Manual Hubs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Hubs

I have a 2017 F-350 4-Wheel drive Dually. It has "manual locking hubs". On the hubs, there is an "auto" and the "manual" positions. It is and was on "auto".

What is the difference and why are there both settings on the hubs?

Thanks.

John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Auto is just that, unlocked until you turn the switch for 4x4.
Manual is just like the oldschool hubs being locked.
This should be in the owners manual...
Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
HeavyAssault likes this.

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Itís a backup just in case the auto lock fails you can still get out and manually lock the hubs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HeavyAssault likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Snowing a blizzard out there today...and supposed to go through Monday. Garage is about 220 feet from the house. Truck in garage. Manual in truck. Manual will stay in the truck until summer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssihs View Post
Snowing a blizzard out there today...and supposed to go through Monday. Garage is about 220 feet from the house. Truck in garage. Manual in truck. Manual will stay in the truck until summer.
Love it! Since you are hunkered down today you should point your web browser to https://owner.ford.com register and log in. Then you can enter your VIN and see your owners manual on line. There are other great features on the Ford Owner website.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 AM

Garage
So what if I replace factory hubs with WARN premium manual hubs. Would I be wasting my $$$?

2000 350SD, Crew, SRW, 6 speed, custom bumpers, 4" exhaust, Bullydog, Spar Guages.
In possession 2018 450 Lariat Cab-Chassiss, Blue Jean, future 11' Aluminum custom Flatbed, DBL super single 335-80-20 488's 2 1/2" lift all around, electric locker in the front, Airlift bags, on board compressors Sulastics on their way when revision done, bumper TBD

*******SEVERE DUTY********
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshjr View Post
So what if I replace factory hubs with WARN premium manual hubs. Would I be wasting my $$$?

If your truck has ESOF (electronic shift on the fly), then maybe your money is wasted. Some don't like the ESOF hubs and they don't care if they need to get out the truck.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:58 PM

My Photos: (8)
Manual hubs have a few advantages. If you want to back in a trailer, put the truck in 4X4 low and unlock the front hubs. This makes backing a lot easier on your auto tranny and makes you look like a pro. The other advantage of having the hubs manual locked is when you shift the ESOF to 4x4 you do not have to wait for the hubs to lock up by vacuum. If you do go to manual hubs make sure you block off the vacuum nipple on the hub and the lines. I lock mine in Oct and unlock in April.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019

Last edited by DENNY; 06-11-2018 at 11:08 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshjr View Post
I think it depends on your particular needs.

I was initially skeptical of an ESOF after always having had WARNS but my three different ESOF have all worked great after replacing 4’ of vacuum hose (2’ at each front wheel).

In AK, road conditions remain fairly equal...if there is snow, ice covered road then its everywhere.

In the West, you might have snow at one elevation and not another. You might have dry pavement on south facing slopes and snow elsewhere.

I have come to enjoy my ESOF.

Its like asking which hammer you should buy. You choose the best tool for your particular job.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 06-11-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 PM

I have always had manual transfer case in my F350's. If I did get ESOF, I would make sure to use it every few weeks even in the summer (just shift in and out a few times when driving on a straight road). Kind of a use it or loose it type of thing. Also good to know if you have a problem before the winter hits. The downside of leaving manual hubs locked all the time is you do take a small hit on MPG. It is like ArcticDriver said depends on the your needs.

DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 AM

Garage
All good- I am in Pac NW but frequent AK. I have never had an issue turning in my hubs BEFORE I needed to. I have forgotten them but the steering is heavier and I notice that.
All being said I will replace with WARN premiums.
My advice that on the 1st of the month you run manual hubs in for at least 10 miles, That is also when I get the grease gun out but these new ones don't have all the old ones did!!
always ran DELO is that still good for the 6.7's? really don't want that many different oils around, got those synthetic stuff for the wifes explorer and my commuter. I like DELO for my 7.3, Bronco and tractors.
where have all the people gone there used to be many more on this site?

2000 350SD, Crew, SRW, 6 speed, custom bumpers, 4" exhaust, Bullydog, Spar Guages.
In possession 2018 450 Lariat Cab-Chassiss, Blue Jean, future 11' Aluminum custom Flatbed, DBL super single 335-80-20 488's 2 1/2" lift all around, electric locker in the front, Airlift bags, on board compressors Sulastics on their way when revision done, bumper TBD

*******SEVERE DUTY********
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 AM

I am of the opinion that if you are somewhere with snow that requires 4x4 then synthetic oil is going to offer real advantage over dino.

DELO is a high quality HDEO.

I admire your grease schedule.

I just run my ESOF for a short distance in the summer. My only purpose is to splash some gear oil around and confirm the ESOF transfer case functions. Unfortunately, I keep finding PSDs with no manual transfer case.

I don’t know where everyone has gone.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 AM

Artic
I had to look long and hard to find a low mile 99 with manual transfer case, even longer if you want a six speed also. I finally went with a auto tranny one I found. I prefer six speed myself and wife drives it fine, but every now and then I have to loan the truck out and the clutch takes a real beating. The auto will be easier for the non clutch guests. When this tranny needs rebuild I will spend the money for all the good stuff. When I do a brake job or check spindle bearings I will usually soak my manual hubs in a bath of AMSOIL ATF for about a half hour, drain and stick them back in. My last truck had 385,000 on it and factory hubs turned better than new.
DENNY

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Denny,

I remember reading your ATF soak suggestion last summer.

That practice shoukd work equally well for ESOF hubs, shouldn’t it?

I sure prefer knowing my transfer case position with a manual shift and I just can’t get used to trucks that don’t have a gear lever or two on the floor hump...especially in the mountains.

SOLD:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 02:14 PM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
...but every now and then I have to loan the truck out and the clutch takes a real beating.
I sure hope you're not talking about me, Denny. You've been gracious enough to loan me your previous 6 speed rig when mine had issues, and I sure appreciate that. I've only gone thru 3 or is it 4 clutches on my truck, (I swear that at least 2 of them weren't my fault) but I've sworn off drag racing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
That practice shoukd work equally well for ESOF hubs, shouldn’t it?
I'm not sure the ATF soak would be good for ESOF hubs since they have a vacuum diaphragm in them. Don't know if ATF would affect that. Maybe put them adjuster knob down in a shallow pan of ATF so it lubes the adjuster knob o-rings. That's usually what stiffens up on manual hubs.
ArcticDriver likes this.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in