2Likes
  • 1 Post By roadPilot
  • 1 Post By Jesus_man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couple questions on the '17 / '18 F350's

I'm about 6 weeks out from ordering my truck and have a couple questions. I'll be getting an F350, 4x4, 6.7, CC, SB, Lariat Ultimate.

On the tow tech package, it includes the lane departure warning. I've heard this can be quite annoying when you don't actually want it to be on. Is this something that's easily turned off through the vehicle menus?

And for a gooseneck setup, am I better off getting the factory Ford setup or going aftermarket? I currently have a B&W turnover in my '01 and want the same functionality. But if it's simpler to just get the Ford factory setup I'll do that. I definitely want the 7-way plug in the bed, but it looks like I can get that through the camper package OR the 5th/goose prep package. If I go aftermarket on the hitch itself, I'm assuming I can skip the prep package?

Also will be looking to install a CB pretty quickly after getting the truck, and eventually a HAM. For the CB, I'll probably do the Cobra 75 and hide everything in the center console. Haven't been able to find many pics of CB or HAM installs in the newer trucks though and want it to be as clean as possible since this will be a DD as well.

Thanks!

(Hi J.D.!)

EDIT TO ADD: Another thing I just thought of, do these trucks still use glow plugs? How does that work with the push button start?

18 F350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7

Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 10-28-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Not too sure about use of a B&W ball would work on the factory setup--B&W told me they don't have a Companion-style hitch to fit the round hole of the Ford factory hitch. The Ford factory gooseneck mounting hole is round; the B&W is square. I don't tow goosenecks, I would assume there is a round-base ball that fits the Ford opening to connect to a gooseneck trailer.
I would always opt for the factory trailer wiring over having it done after-market. Don't know how to order the wiring without the hitch prep....I also think the factory hitch is a cleaner installation than an aftermarket. I have the B&W 20k puck hitch on my truck and works very well for fifth-wheel towing.
Look up the YouTube vids on 2017 dashboard operations--I believe you can turn off the lane departure warning. I have to agree it is a little annoying on my truck, but now I find that I wander way more than I ever thought I did. If changing lanes using the turn signal, it doesn't activate the warning...

2017 F450 KR
2010 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, but reborn, traded
2009 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, scrapped
2007 F350 KR DRW CC 4x4-Gone to pasture
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSA--hoping for another 10 years
2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3--traded, 10 years of camping memories
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

The 5th wheel aspect of the hitch isn't what I need, just the turnover part, so the factory setup does that already?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
On the tow tech package, it includes the lane departure warning. I've heard this can be quite annoying when you don't actually want it to be on. Is this something that's easily turned off through the vehicle menus?
On my Platinum, there's a button on the dash above the nav screen to enable/disable the lane assist.

Couple questions on the '17 / '18 F350's-la.jpg

Quote:
Another thing I just thought of, do these trucks still use glow plugs? How does that work with the push button start?
Yes, they do. The vehicle will delay the start (if needed) with push button start. But these are far quicker than in previous motors.

EDIT: This morning was the very first morning since I got my PSD that there was a very short delay between pressing the button and the starter engaging. Was not more than 2 seconds.

Last edited by roadPilot; 10-30-2017 at 07:52 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 03:41 PM

BigDave,
I had not looked at the factory hitch setup options, but I think there is the gooseneck setup and the fifth wheel setup--my KR has both. I seem to recall seeing it worded differently on some window stickers that makes me think you can get the gooseneck only or both.

2017 F450 KR
2010 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, but reborn, traded
2009 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, scrapped
2007 F350 KR DRW CC 4x4-Gone to pasture
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSA--hoping for another 10 years
2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3--traded, 10 years of camping memories
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
BigDave,
I had not looked at the factory hitch setup options, but I think there is the gooseneck setup and the fifth wheel setup--my KR has both. I seem to recall seeing it worded differently on some window stickers that makes me think you can get the gooseneck only or both.
The 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package is a single, combined package.

What you can get separate is the actual Hitch Kit for either the 5th wheel or the gooseneck.
HeavyAssault likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 01:43 PM

I went with the B&W gooseneck for mine.It was $499 and $70 for the in bed wiring.The wiring was not hard at all to install but the hitch was a pretty sh*tty install because of the crossbars being several pieces instead of one continuous piece and the limited work area under there.I had the B&W on my 13í Duramax as well and hauled up to 28k daily and had no problems with it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

The factory setup sounds like it would get the job done for me, no plans to ever get a 5'er.

On the power running boards, how do those hold up in snow? I know I get a lot of snow built up on the running boards on my 01, and would imagine that would be hell on the power ones trying to open and close.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:21 AM

My Photos: (3)
Hey Dave! Clearly I am not on here as often as I should be...

Anywho sounds like your questions have been answered. I can only add that once you turn off the Lane departure warning, it stays off until you turn it back on. Not like it comes back on each time you start the truck.

I wish the Tow/haul mode worked similarly when you are hooked up to a trailer...but you have to turn that on each and every time you start the truck if you want it on. Same with the exhaust brake. We get 5 blinks when you just flick the blinker stock when hooked to a trailer (3 without)...why can't tow/haul and exhaust brake setting remain??

I have the power running boards, but have yet to use them in the snow. So perhaps in the coming weeks, someone else might be able to help you. Perhaps you can get the splash guards to help keep the snow off them (Ford option). They can be programmed to stay deployed (and perhaps not deploy??), so worst case, you could keep them deployed until you can clean them off. I suspect that since power running boards have been around for quite a while, someone surely has experience with them in winter conditions...

I did find this:
Quote:
To answer the questions about what happens when they get packed with snow, they're pretty smart. When we had the big blizzard in 09, I got them frozen shut a couple times, and a few times I was parked so that the snow prevented them from extending all the way. In either case, the motors detect that there is some sort of obstruction, and reverse the motion to the previous position. So if they were frozen in the up position, the motors wouldn't burn out trying to extend them.
But I understand your wife is um, somewhat vertically challenged?? If they fail to deploy for her, it could cause some issues.
jetboatrich likes this.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Haha, somewhat vertically challenged! Yeah if the steps don't deploy for her she won't be happy. She's got her JKU though so she probably won't spend too much time in the truck.

Really looking forward to getting this thing. I wish my Infiniti didn't have so much time left on its lease.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Ordered my '18 yesterday!

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Awesome! How many weeks? I guess we will have to wait for it's arrival to hear the details? That is only permissible if you include pics!

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

8-10 weeks . . . .

Lariat, CC, SB, Ultimate Pkg, moonroof "delete" if you will, Magnetic, Tow Tech, BLIS, Gooseneck hitch, FX4.

Spent some more time behind the wheel of one yesterday too. The first test drive I did a few months ago was really quick. Spent a lot more time with the truck this time. Really surprised how well it rides on the highway. This thing will be a road trip machine.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 06:49 PM

That's a nice rig!! What with the ole girl??

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in