The Diesel Stop banner

Remote access

5K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  raymason 
#1 ·
Does anyone have the new instructions to program the Custom Accessories Remote start?
I took the VSS and RMU from my 2016 F350 to put in the 2017 F350. On the 2016 to program the VSS you had to turn the key in the ignition 8 times, not sure what to do with the push button start now. All the instructions I can find are for the 2011 to 2015.

Ford Custom Accessories | Remote Access

Thanks for any help

#2 ·
if you have a center console, on he left hand side you remove the bottom and then you will see another cover remove it also and there will be a indent that matches your key fob. Place the fob you want to flash in the indent. From there I don't know what is next step LOL. Didn't get that far.

#6 ·
Where did you connect the Remote Access Y-cable on the 2017?

For those that don't understand what's being discussed here, it is the cellular box that allows you to start, lock and unlock your truck using your phone.

#7 ·
The newer module comes with a new style cable, it plugs into the back of the OBD port. No programming or key turn procedures, once it's plugged in and the truck started it's good to go.
I do need to find a different place to mount the VSS module, the old one was mounted to the steering column and that detected movement pretty well. I can't mount it there on the new truck, the place I had to put it doesn't move so the alarm is not as sensitive. I have not got around to changing the sensitivity or a different mounting location yet.

#8 ·
Thanks. Guess my unit out of the 2014 won’t work. Hope I can transfer the subscription to the new box. Where did you buy yours?

#10 ·
Good to hear, so I just need a new VSS and can use the old modem. That is good news.

#11 ·
It worked as advertised. I actually suspect that we only needed to buy the new cable. I'm going to try my old VSS with the new cable and see for sure. Of course, not sure how easy it is to get the cable alone.

#13 ·
It didn't work. :( Oh well, at least we didn't have to pay for the modem and reset the subscription to a new box.

Reactions: ltranta
#17 · (Edited)
Isn't that the part number for the older VSS? That's the exact same VSS that I ordered for my 2011 F150.

According to what I found online, the 2017 F350 will need FT4Z-19A361-A for the VSS.

The modem (RMU) part number should be the same for both: DL3Z-19A390-B

Side note: A popular Ford dealer that sells a lot of OEM stuff like this has the SAME modem (same exact part number) listed on their site with two different prices. When you look for it under the 2009-2014 F150 area, it's $195.50. When you find the EXACT same modem but listed under the 2015-2018 F150 and the 2017 Super Duty, it's $310.50. Exact same P/N. Go figure.

#19 ·
Here is the link to all that you need if you already have the modem from a previous install:

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/...le-security-system-perimeter-plus-p-5118.html

The correct part number is: FT4Z-19A361-A

It is a 3 minute hookup for the wiring to verify the install. Then it is a 30 minute fight to get the boxes and wires zip-tied and out of the way. Watch out for the brake pedal and parking brake so that you don't interfere with anything.

#21 ·
Question, being a newbie with this high tech truck, the window sticker shows the option of Remote Start System. I can see that this function is do-able with the key-fob, but of all the videos that I've viewed on the owner.ford.com site and the YouTube video, it look like I should be able to sync my iPhone 6S+. which I have, and see the buttons to start, stop, the truck from the FordPlus web app. All it show on the iPhone is the the current fuel level and the milage. Am I missing an option, configuration, or is this option available only via the key-fob.

Thanks

#23 ·
The trucks don't come with the modem built in to use the Ford Plus stuff fully. For some reason, they always put the new stuff on the lower end cars first.

So, follow the link I posted above and call Levittown Ford. They can hook you up with the full system that we are talking about here that will give you remote start, shutdown, unlock, lock and allow you to set off the horn if you can't find the truck in a parking lot. The Find portion of the app doesn't let you see the location of your truck on the phone..

#26 ·
Headed down to the Ford dealer this afternoon and asked then to walk me through this. Seems that the 2017 F250 SD's do not have this function. It, the ability to lock/unlock, start/stop, honk horn to locate, is only on the F150 and select other automobiles. They did tell me that it is available on the 2018 F250 SD's. They also stated that it , at some point, might/maybe become available on the 2017 F250's with a software update. So the only info I can glean with the FordPass app is fuel level and odometer miles.

#30 ·
Update, per the folks at Ford Customer Service, my truck does not have the hardware option to use the FordPass application. They explained how I was seeing remaining fuel capacity and milages, was when I sync'ed my phone to the truck via Bluetooth. My key-fob does have the remote start capability. The Customer Service person told me to talk to the dealers service department, not the sales people!

#31 ·
Tsunami01,

Most local dealers are not up to speed on the Ford Remote Access hardware and IOS/Android Phone App.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ford.remoteaccess&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ford-remote-access/id587040067?mt=8

These apps are different than the FordPass app. Our trucks do not have the hardware to use the FordPass app fully.

In order to use the Remote Access app, you need to order the hardware kit. Dealers like Levittown Ford or Banner Ford are familiar with what you need, how to install and how to activate.

The kit includes the Vehicle Security System Module that plugs into the OBD-II harness. You will remove the wire bundle that connects to the OBD-II under the steering wheel. That wire will plug into the new wiring harness, which will also have a connector that plugs back into the OBD-II port. The kit will include another box that has a SIM card in it. I call it a modem, because it uses the sim card and the cellular network to communicate with the app.

Technically, when you tell the app to start your truck, it makes a phone call to the "modem" which then sends the command through the VSS to the truck. I have communicated with my truck using the app when I was in China and the truck is sitting at the airport in the US. The Security System actually sensed a security event due to some very powerful storms that rollled through and set the VSS sensors off. Pretty cool.

For your reading pleasure, here is an EXTENSIVE thread from the F150 Forum. Do not be dissuaded that it's on that forum. The system and install is the same. I'd suggest you start reading the postings from about July 2016. Also, don't worry about the connectivity issues some reported in the spring of this year. Those have been fixed.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/ford-remote-access-app-smart-phones-201915/

Anyway, it is really a five minute install and a little extra time to tidy up the wire bundle. Seriously, it took me far longer to type this than it would for you to get it all plugged in and tested.

#36 ·
Beside the price of the hardware is there any monthly/yearly subscription to the VSS?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.