Adding a Winch - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding a Winch

So one thing that I'd like to add to my new truck is a winch.
I'm not a big fan of huge bumpers that dramatically change the look of the truck. Rather, I'd like to find something that fits nicely and looks like it belongs.

I found the following on a Toyota forum. While I'm not a fan of Tundra trucks, I will say that this is a very nice option for a winch and I wish they made something similar for the Super Duty.
It looks clean and minimalistic. It doesn't appear to require dramatic modifications to the stock truck.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

1966 F100, Gas
1975 F250, Gas, 4X4
1998 F250, Ext Cab, Gas 4X4
1999 F350, Crew Cab, Diesel, 4X4 XLT
2005 F350, Crew Cab, Diesel, 4X4 Lariat
2009 F350, Crew Cab, Diesel, 4X4 Lariat
2012 F350, Crew Cab, Diesel, 4X4 Lariat
2016 F350, Crew Cab, Diesel, 4X4 Platinum
2017 F350, Crew Cab, Diesel, 4X4 Platinum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For a SD truck you really need a 12,000 lb winch which is fairly large. Trying to find a bumper that will hide it is going to be a challenge.

Start with the winch manufacturer's websites and after that start looking at the custom bumper manufacturer's.

I don't think that you are going to have much luck finding one.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:38 AM

My Photos: (6)
There was a guy selling (past tense) custom bumpers that were pretty tight fitting and held a serious winch. The bumper was like $3-5k ......don't expect quality to be cheap.

I'd suggest getting smart about the line as well. Go synthetic to save some weight up front.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 PM

My Photos: (3)
Yeah, the trouble with diesel trucks is the intercooler, which takes up some significant real estate up there. So anything you add will have to clear that!

Here was my short list of bumpers when I was looking. Mercenary appears not to offer one for the current superduty, but you might reach out to them as this is the tightest bumper of the lot...that I know of. Fab Fours might be your next best bet. ARB might be worth a look.

Mercenary offroad
iron Cross bumper
www.magnumtruckgear.com
Fabfours
www.Rogueracing.com

Let us know if you come across others. I think it'd be neat to have a thread that has all the known options out there!

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:05 PM

Do you mean the air-to-coolant inter-cooler that is tucked behind the driver's side headlight?? That inter-cooler???

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:07 PM

Any radiator type device really... The picture the OP posted was a gas yota where there is no need to consider anything a diesel has.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I found the following on a Toyota forum. While I'm not a fan of Tundra trucks, I will say that this is a very nice option for a winch and I wish they made something similar for the Super Duty.
Yea.....the OP posted the above.

Quote:
Yeah, the trouble with diesel trucks is the intercooler, which takes up some significant real estate up there. So anything you add will have to clear that!
You made this "suggestion" which is not accurate to the OP's vehicle. He has his 2017 F350 (and others) posted in his sig line. Not to mention this forum section is for the 2017+ trucks. Not sure if you know what your own 2017 has or how the "new" 6.7L utilizes the inter-cooler.

Most full replacement bumpers, even those with a winch, have little effect on the monitored temps of the truck.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Heavy - we're not on the same page. What I mean is a winch bumper for ANY vehicle that has an intercooler has to consider clearances for it and the winch, making it difficult at best to have a "stealth" style bumper he's looking for.

I am not real familiar with the 6.7 and it's many heat exchanging devices behind the grill, but I do know we as diesel owners have an extra one.

I just went out to the garage to take a peek at mine. There is a significant amount of stuff that would be detrimental to your approach angle if you were putting a 12k winch in there.

Clear as mud?

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM

I think your the one with mud in your eye.

I already fully understand what is behind the grill. The 6.7L inter-cooler is not in the grill area.

Approach angles?? (I know what they are and the topic) That's easily fixed with a suspension lift. Sure on a stock truck you are going to have issues, but that's related to the bumper design. Unless you have a specific brand, style, etc etc etc it's often not that big a concern. The problem is the companies work more towards moving the winch in front of the bumper supports versus tucking it inside the bumper mounts.

This is about the single best "stealth" style you are going to be able to buy: https://www.unlimitedengineering.com...-bumper-winch/

Other options (aside from the huge lift):

Not a huge lift, pretty decent look...just not "stealth":

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:56 AM

Whoa - not trying to get hostile here. So I'm just leaving "our" conversation at that.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Just ran across this site. It started out acting wierd, but it settled out. Anyway, lots of options narrowed down my truck:
bumpersuperstore.com

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in