Sync 3 Issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sync 3 Issues

Has anyone found a place to report software bugs to Ford? I have an ever growing list of Sync 3 issues and my dealership is no help. Things like:

- The radio turns itself on 60-ish seconds after connecting a Bluetooth device
- The radio turns itself on after making a Bluetooth call
- Sync 3 turns the ringer volume on a Bluetooth-connected phone to max (so you get out of the truck, someone calls you, and the ringer scares the bejesus out of you)
- <long list of Bluetooth-related radio issues>
- Seemingly random crashes

I'm currently still on the 2.0 version that shipped with the vehicle. I've read various things that there is a 2.2 version, but mine is not seeing that update when it checks in and the dealership says there is no update (though my dealership sucks at software in general).

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
1978 F250 Flatbed, 351M V8, Custom, 4x4, Green

Last edited by jaso; 08-02-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 AM

Jaso,
I didn't have all your issues, Mine was I didn't get the traffic link. I first contacted Sirus and they tried to re link my radio a couple times but that didn't work I called my dealer and at first they didn't have any answeres until I talked with the Tech who worked on the radios. I found out that their is a new softwear update for the Sync 3 2017 trucks. Try that it worked for me..
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Texas wolf,

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind posting your software version? I'm currently at 2.0 and when I check for updates Sync 3 tells me that it is on the latest, but I know there is a 2.2 out there from other forums. For some reason the 2017s aren't auto-updating to 2.2 supposedly because the main reason for the 2.2 update was to add CarPlay and AndroidAuto to 2016 vehicles (which were shipped with 1.x).

2017 F350 ECLB, 6.7L, Lariat, FX4, 3.55 E-Locker, Camper Package, Ruby Red/Magnetic, Black Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:18 PM

My Photos: (3)
I pretty much bypass sync and use Andriod Auto...so much more intuitive and better!

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I don't mean any disrespect but that's not how systems like Sync work. Yes, you are using applications on your phone but Sync is still controlling the in-vehicle hardware and processing data sent from your device. It's not like hooking up a cable between your DVD player and TV; it's more similar to a web browser and a web server. What you are bypassing entirely is AppLink, which I can't fathom why Ford bothered to develop (you can't use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay at the same time as AppLink, and AppLink has near 0 features).

What I'm getting at is that I'm doing the same thing you are with a mixture of CarPlay and Bluetooth and Sync is often throwing a fit. I overly-focused on Bluetooth in my original post but I have similar issues with the CarPlay parts of the system. I'd like to be able to report these issues to Ford but can't find a venue to do so, and I can't even have an intelligent conversation about the issues with my dealer because all they want to know is if there is a TSB and if there is what it says to do.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 AM

My Photos: (3)
I see. I have spent very little time in the truck, but I have only had one bluetooth issue in the past. I think it was more related to my phone then Sync.

2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
[old]2002 7.3L PSD, 6spd, 4x4 Off-Road, Super Cab, Short Bed, ARE Topper, SCMT Autometer gauges, Tymar, 4" SS aero-turbine exhaust, & WW.

'73 Bronco 351 SEFI, 35's & Locked!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaso View Post
Texas wolf,

Thanks for the reply. Would you mind posting your software version? I'm currently at 2.0 and when I check for updates Sync 3 tells me that it is on the latest, but I know there is a 2.2 out there from other forums. For some reason the 2017s aren't auto-updating to 2.2 supposedly because the main reason for the 2.2 update was to add CarPlay and AndroidAuto to 2016 vehicles (which were shipped with 1.x).
Jaso,
sorry for the late responce. I have version 2.2 I had the 2.1 and wiht that one I could not get my traffic list. Like you Sync said I had the latest but it took some digging with my local Ford Tech to get someone to conferm a 2.2 was avalable.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

I was able to get my system upgraded to 2.2. I haven't used it long enough to know if it will resolve the issues I was reporting. I'm going to put together a post of the process cause it was a bit hectic.

Upgrade steps are here:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-2-2-a-624377/

Last edited by jaso; 08-10-2017 at 10:25 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas wolf View Post
Jaso,
sorry for the late responce. I have version 2.2 I had the 2.1 and wiht that one I could not get my traffic list. Like you Sync said I had the latest but it took some digging with my local Ford Tech to get someone to conferm a 2.2 was avalable.
Do you have factory-equipped navigation in your car? Would you mind posting your Gracenote version? After upgrading my Gracenote version still says 1.1.1.797 (GL-0011). I don't have Nav but I don't know if that matters or not.

