Wow- is diesel really 1$ more per gallon along I-95? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
General Diesel Discussion about diesels in general. All brands are welcome, please refrain from brand wars. Discussions about types of diesel fuel also go here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:42 AM

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWarkentin View Post
Hopefully, Ford engineers have figured out how to get good fuel efficiency in a gas engine at full GCWR. If they have succeeded to do that with the 7.3L gas engine, then it may become a popular choice.
Who knows? A friend had one of those big block V10 F250's that was not too old and he said the mileage was terrible. But according to Car & Driver all the 1/2 ton small blocks, Dodge, Chevy, Ford, and Tundra nowadays get about 20 hwy mileage not towing. Years ago you were lucky to get 14 with any 1/2 ton pickup. And like Bugman said, 8 or 9 with a 460 Ford or 454 Chevy.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWarkentin View Post
Hopefully, Ford engineers have figured out how to get good fuel efficiency in a gas engine at full GCWR. If they have succeeded to do that with the 7.3L gas engine, then it may become a popular choice.
It's probably a bit better on fuel mileage than the old Ford big block, but comparing a gas engine to a diesel is a losing proposition in terms of torque and pulling power. It's the nature of the diesel cycle that makes it produce higher torque.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:04 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From what I have seen living on I-70 here in Colorado is that most of the diesel owners really don't need a diesel. They use them for grocery runs and making noise. I love it when I see a F350 dual wheel drive diesel truck going down the freeway with a sleeper shell on the back and no receiver hitch on the back.

Unfortunately I am falling into the category of not needing a diesel. But it sure is nice once or twice a year when I do load it up a little and go on a long drive. But a gas truck would do just as well for what I haul, that is except for mileage.
LMJD likes this.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:51 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
From what I have seen living on I-70 here in Colorado is that most of the diesel owners really don't need a diesel. They use them for grocery runs and making noise.
And lots of smoke. Every punk kid in my area has a beat to death Dodge diesel straight piped and stacks, yeah, ya gott'a have stacks. Don't get me going.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:14 PM

My Photos: (0)
The 7.3L gas engine will not have the torque of the 6.7L diesel. Depending upon your application, $9000 savings in initial purchase price, plus less expensive fuel price per gallon, plus less expensive maintenance costs might make sense for some people who don't plan to tow heavy anyway and are not putting on too many miles.

The 7.3L gas engine will be available in the F250, F350, F450, F550, F650, and F750.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > General Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in