Service Ramps for HD Trucks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (9)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Service Ramps for HD Trucks

Anybody have recommendations for good truck service ramps for my F350? I'm not thinking Rhinos are really up to the task, and I'm not ready to spend $600 for aluminum semi truck ramps. Short of laminating 2x12's, what else to do?

I see Race Ramp HD's tested with a semi at 10,000# on their 5,000# set with no issue, but my 2013 F350 must be pushing 5k on the front axle?

Last edited by Smokewagun; 08-24-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not up on the weights of the new trucks but what I would do is to go to a scale and weigh just the front end, then you will have something to actually go by.

On my 96 I am using some ramps that my dad bought over 30 years ago so I have no idea of what their rating is but they handle my truck just fine and show no evidence of being stressed.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:38 PM
RT

My Photos: (0)
Lucky you. I rolled up on my 30 year old ramps and crushed them flat...

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:16 PM

I've wondered every time that I use them but when I check them out they look just fine. I have no idea of where he picked them up at but he used them to work on his Dodge station wagon. If I were a betting man I would say that he got them at Sears, he bought everything at Sears when it was a decent hardware store.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:17 PM

A little off-topic but do any of you guys use one of those platforms that hooks over your front wheel and allows you to stand taller over the engine compartment?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM
RT

Nick has this one -

He gave me the link the last injector cup job I did. I sure wish I'd had it - I am SO sick of stepstools sliding out from under me when I have to reach for something.

I can't find the picture, but Nick also had this really cool platform he built. Looks like a deck about 2 feet off the ground. Its shaped such that you drive your truck into it and then you can walk around on the deck and get to all sides of the hood. Another great idea for anyone whose POA won't kick them out for building it...

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:34 PM

I keep debating on buying a topside creeper from Northern Tools. If you watch the sales that they have it will be as low as $189. A member on here or another forum made one out of 2x4's and foam rubber. If you have the equipment to do it you also could use some square metal tubing and be into it less than $100 I believe.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
I think I saw one of those topside creepers in my chiropractors office ;-)

For now I am using 5-gallon buckets on the ground and those quilted moving blankets when I have climbed up top.

Thanks
I used to climb right into the engine compartment with my feet one the fenders while I sat on the radiator. There was nothing that I couldn't do while in there like that on the top of the motor. Now days there is way too much stuff stuck all over the compartment to even think of doing it that way.

I'll see if I can finds the pictures of the creeper that the guy made out of wood.

Here is a link to the thread on the guy that made one out of wood and it has a material list if you want to build one.

Last edited by bugman; 08-26-2015 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added link
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
I'll see if I can finds the pictures of the creeper that the guy made out of wood.

Here is a link to the thread on the guy that made one out of wood and it has a material list if you want to build one.
Thanks Bugman

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (9)
Should I have posted on topside creepers to get responses on ramps?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewagun View Post
I'm with you on that one, Smokewagon. I was hoping for some input too. I haven't done a search yet, but I wouldn't mind picking up a set for my F-250. I've got a set for my later model 1/2 ton but I didn't research if the same company makes stronger ones for a diesel pickup. Mine appear to be made out of the poly whatever, similar to the plastic (wrong name, I know) that they're making some of the auto pistol frames out of nowadays.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewagun View Post
It isn't that hard to find service ramps that would work for your truck. You can get them as large or heavy duty as you would like. Here is a one set that I doubt that would collapse under your truck.

that may be closer to your price range.

You can get them in all sizes and inbetween.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:04 PM
RT

Holy you know what. Did you look through the reviews on that Amazon set? The guy that posted pictures of what his Tundra did to the ramps. Ain't no way I'm sliding under a truck that weighs what mine does sitting on plastic ramps. I like that first set, but I'm not paying that for a set of ramps. I'll stick to my 15 ton jack stands....

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Holy you know what. Did you look through the reviews on that Amazon set? The guy that posted pictures of what his Tundra did to the ramps. Ain't no way I'm sliding under a truck that weighs what mine does sitting on plastic ramps. I like that first set, but I'm not paying that for a set of ramps. I'll stick to my 15 ton jack stands....
I like the post in his review of them. It looks like he drove over the top of them and then partially off of them.

One thing that anyone should know that anything can and will fail if you don't use it properly or abuse it in some way. If all else fails use a jack and jack stands but then people give out bad reviews on jack stands also.

By the way I just threw up two sets on a quick search that I did since the OP wasn't getting any suggestions on service ramps.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 05:02 PM
RT

I know and it was appreciated. I lost an uncle to a failed jack / stand. I've got a healthy fear of sliding under something that heavy. I looked at the 16k rated ramps by the same manufacturer and the reviews there showed pictures of crushed stands too. I'm not convinced anything plastic is going to hold up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in