Any 6.2L Owners Care to Share Experiences? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (9)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any 6.2L Owners Care to Share Experiences?

I've been reading all the hype on the upcoming 2018 F-150 diesel. Although I am a diesel guy through and through for about 20 years, I jumped ship in June last year to an EcoBoost F-150. We sold out 10,000# travel trailer, and as a daily driver, the F-350 was quite overkill and costly.
I just can't get excited about the diesels anymore, knowing how the new emissions choke these trucks and seem to be a source of headaches for some. I've logged close to 3 million miles, and mostly in Powerstroke diesels from the beloved 7.3L through the 6.7L, and have no horror stories to report. But, the $7500 engine premium, regardless of resale, seems crazy for a daily driver and a weekend warrior.
My issue is payload. The F150 is great and meets 99% of my current needs, but the minute I approach 8,000# in a travel trailer with a family of four, it's useless. The payload is gone. I don't care about HD Payload Packaged trucks. For the miles I put on, I like the goodies and options, not a stripped Lariat.
So, I am wondering what owners of the new 2017 Superduty with the 6.2L gasser have to say about mileage and drivability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the 6.2L is so trouble-free, no one comes to the site to complain, browse, or brag.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
6.2 will cover the bill. Won't tote as much nor as quickly but Pal, you will be under it fuelwise but not by a whole lot. In the unlikely hood you blow a motor, you can drop in a new crate motor for the cost of a fuel system repair that got a slug of water.
It will pull too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	103673  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Maryland. I'm hopeful a new mill comes to the SD soon. I know the diesel nets about 90% return at trade or when selling used, but MAN it's just a lot of money. I think I could do a supercharger for much less if I need horsepower, but that's not me, either. I know as a daily driver, the 6.2L would be totally fine, but I'm hopeful some can post some real positive experiences to solidify my thinking. It must be a good mill, regardless. I see a lot of them at the RV parks towing fivers. The people I talk to have been happy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 AM

My Photos: (1)
Oh no prob, but hey (no pun intended ) be aware it will guzzle unless you get it on flat ground and up on plane. I guess it all comes down to reduced risks vs more cash laid down for the diesel option plus a serious warrranty( giggle at those with a gasser, generally) plus an insurance policy covering water injection. VS. money dumped at pump.Hmmmm 6.2 you say
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 PM

My Photos: (0)
I picked up a new 17 250 on the 23rd of Dec and have about 1500 miles on it now. I am planning on doing a write-up this weekend on my experience so far. I will say I have had both gas and diesel Super Duties and this is the best gas engine SD to date. The torqueshift G transmission appears to be a perfect match. Although is is lighter duty from the standard torqueshift I have not seen a difference in tow ratings from the 250 to the 350 that is transmission related. The shaggin wagin weights in at about 8500 pounds so I will provide more information on towing in the spring. My daily commute is about 80 miles round trip each day and I am keeping hand calculated numbers in a log. I will say there has been some up and down but the trend is up. Current tank shows 15.7 on the computer but but actual calculations will be about a half a mpg lower. My commute is not highway.
More to follow as there never seems to be alot of good day to day information on the gas Super Duties.

John

2017, F-250, 6.2, 4X4, FX4, CC, Lariat
Previous Super Duty's
2015, F-350, SRW, 6.2, 4X4, FX4, CC, King Ranch

2012, F-350, SRW, 6.7, 4X4, FX4, SC, Lariat
2008, F-350, SRW, 6.4, 4X4, CC, King Ranch
2008, F-250, 5.4, 4X4, SC, Lariat
2003, F-350, SRW, 7.3, 4X4, FX4, CC, Lariat
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, John. Looking forward to your update. I'd dump my 2016 F150 tonite if I knew I'd pull 16-15mpg for my standard commute. After seeing how bad of a hit my F150 is taking on resale, I have bought my last gas F150. I've never seen a $64k sticker truck drop to $32k in trade value in 6 months. It's a good wake up call though. My next truck, I will go back to my 16 years prior and buy a diesel and drive it for a bit to confirm good operation, then delete and drive it until the wheels fall off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in