3Likes
  • 2 Post By ford_doctor
  • 1 Post By Tall Timbers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Door Latch Freeze (18N03)

Has anyone had the door latch freeze "recall" work done (18N03)? I have not had any issues with my doors and I'm debating whether to have the work done or not. What did they do? What are the side-affects? Your shared experiences are appreciated.

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
The recall has us install some seals and covers inside the doors to prevent water entering from the belt molding and door handle which can migrate and freeze in the cable and the latch on any of the doors and freeze. If you live in a cold climate it would be wise to have this procedure performed. As for "side effects" the recall itself has no affect on the proper operation of the doors... problems related to workmanship however can conceivably arise and that is beyond the control of everyone but the technician performing the procedure. With that said I think enough of these have been performed that the techs are more adept with it. (it's a little tricky working inside of the doors)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I'm scheduling with my dealer this week.

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 PM

I just received the notice in the mail labeled as a "Customer Service Satisfaction".

Will FORD do the work if I have not had an issue yet?

I am currently in California and don't expect freezing, but I am looking at moving to Tennessee where I could see this as an issue. Would it be better to wait until I actually get to Tennessee where more of them would have been installed?

2017 F350 4x4 6.7L Crew Cab Longbed
Pulling a ~32' 5th wheel toyhauler
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spg01 View Post
I just received the notice in the mail labeled as a "Customer Service Satisfaction".

Will FORD do the work if I have not had an issue yet?

I am currently in California and don't expect freezing, but I am looking at moving to Tennessee where I could see this as an issue. Would it be better to wait until I actually get to Tennessee where more of them would have been installed?

The wording of the documents states "In the affected vehicles, water entering the doors in cold temperatures can cause door latching components to freeze. Ford is offering this no charge service to customers that have experienced a frozen door latch to install additional sealing to the front doors and crew cab rear doors, which will prevent water intrusion and door latch freezing." So technically the answer to your question is no however I believe that if you take your truck to your favorite Ford dealer and asked them to perform the repair they should. And yes, you could wait until you get to Tennessee because the program will expire October 31, 2028 which gives you almost 10 years from the time of this post to have it done. If I owned one of these trucks I would not wait until I experience a door latch malfunction because that would make me extremely dis-satisfied, that's just me.
Spg01 and dje5717 like this.

Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 12-13-2018 at 06:05 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso View Post
Has anyone had the door latch freeze "recall" work done (18N03)? I have not had any issues with my doors and I'm debating whether to have the work done or not. What did they do? What are the side-affects? Your shared experiences are appreciated.

I received the recall, my truck is in the garage every night, I have not seen the issues, but will have it done on the next service ... better be safe, as temps are cold outside

2017 F-250, Platinum
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatrich View Post
I received the recall, my truck is in the garage every night, I have not seen the issues, but will have it done on the next service ... better be safe, as temps are cold outside
Same here. But what chaps my hide is that my truck was in for service on Friday and I get the letter Monday. Why wasn't this checked prior to my service so it could have been performed while they had my truck?

Good news is that I will likely take my truck to my "more local" dealer to have this done so that I can get a feel for how well their service dept. works. It's too bad that whatever service program I have does not transfer to other dealers.

Since mine is garaged 99% of the time, I think I'll wait until warmer weather is here so that the plastic clips etc are a little less prone to breaking.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 PM

Well mine froze last night lol.... opened the door and when I shut it it would not latch, guess I need to have this recall done...... luckily I was able to unstick the latch as it was not that frozen..... man I hate to have the door panel removed.....

2010 Crew Cab F-250 4X4
6.4 PSD

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

If it's any consolation I had mine done and can't even tell anything is different (in a good way).

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Yeah just made my appt for the 14th. Service writer said it's a 94 step procedure...... keeping fingers crossed as it seems I'm always the one something stupid happens to.....

2010 Crew Cab F-250 4X4
6.4 PSD

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8 View Post
Yeah just made my appt for the 14th. Service writer said it's a 94 step procedure...... keeping fingers crossed as it seems I'm always the one something stupid happens to.....
I have that "bug" too, so I'd like to hear of your experience.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:04 AM

"94 step process"
someone has been wearing a FitBit.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:

Oh more mis-information.

If your Super Duty is a Regular Cab or Super Cab, it's a 40 step procedure.

If your Super Duty is a Crew Cab (4 doors) it's a 79 step procedure.

It's not as bad as the "step count" makes it seem. It's a lot of clean this, measure that then trim it, cut these and seal here, stuff some foam there, apply some grease here, there and all over this too kinda stuff.

Diesel Mentor Directory

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:14 PM

Ok. That makes me feel better. Mines a crew...

2010 Crew Cab F-250 4X4
6.4 PSD

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I'll be taking mine in eventually for this procedure... and I have to admit that getting something like this done from my only available dealer makes me a little nervous. That's based on many years experience with them...
Phillippeterson likes this.

Tall Timbers
2018 F250 Crew Cab 4X4 Platinum Gasser | 2017 Ford Escape Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in