'2019 Nav Weirding Out - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jaso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'2019 Nav Weirding Out

Hi all.* We took a decent trip today, and put the Nav in my '19 to the test.* On the way home, the Nav would throw up an "alternate" route (try to re-route some strange way), then the estimated arrival time would adjust accordingly.* Like add 2 or 3 hours to the trip.* It would go back to the original route, but the estimated time would take a while to reset.* Sometimes reducing the time by a few minutes in a couple of seconds.* We have another trip coming up soon (Houston to central Florida), and I'm a bit worried about the false re-routing.* I won't be able to get it the the dealer before then.* Is there a reset or something I could try if it does it again?* I hope this makes sense, it's a little hard to describe.

Ed...KF5INW
2011 6.7L PSD XLT - Dead and gone
2019 6.7L PSD XLT - Still too new!
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:34 AM

My Photos: (3)
Was this Sync or were you using your phone? I don't know that I have used SYNC to nav yet. I love using my google maps from my android device!

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Sync. I am really not wanting to use an external device for something that should be seemingly so simple to do. Navigation has been around now for what, 15 years? You would think the auto manufacturers should have been able to get it right by now!

Ed...KF5INW
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 PM

My Photos: (3)
I am totally in agreement with you. Other than I have found using Andriod Auto to be so much more intuitive to run. It hasn't been problem free tho.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjunior View Post
Sync. I am really not wanting to use an external device for something that should be seemingly so simple to do. Navigation has been around now for what, 15 years? You would think the auto manufacturers should have been able to get it right by now!

With all due respect and sympathy to your situation I'd like to propose an alternate view. Navigation is not simple and not something that gets figured out and then stays static. Just think of software like Google Maps and Waze compared to the Garmins and Tom Toms of even five years ago. Remember not having any information about construction or traffic? Remember having to wait months for updates when roads were altered or new ones built? Even the hardware capabilities have grown by leaps and bounds. GPS today can tell you what lane you are in, how fast you are going (more accurately than your speedometer) - would you really want to have your application capabilities age as your car does (or have to do a full head unit swap to get new features)? 20-year-old truck - sweet! 20-year-old electronic gadget - gag.

Car manufacturers simply do not operate in a mindset that can keep pace with consumer electronics (and software). Not only do they have fewer chances to get it right (compare how often you get a new vehicle to how often you upgrade some piece of software or buy a new gadget) but they also have fewer resources based on what drives people to purchase a vehicle. When's the last time you heard a couple guys standing around going "man, I can't wait for the latest Sync to come out before I buy my new truck!"?

Companies like Google (who, if you didn't know, owns Waze now as well) have a lot less to lose and a lot more resources. When they screw up they literally release a software patch (sometimes within hours) that automatically gets applied before the rage sets in. Plus, they have access to all the "crowd sourcing" data. When you run Google Maps or Waze for "free" what you are giving up is access to your private information in exchange for their services. They are literally drawing updated maps based on their users' driving habits.

Anyway, my personal preference is that my in-dash system is basically a nice big touch screen for my phone to display whatever app I prefer to use on it. That allows Ford to focus on what I think they are good at - engineering vehicles - and for me to have the freedom to use 3rd-party software I'm comfortable with. That being said, Ford screws even that basic thing up plenty (see any of my other posts on here about Sync 3 issues) and still doesn't give me a way to report software bugs to them like you can with any other modern software company. Not to mention that the use of Apple Car Play and Android Auto opens up the door for everyone to point the finger at someone else when stuff doesn't go right.

Computers make everything happen faster - especially disappointment and rage...
Phillippeterson and stumpman like this.

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green

Last edited by jaso; 11-24-2018 at 03:38 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:46 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

@jaso,

That is the most comprehensive and logical thread I have seen written on the topic anywhere and your conclusions are spot on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjunior View Post
Hi all.* We took a decent trip today, and put the Nav in my '19 to the test.* On the way home, the Nav would throw up an "alternate" route (try to re-route some strange way), then the estimated arrival time would adjust accordingly.* Like add 2 or 3 hours to the trip.* It would go back to the original route, but the estimated time would take a while to reset.* Sometimes reducing the time by a few minutes in a couple of seconds.* We have another trip coming up soon (Houston to central Florida), and I'm a bit worried about the false re-routing.* I won't be able to get it the the dealer before then.* Is there a reset or something I could try if it does it again?* I hope this makes sense, it's a little hard to describe.
Ed Jr,
The only trustworthy fix for what you dscribe is to have your navigator use a back-up navigation system like Google Maps or even an old-fashioned paper map or atlas.

I have had my navigation devices make those changes (updates) while driving and it is so frustrating. Especially when towing a trailer.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

I just got back from a trip to Florida (from Houston), and didn't have any problems with the nav. I can probably chalk up the weird directions to choosing the shortest vs. fastest, though I don't remember choosing that. Could have been a fat finger on a bumpy road. And the time weirding out did not happen on this trip either. That one is still a head scratcher. Anyway, the nav actually did pretty good. It got to some places that required "detailed" routing, and did it pretty well. My brother had a different turn on a couple of routes, but he's been there since 1979 and knows the roads really well. Hopefully whatever happened on that first trip was just a hiccup.

Ed...KF5INW
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:29 PM

Yeah thats when we really learn the limitations of our Nav system...when we use it in familiar territory. The good thing is if its not showing you those “locals only” shortcuts then its not showing that data to anyone and those shortcuts don’t get overcrowded...Lol

SOLD:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:39 PM

Not to hijack the thread but had a different problem this past week - Nav just didn't update at all. Driving along and it just showed that I was still in the location where I last started the truck. Go about 80 miles down the road, stopped for a restroom break and when I restarted the truck, it reset to the current location and worked fine for the rest of the trip. I'm thinking it was updating but I do not have it set to pull updates via WIFI so I'm also at a loss on what happened. Local dealer is / was no help - "it isn't doing it now so unable to duplicate the problem". Back t OPs item

2017 F450 DRW 4X4 Platinum - Pearl While - what can I say, just can't stop trading up.
2015 F450 DRW 4X4 King Ranch - way more than I need but couldn't pass up the deal
2012 F350 DRW 4X4
2011 F350 DRW 4X2 (discovered I really used the 4-wheel drive more than I remembered.)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
Nav just didn't update at all. Driving along and it just showed that I was still in the location where I last started the truck.

I used to have this problem when I didn't have a route planned (just letting the map follow me around). Since the upgrade to version 3.x this seems to be better, though I have to admit that I've been using the Waze app with my phone practically all the time now that that is supported.

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in