DRW - 3.55 vs 4.10 - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:48 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_man View Post
I am pretty you two are on the same page, but what a high gear (numerically) to you is what he means by low gear. Ideally he would have specified higher meaning 3.55's. It's hard to know what someone means when they say "higher" gear.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm pretty sure that we both know what is meant by high gear vs low gear, but just in case, I'll spell it out. The 3.55 is a higher gear, while 4.10 is lower. 4.30 is even lower. On a ten speed bike, the larger diameter gear by the wheel on the rear is lower, while the smaller diameter gear on the rear by the wheel is higher. On the front by the pedals, the smaller diameter gear is lower, while the larger diameter gear on the front by the pedals is higher.

Lower gears are for starting out or going slowly or for carrying heavy loads or going up steep hills. Higher gears are for going faster or on level ground or with light loads.

Does that explanation help you to understand it better?

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.

Last edited by DonWarkentin; 08-15-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:04 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, you could just find a truck you really like regardless of the gearing, and have a shop swap out to 3.73 gears. I found them to be a compromise gear for better MPG empty while still having a good ratio for getting up a hill. While my 99 had a different transmission with a far different final drive compared to the 6 speed in the 19, it is still a fair comparison for this.

Mine came with 4.10's and got 18 MPG, the engine was running at 2100 RPM @60 MPH. I had bought a new tuned PCM ( want to say it was from Troy, but I could be wrong since it was like 14 years ago), it had an 80 HP Tow tune on it. Well me in my BRILLIANT wisdom decided to put the pedal to the metal and wound up bouncing the rear duallies(don't do that) and shattered the spider gears in the rear, poking a hole in the diff cover, destroying the speed sensor and eventually chewing up the ring and pinion.

So I went and repaired it all, putting 3.73 gears in, and also did the front, Total parts came out to just around 2K with me doing all the work(that price included a few tools for setting up the gears). When done, the truck still accelerated well, didn't really notice much difference, but got better over all MPG as the RPM's were around 1900 or so at the same speed and was seeing around 20 MPG(empty). I never did get a chance to really see what it did towing because I had only towed with the 3.73 gears, never with the 4.10, so nothing to compare to, and I didn't calculate the MPG when towing.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in