Thanks!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Do you have factory-equipped navigation in your car? Would you mind posting your Gracenote version? After upgrading my Gracenote version still says 1.1.1.797 (GL-0011). I don't have Nav but I don't know if that matters or not.

Thanks!
Jaso,
yes I have NAV. You lost me with the Gracenote version. I am not to tech savvy. If you tell me where to find it I will get if for you.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Garage
I think I would insist that the dealer fix it or find out why they can't. That's their responsibility. Even if you get in touch with someone at Ford they are going to re-direct you to your friendly dealership. Ford will not give you a fix that you yourself can perform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:40 PM

My Photos: (2)
Garage
I had to take mine in and have it flashed to the update. My f-350 was randomly shutting off my radio and my navigation. Has been great since the update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-350 CC Shortbed, Rebuilt 7.3 Powerstroke, 200K, head studs, Adrenalin HPOP, DIY BHAF, EBV brake mod, New motor, New trans both @ 170K, 4" Lift, 35" BFG KM2, GEAR HEAD 6 Position, Banks Big Head Wastegate, 4" Duals, Superlift Air Bags, B&W Hide a ball W/ 5th Wheel Companion, Marinco mod, '15 steps,'12 tailgate,'15 mirrors,'12 seat belts and jump seat. no more lap belts

2017 F-350 Duper Duty Tuxedo Black Crewcab Long bed

LOCAL 3 OPERATORS UNION UTAH

LOCAL 140 PIPE WELDERS/ FITTERS UNION UTAH
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:16 PM

I checked my Sync 3 software yesterday and received a response was that Sync last scanned for updates on 6/17/2018. I wanted to see if there were updates due to two recent issues.

1. Two weeks ago using NAV, my NAV seemed to freeze. The miles to go froze and the map was not moving even though I [truck] was moving. I stopped the navigation and restarted and it worked OK.

2. Two days later, as I was driving and playing music from a USB device, I started to sound as if I was listening to a over air radio station and loosing signal. The device changed to a new song but the display continued to show the last song played. After a few minutes i switched to radio, albeit not for long. The display still showed that last song, but it stopped playing music altogether. None of the buttons on the display worked at all. I could not change music source, I could not change screens, nothing. So I tried to turn it off and on. Would NOT turn off. I pulled into the next rest area, turned off the ignition and opened the door. The display remained on. Would not turn off. After a minute or 2 it finally shut off. I started the truck and it still had that same screen as when it turned off. So I turned off the truck and pulled the fuses for Display and Radio (BTW royal PITA to get to those tiny fuses - at least for an old guy). When I started the truck it was working properly again, and has been since then.

Has anyone else experienced these type issues?

I logged into my Ford account but could not find any place to report an issue, as stated earlier in this thread. I will be taking it in for an oil change next week so I am going to mention it to the dealer, not that I hope anything will come of it.

John

2018 F-450 King Ranch. White Gold. Factory Installed 27K Ford (Reese) 5th wheel hitch.
Fulltime RV'er Pulling a 2019 DRV Mobile Suites.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm getting the impression that Ford has no intention of enhancing or maintaining Sync like a typical commercial software package would be. In my experience it has been a flaky product - crashes, renders screens funky, hangs, etc - and they don't seem to be releasing any updates. I can't find any place to report bugs to Ford and if I try to talk about any of this to my dealership they look at me like I just fell out of the sky.

In short, it seems like a typical case of "we know vehicles but we don't know software" that you get from US auto manufacturers.
Phil G. likes this.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 AM

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
I'm getting the impression that Ford has no intention of enhancing or maintaining Sync like a typical commercial software package would be. In my experience it has been a flaky product - crashes, renders screens funky, hangs, etc - and they don't seem to be releasing any updates. I can't find any place to report bugs to Ford and if I try to talk about any of this to my dealership they look at me like I just fell out of the sky.

In short, it seems like a typical case of "we know vehicles but we don't know software" that you get from US auto manufacturers.
IMO, you nailed it right on the head!

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2017 & up Ford Super Duties > 2017 & Up General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in