest diesel because it will be broke down on the side of the road or will actually run cleaner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based upon all the post on this site about how all of the 6.0L Fords are a POS and break down on a daily basis, I thought I would see hundreds if not thousands on the side of the HWY as I drove from Atlanta, GA to Livingston, MT last year. But you guys must have know I was on my way and hide them all, for I did not see one broke down in over a 4,000 mile trip. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] Are the authorities in the mid-west and rocky mountain states that good at getting junk off the side of the road or have some of you been telling little lies? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

RoyC

2005 Limited, 6.0L PSD, 4X2, Mineral Gray, 3.73 LS. Excursion Build date 02-08-05 6.0L 2005MY Engine Build date 01-03-05 Huntsville, Ala.

2005 50th anniversary Thunderbird Red with all
options except hardtop.

Old Ride: 2003 Excursion 6.0 L March 2003 Build 73,000 with no significant issues.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll enjoy seeing how well the new Fords do... not planning on buying one any time soon.

Maybe 2011 if they're still running the 6.4. Ford needs an engine with better longevity in production than the 6.0 has seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

2011 isn't that far away, especially considering you just bought an '06 Dodge Cummins. You planning on getting rid of your beast?

BTW, is it a dually? How do you like it?

2003 F-350 SRW XLT 7.3L 4R100 PSD 4x4 Supercab SB 3.73
1994 Dodge 3500 SLT Dually 5.9L Cummins NV4500 5spd US Gear "splitter" Exhaust brake 4x4
RETIRED: 1985 Chevy K20 6.2L Turbo-400 3spd auto 4x4 4.10
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 PM

My Photos: (25)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based upon all the post on this site about how all of the 6.0L Fords are a POS and break down on a daily basis, I thought I would see hundreds if not thousands on the side of the HWY as I drove from Atlanta, GA to Livingston, MT last year. But you guys must have know I was on my way and hide them all, for I did not see one broke down in over a 4,000 mile trip. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] Are the authorities in the mid-west and rocky mountain states that good at getting junk off the side of the road or have some of you been telling little lies? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

RoyC

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I just came back from a +7600 mile trip out west, most of it towing my Toy 4runner. I saw lots and lots of 6.0's on the road, but NOT ONE on the side of the road.

Al

'06 F-350 SRW 6.0 PSD
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM

i am just going by the numbers. For the most part all cars and trucks are reliable. They will usually get you down the road. My stroke only left me stranded once but that doesn't mean it ran great or didnt require lots of work and money to keep it limping along. The 6.0 had had lots of problems and I feel most of them are fords doing. I don't think International has had as many problems with their version.

Massey 65
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RoyC

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. I just came back from a +7600 mile trip out west, most of it towing my Toy 4runner. I saw lots and lots of 6.0's on the road, but NOT ONE on the side of the road.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Did over 3500 miles in Or, NV, CA and AZ this last month and saw a TON of PSD's on the road...to include the grapevine and the deserts of NV and AZ...not one broken down...?
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Sold 7/02/01 2000 F350 XLT CC, 4x4 3.73 LS, Off Road Camper. graphite int, 6 spd. Ox.White, J&J Grill & lighted boards, 10k FEY Drop bumper,(Centurion conversion) 12k Reese receiver. 285's. Duke's Springsteen. (DAC3)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:21 PM

what point are you guys trying to make just because you didnt see any on the side of the road they dont have trouble with them. I guess since you didnt see any yugos on the side of the road that means they are good too.

Massey 65
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:44 PM

My Photos: (38)

Shouldn't this be moved to the new 6.4 forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in