Lane Keeping Equip - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lane Keeping Equip

Picked up my 2017 F350 in February and already need to get the windshield replaced. My truck has most of the options available but the lane keeping is not one of them. There isn't a button on the dash for it, nothing on the window sticker about it, nothing anywhere. When the company showed up with the standard glass they told me it was the wrong one, they said I needed one for the lane keeping. After explaining to and showing them that I didn't they pointed out that my truck did have the lane keeping camera mounted under the rear view mirror. If you look through the windshield you can actually see it. My questions are is this something that I can activate by simply installing the needed button on the dash or would it also take dealer updating in the ECM? Is this something anyone else has seen, Equipment partially installed in a truck without the option?
Thanks,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:02 AM

My Photos: (3)
That camera could also be automatic dimming headlights? It's possible that camera is used for both systems?? The auto rain sensor is back there too, but I don't believe it's a camera.

I just looked at my truck and I have two devices behind my mirror, one above the other. I have all the bells and whistles to include adaptive Cruise, auto dimming lights, rain sensing, and lane keep.

To answer your question further, from other research on this site, it seems very difficult to be able to add a system that wasn't installed at the factory. Most certainly there is programming involved.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I asked the glass guy about the auto high beams, he pointed out that it was a sensor on the back of the actual rear view mirror. I'm still hoping I can modify/ update this option. Still wondering why its there to begin with, if it is only for the lane keeping. Hopefully someone will know, thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM

Auto dimming highs beans do use a camera to detect tail lights in addition to street lights, so if you have the Auto Highbems, then you will need the correct windshield. The LKA uses it's own camera, so there would normally be 2 of them if you have both features. That sensor on the mirror is for the mirror autodim to compare forward light levels to rear light levels, so if the rear sensor has a higher light input it will dim the mirrors.

DD 2016 F150 Lariat 502a, AKA POS

Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904
'99 F350 CC LWB DRW

Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 AM

Garage
I ordered a cab-chassis and could not order some of the bells and whistles, I need a 203" for my flatbed is why I ordered.

I too wish to add Blind spot monitoring, adaptive criuse, and enhanced trailer tow. I know some sensors are in the taillight, which I don't have but through disection of a damaged one A proper camera or radar can be installed.

I understand it will be expensive, and I might have to buck up and buy some parts from the dealership, and that wiring might have to be scavenged from wrecking yards. I really don't expect to find the pigtail just sitting there blanked off, but will take a look.

First thing is to install a bed camera, I ordered the Factory camera system for the Cab Chassis but it did not come with the bed camera, it is on it's way and the Headache rack will allow visibility. Same for the aftermarket bumper and the adaptive cruise.

Are there any other tinker'ers out there? How about a way to hack the ECM? I would really like the exhaust brake to default ON. Unless someone can impart a reason why It should be off all the time.

PM me and lets trade notes-- Building my severe duty F450 FB

2000 350SD, Crew, SRW, 6 speed, custom bumpers, 4" exhaust, Bullydog, Spar Guages.
In possession 2018 450 Lariat Cab-Chassiss, Blue Jean, future 11' Aluminum custom Flatbed, DBL super single 335-80-20 488's 2 1/2" lift all around, electric locker in the front, Airlift bags, on board compressors Sulastics on their way when revision done, bumper TBD

*******SEVERE DUTY********
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 AM

Even though this is for F150, a lot is now shared between them and the Superduties, so give a look at these two threads, you might find some useful information. Beware, they are LONG.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forsc...7/#post4791312

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/adapt...9/#post5196638

The adapter to connect the laptop to the OBDII costs about $20, and the software is free.

DD 2016 F150 Lariat 502a, AKA POS

Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904
'99 F350 CC LWB DRW

Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 PM

My Photos: (4)
Lane keeping is a camera/sensor under each side mirror.

2000 F350 Lariat, Black with Tan Interior
2004 F350 Lariat, White with Gray Interior
2007 F350 Lariat, Red with Black Interior
2014 F450 DRW Lariat, Ruby Red with Black Interior
2017 F350 DRW Lariat, Graphite with Black Interior
2019 F450 DRW Lariat, Graphite with Black Interior
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshjr View Post
Are there any other tinker'ers out there? How about a way to hack the ECM? I would really like the exhaust brake to default ON. Unless someone can impart a reason why It should be off all the time.

The 2008 Rams were the same way and someone figured out how to install a resistor into the switch and it would then default on instead of off on startup. Get someone who knows wiring real well and you might get the exhaust brake fixed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshjr View Post
I ordered a cab-chassis and could not order some of the bells and whistles, I need a 203" for my flatbed is why I ordered.

I too wish to add Blind spot monitoring, adaptive criuse, and enhanced trailer tow. I know some sensors are in the taillight, which I don't have but through disection of a damaged one A proper camera or radar can be installed.

I understand it will be expensive, and I might have to buck up and buy some parts from the dealership, and that wiring might have to be scavenged from wrecking yards. I really don't expect to find the pigtail just sitting there blanked off, but will take a look.

First thing is to install a bed camera, I ordered the Factory camera system for the Cab Chassis but it did not come with the bed camera, it is on it's way and the Headache rack will allow visibility. Same for the aftermarket bumper and the adaptive cruise.

I wish my truck had blind spot also. Would be nice in such a big truck. However Adaptive cruise is a pain in the butt. I have it in my 12 Taurus SHO and wish i never got that option. It will slam on the brakes if someone changes lanes in front of you and they are to close but the get out of the way but it's to late and your brakes are applied. I would test drive a car that has that to see if you like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in