1 garage door opener and 2 vehicles with homelink only 1 works at a time - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1 garage door opener and 2 vehicles with homelink only 1 works at a time

I have 3 vehicles, each have Homelink. It seems only 1 can be programmed for a door opener at a time. If it's working, and I program the other car Homelink, the first car Homelink no longer works. Is this as designed or am I missing something?

2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD - this one's all stock
2008 F-250 King Ranch Chrome Edition PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:22 PM

My Photos: (16)
Re: 1 garage door opener and 2 vehicles with homelink only 1 works at a time

I wonder if it's like car keyless entry fobs where it's necessary to program all at the same time? Could it be that someone needs to be in the other vehicles going through the same steps simultaneously, or at least all programmed before the programming cycle is completed?

RickN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 AM

My Photos: (0)

Don't most modern openers have a rotating code system? My two Genie openers do. After initial programming every time and individual opener sending unit connects with the base unit it requires the last set code. When the unit opens or closes it resets a slightly different code with that individual sender and base,so the codes rotate on each cycle never the same one. If the Homelink system works similarly then it would be impossible to use more than one sender, vehicle, per opener.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 12:23 PM

It can be frustrating as the process is somewhat complicated. If you hold the "button" on the opener too long, it reprograms the code and none of the Homelinks will work. After you set an individual Homelink unit, you need to push the assigned button and then the button on the opener to acknowledge the proper coding. Look in your owner's manual for the instrucions for your vehicle.

December, '02 build F-250 CC 4X4 Lariat 6.0/Torqshift,Toreador Red over Arizona Beige 4X4 FX4 w/ moon roof. Stull grill insert, chromed tow hooks/bed tie downs, painted door handles, King Ranch flares, '08 aluminum differential cover, Inyati bed liner, Edge 3" lift Bonspeed eight spoke wheels w/BFG AT KO 305/65R18s now gone, but greatly missed
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM

Can't help you much. I have two vehicles with homelink, and two genie openers and both vehicles can open both garage doors just fine. I don't think I did anything special to program them.

2008 F350 CC/LB Lariat Dark Forest Green/Med. Stone 4x4 6.4/TorqShift. Heated seats, adj. pedals, cab heater, audiophile stereo, traction control, 20" wheels. Rhino Liner, B&W turnoverball w/5th wheel companion
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Sheep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't help you much. I have two vehicles with homelink, and two genie openers and both vehicles can open both garage doors just fine. I don't think I did anything special to program them. </div></div>

Must be different model Genie openers than mine, with the rotating code system mine won't work two openers one door. When one opener uses the system it resets the code in the sender and base so the other openers are never on the same code pattern. A supposed security feature, like a garage door is Fort Knox anyway.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:12 AM

I believe there is a way to do it, but it's a pain. You have to program everything at once. The opener receiver has to know about each Homelink.

I helped a coworker set this up a few years ago. Had to have both cars at the same time parked near the garage, and it took several tires and a lot of re-reading the instructions.

It helps to have one person in each car pushing the correct Homelink buttons, and a third person on the ladder pushing the programming button on the opener. You can do it with fewer people, but it's crazy trying to run around and do everything with some fairly short time windows to get it all done. Every button push has to be perfect. Make one mistake, and you gotta start over.

The Homelink instructions will tell you how to do it, or they will tell you up front which models it will never work with.

HTH

-steve
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:52 PM

Your garage door can only have so many items programmed at once. For instance, if you get new cars, keypads or remotes you may max out the number of codes that can be stored. I would recommend that you reset the garage door unit. You can do this on many of them by holding the "learn" button for several seconds. This should wipe out all wireless codes that have been stored and allow you to store multiple codes again. Hope this helps...

Marc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 PM

Resolved ... I had the same issue with my Toyota 4Ruuner and Toyota Tundra. Only 1 can be programmed and the other loses it. I have a Genie garage door (with rolling code) and what finally worked is when i reset the garage door opener by pressing and holding the learn button for 10 seconds. Then programmed the regular remote control that comes with the garage door. And then reprogramming both cars as i did before. This time though both kept the code.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynnnn View Post
Resolved ... I had the same issue with my Toyota 4Ruuner and Toyota Tundra. Only 1 can be programmed and the other loses it. I have a Genie garage door (with rolling code) and what finally worked is when i reset the garage door opener by pressing and holding the learn button for 10 seconds. Then programmed the regular remote control that comes with the garage door. And then reprogramming both cars as i did before. This time though both kept the code.
Of all the above articles, this is the one that works.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:55 PM

I just want to add a big thank you. There aren't a lot of guides the talk about resetting the overhead completely. This worked for us just now. We've now got the two cars (one just added), two clickers, and the remote keypad all working.

Huge success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in