Hemi or Cummings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hemi or Cummings

Question for you guys... Which direction should i go??? Hemi or Cummings? I know this is a diesel forum but im just wanting to get the opinion of those that drive them!

I’m in the market for a Ram 2500 soon and am wondering what direction all of you think I should go!

My situation is I don’t drive very much at all, literally less than 10K a year (at the moment) as I work from home. What I am setting up is for me and the wife getting a little camper (less than 30ft tandem axle, not 5th wheel) and go and play! I know I could easily pull our camper with the Hemi, however I’m planning on buying and keeping! I’m not looking for resale value, I’m looking for longevity. Also, the exhaust brake would be a nice addition when in the mountains. My biggest concern right now is the little amounts I drive and
the stories I hear regarding the emissions on the diesel, especially the regen period. So? The cost difference during purchase is simply the increase for the diesel everything else will be the same regardless.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:40 AM

The cost to maintain the C would be far more then the H. But Fiat is dead to me. If all there was is Fiat, i would ride a horse.

Bullhead 4 wheelers, Az.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
What is a Cummings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM

This is a Ford forum. You would be better to find a Ram forum to ask your question. People on this forum will advise you to consider the Ford instead of Ram.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Depends on how much and how far you're going to tow. Hemi is definitely cheaper, but sucks the gas and has 16 sparkplugs to maintain. If you buy a Diesel it will outlive the truck and other components by a long time. Gas mileage and power is definitely better when towing.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
[email protected] filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150 (Sold)

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie STOCK
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Diesels also cost more in the initial investment and in the long run which cancels out any fuel mileage savings. Repairs to a diesel also cost more than a gas engine.

By the way it is a Cummins and not a Cummings.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in