BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau and BAKBox 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau and BAKBox 2

Hello everyone,

Has anyone installed a BAKFlip MX4 bed cover on a 2017+ Super Duty with an 8' bed? They seem to get great reviews but I'd like to get feedback from someone who has one on a truck similar to mine. I'm also interested in the BAKBox 2 toolbox that integrates with them.

Thanks,

j

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM

My Photos: (3)
BigDaveZJ owns the box, but I don't know if he's installed it yet. Check this thread:
https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...onneau-641785/

BAK seems to make quality stuff. As you can see from the thread, I own one of their covers.

May I ask why you want the flip?

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi JM,

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'm looking at the flip because it is a hard top, doesn't take up much cargo area (compared to the garage door style), and is easily removed. I regularly haul bulk loose materials (dirt, rock, mulch) and like the idea of being able to remove and reinstall the cover easily instead of having it buried.

You have piqued my interest in the Revolver, though. Originally I dismissed it because of the zipper-style connections on the rails - they didn't see very reliable or durable to me. I take it from your choice you don't share this. Do you have any issues with them? Can you remove the top (without removing the rails) like you can the flips?

I do like the idea of not having the back window obstructed when it is fully opened, though... What can you tell me to convince me? :-D

Thanks,

j

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 PM

The "zipper style" catches seems to be just fine so far. The mechanism on the cover itself is plastic, but the locking part on the rails is alum. Although I don't roll it up too much, it's been a great cover. If you need specific pictures, let me know.

I didn't want the flip because you are either blocking your window, or it's taking up around 2ft of bed space. So I chose the revolver because it is still a "hard" cover, that takes up less window and bed space when rolled up. It doesn't come off as easily as the flip tho, so it may not be what you are after. Watch this video to see how it installs:

I suppose you could swap out the four nylock nuts for lock washers and wing nuts??

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, you've convinced me. :-D I literally had the MX4 in my cart about to click "buy" until this discussion. Being able to see out of the back window turned out to be more important than I had originally thought. Plus the ease of rolling it up vs. having to fold those panels when the new Super Duties are so tall...

So now I have a Revolver X4 and BAKBox 2 on the way!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 07:55 AM

I will feel absolutely horrible is it's not what you want, so I am hoping you like yours as well as I like mine. I have owned a cover on my trucks for 14 of the past 18 years and this is by far my favorite. And aside from a topper, the most expensive as well. But I know some features (velcro and snaps) to avoid and what holds up and what doesn't. BAK seems to have designed from scratch and not followed what most of the other manf. do.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I definitely would not try and hold you responsible for my decision. My ordered arrived yesterday but, of course, it has been raining ever since so not sure when I'm going to get a chance to install stuff. I'm excited!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

I got my Revolver X4 and BAKBox 2 installed today!

The cover did not disappoint. It was super easy to install, looks great, and feels pretty solid. Time will be the ultimate test, of course, but thus far I'm happy with it.

The BAKBox... ehh... I'm not sold on it. The installation is simple enough but its design wastes a lot more bed space than it should and it isn't nearly as stable as it could be with a couple super simple additions. The "box" is a hinged three-panel gizmo that sits in a couple of U brackets. The panels slide into the hinges and weren't lined up from the factory. The way it hangs from the rails of the Revolver is clever, but they cheaped out on brackets to hold stuff in place. There's a lot of sway in the box and I'm guessing that it is going to work its way free after enough driving and fall off. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

The cover is what I was most looking forward to and thus far is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-2018-08-18-17-15-10_0369.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	125205  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 07:39 AM

Whew! I feel better! I've had mine for 18 months or so and not a single issue with it.

I know I sent an email to BAK sometime ago mentioning the position of the clips that hold the cover rolled up. I think they need to rotated to about a 45* angle. Anyway, I never got a response and I never called them. I would hope that a phone call might yield better support, but perhaps we may never need it.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:49 PM

I'm in the same boat, I like the cover but the BakBox is kind of a joke. It hold my straps and such for the trailer and keeps them from sliding around the bed, but it doesn't appear to be super strong and it's not deep enough to hold any spare fluids or a DEF jug. The clamps on the straps that holds the cover when it's rolled up are a little weak too, but that's not the end of the world. I've only driven a little bit with the cover rolled up since I got it, but I like how you can't really see it out the back window.

18 F350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in