Pulling a trailer with camper on - wiring issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ford_doctor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulling a trailer with camper on - wiring issue

I plug my camper into the round 7 pin trailer connector. I will be pulling a trailer soon and need to figure out how to plug both in. Will the Trailer Wiring Harness - In Bed
Part No: HC3Z-15A416-A work for me or does it disable the back connector? It is also a pain having the truck think there is a trailer attached everytime I start it because I have the camper plugged in. Is there anyway to disable that? is this something that can be done with forscan

Ray Mason
2004 F350 4X4 Crewcab
Sled Deck
6 spd basic

88 Ford F350 4X4 Crewcab
Original Injector Pump
Original Clutch
Electric Fuel Pump
Reconditioned Shotgun Holder
Lots of Rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Your trailer should take precedence, unplug the camper then plug in the trailer.

2015 F-350 CCLB PSD 4X4 3.55 ELD

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymason View Post
I plug my camper into the round 7 pin trailer connector. I will be pulling a trailer soon and need to figure out how to plug both in. Will the Trailer Wiring Harness - In Bed
Part No: HC3Z-15A416-A work for me or does it disable the back connector? It is also a pain having the truck think there is a trailer attached everytime I start it because I have the camper plugged in. Is there anyway to disable that? is this something that can be done with forscan

I am guessing you have an in bed camper that you want to plug into the 5th wheel trailer connector in the bed AND tow a trailer using the trailer connector at the hitch? Doing so should not disable anything or cause problems in theory - meaning if your truck has a trailer tow module, excessive lights might cause lighting circuits to shut off and you might get false "trailer connected" error messages on the message center due to the fact your camper is not connected/using the trailer brake circuit and "brake system fault" error messages when just the camper is installed will result as well. Without the trailer module having both connected should not cause any problems at all. Regardless of whether the in bed connector is factory or an add on, all of the circuits at the connectors are shared as they are spliced together. So to answer your question, one won't disable the other.
raymason likes this.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
F
ord Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 10-13-2018 at 07:56 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Thanks Ford doctor. Do you know a way to not have the "trailer connected" message come on with just my camper plugged in?

Ray Mason
2004 F350 4X4 Crewcab
Sled Deck
6 spd basic

88 Ford F350 4X4 Crewcab
Original Injector Pump
Original Clutch
Electric Fuel Pump
Reconditioned Shotgun Holder
Lots of Rust
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:09 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
We install in bed plugs all the time with a simple harness. You unplug from the back side of the 7 way. Truck harness plugs into harness that plugs into back of bumper 7 way. HavenÂ’t had a single customer say they get a warning when plugged into just one of the 7 ways.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 08:09 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We install in bed plugs all the time with a simple harness. You unplug from the back side of the 7 way. Truck harness plugs into harness that plugs into back of bumper 7 way. HavenÂ’t had a single customer say they get a warning when plugged into just one of the 7 ways.

Chuck it depends on the vehicle and I don't get many complaints from pick-up owners other than lighting issues. I mentioned the warning messages because I have seen a lot of 2017 and newer CAB AND CHASSIS trucks with the issue... I wasn't sure if pick-ups were affected by connecting a trailer to the 7-way without a trailer brake - it is not the piggy back harness that is the problem. The body companies are still using the trailer wiring for the body upfit wiring on the cab and chassis trucks as they have done for years. What happens in the new trucks is when you step on the brake pedal the TRM thinks that there is a trailer connected and does not see a brake connection and will cause a “trailer attached” and other trailer messages in the cluster including brake fault warnings. I am curious of connecting a slide in camper will cause this, that's all so I thought is was good to mention it.

A side note, I had to re-wire the body lights to the chassis lighting for parking lights and turn/stop lamps to correct the condition on those trucks I had in the shop. But that can cause circuit problems if incandescent bulbs are used and the BCM detected too high of a circuit load and it will shut off the circuit. If the body is lit with LED's it works without issues. These new trucks are fricken fun eh?

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
F
ord Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in