Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   Other Technical Questions (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f34/)
-   -   are 6.2 gassers really that bad? (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f34/6-2-gassers-really-bad-656388/)

searcyfarms 08-09-2019 11:46 AM

are 6.2 gassers really that bad?

I got this info from hand calculated owner of a I think its a 2015 6.2 F250 dually CC 4x4 who uses his mainly for farm use/hauling flatbed trailer with his kubota tractor or car trailer with vehicles etc....nothing extremely heavy - kubota w/trailer and truck are around 15K lbs - he is usually pulling 6 to 9K lbs when towing or empty trailer before pickup of vehicle. I didnt ask what gear ratio.

He disclosed his hand calculated mileage on his truck and it was as follows

In a years time he only has two tanks over 10mpg, one empty at 11.02 going to wichita and another 14.90 driving around in the snow.

ALL of the rest are from 5 to 7 mpg which are loaded/trailer and then 7 to 9 empty

that is scary bad if you ask me and ford is coming out with a 7.3 gasser who will likely be even more thirsty - our old 460 did that good and had a 3 speed trannie with no overdrive.

I got 5 to 7 with my 351 windsor h.o. pulling my skid steer

With these gas figures how does a person justify going back to gas?

I put on 25K minimum per yr and if i use 7mpg @2.5$/gal thats ( current prices ) $8929/yr
Diesel would be 15mpg ( what i avg in my diesel now ) $4650 @ 2.79/gal = $4279 savings so in a tad over 2 yrs i have paid for my diesel engine and have the resale to boot.

In 300K miles which is the current state of my diesel on that gasser i would have spent $107142 on gas
$55,800 on diesel = savings of $51342 - i realize i would have DEF costs and repairs for diesel are expensive but what am i missing?

I would think we could get a gasser that could do better than those numbers WOW

I been wanting to go back gas but this doesnt make sense - thoughts anyone?

96STROKE 08-09-2019 11:46 PM

are 6.2 gassers really that bad?

Gas starts in cold weather, donít stink, cheaper to maintain , half the price for oil change, cheaper to purchase, warm up quicker, make better around town ride

Before you say anything let me get my flame suit on

I have had 2 of the 7.3L power strokes. Went with a gaser 2 years ago. Well looking to go back to a diesel because I want to. But the diesel costs a ton to own..... vs the gas. Not opinion, just facts of ownership

ford_doctor 08-10-2019 07:06 AM

Gasoline engines in these trucks have always had poor mileage. 5-7 seems unusually low BUT it's "farm use" suggests the truck is used on a property where the average speed is low, idle time may be high on top of a lot of towing.

Tall Timbers 08-10-2019 10:53 AM

I'm averaging 14 MPG with the 2018 Ford with the 6.2 without much of a load. I like the engine well enough but admit I miss the '99 and '00 7.3L PSDs that I had. But as mentioned, the cost of ownership of the diesel is high, so unless you need what a diesel affords work-wise, then a gasser is a much more economical option. I'm getting old and was reaching a point where I didn't think I'd have the strength to loosen the oil filter on the PSD to do my own oil changes, so went with the gasser on the new truck. I don't regret my decision despite missing the diesel engines and all that they afforded.

DonWarkentin 08-10-2019 02:38 PM

Ships are switching from bunker fuel to diesel, increasing the demand for diesel and raising the price. https://www.ttnews.com/articles/carg...esel-fuel-2020

If diesel prices go sky high, then the gas option may become more appealing. Ford is aware of this, and will be ready for it with the gas 7.3l.

searcyfarms 08-10-2019 05:29 PM

thanks guys, im thinking if the 6.2 is any indication how much ford put into the economy considerations the 7.3 gasser will be even worse - thats a scary thought.

you would think with 6 to 10 speed transmissions, fuel injection, better aerodynamics, technology, we could produce something better than we are. I know the V10 was a vacuum as well.

Im about 4 yrs out on a replacement so i will have time to see what happens before i move on anything that will give me time to ponder real world results. If im going to get V10 mileage out of a 6.2 i may as well go 7.3.

klhansen 08-10-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonWarkentin (Post 4665734)
Ships are switching from bunker fuel to diesel, increasing the demand for diesel and raising the price. https://www.ttnews.com/articles/carg...esel-fuel-2020

If diesel prices go sky high, then the gas option may become more appealing. Ford is aware of this, and will be ready for it with the gas 7.3l.

Some cargo ships are switching from fuel oil to LNG. There are a couple container ships that run from Tacoma to Anchorage, Alaska are doing that. Currently, Diesel is about 20c cheaper than gas up here. But you're right, if diesel prices go way up, gassers will be a lot easier on the pocketbook to own.

ford_doctor 08-11-2019 01:39 AM

I am amazed that people might expect good fuel economy from an engine that puts out 385-hp and 430 lb/ft of torque. I too think it will be interesting to see where the real world 7.3L numbers end up.

searcyfarms 08-11-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford_doctor (Post 4665766)
I am amazed that people might expect good fuel economy from an engine that puts out 385-hp and 430 lb/ft of torque. I too think it will be interesting to see where the real world 7.3L numbers end up.

I would ask............should we not expect descent fuel economy from companies ?

Should we not expect technology to perform better and have better fuel economy?

With all the focus on the environment, should we not expect something better than a 1976 fuel mileage?

ArcticDriver 08-11-2019 04:10 PM

You get 15-mpg pulling 15K pounds?

ArcticDriver 08-11-2019 04:13 PM

241 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by searcyfarms (Post 4665790)
With all the focus on the environment, should we not expect something better than a 1976 fuel mileage?

It might be all that focus on the environment is the reason for the low mpg. Clean Emissions vs Higher MPG.

searcyfarms 08-11-2019 06:09 PM

expectation of gasser for me for a 3/4 or 1ton would be

15mpg empty at hwy speeds
13 mixed/city
10 to 11 hauling avg load
8 extreme load

diesel now
i get 18 to 19 now at hwy speeds
17 mixed
11 to 14 towing large to small
The least was GCWR of 30K and i got between 9 and 10

i dont have a heavy foot

HeavyAssault 08-12-2019 04:25 AM

Back when I bought my '99 V10, the costs I paid in fuel over time a 7.3L owner paid for on the sticker for the motor.

In the end a diesel sells due to MPG and power while loaded. Not to mention how many miles on intends on driving or owning the vehicle.

The new gasser 7.3L will be a hot seller with plenty of people. Add on a few power tweaks with a tuner or forced induction.....it's going to be the modern day "old school" High Boy of the past.

BTW for those arguing about the global impacts.....diesel trucks are going to be replaced by electric variants. Nothing compares to the low end TQ of a DC motor with INSTANT power...no lag, no weakness......no pollution. Just think....instead of a old school front axle...how about two DC motors up front controlled to add traction/pulling power when needed. No power used when flat driving, motor recharges battery, then uphill climbs the system engages the two DC motors to pull the vehicle up the hill. Added traction in the snow/mud when a Mode button is pressed or the system determines it's needed.

searcyfarms 08-12-2019 09:06 AM

diesel trucks are going to be replaced by electric variants. Nothing compares to the low end TQ of a DC motor with INSTANT power...no lag, no weakness......no pollution.

I doubt most of us here will be able to live to the completion of this nor be able to afford one when it happens - i see the CNG metro transit busses around here ( no clue how they work )

the good portion of us will likely be toting our high maint diesels or gas guzzlers.

I think part of the reason trucks/diesels have gotten so expensive is they are preparing for the prices they will be charging for these new trucks that are technologically advanced and the RnD that they claim cause them to be so $$$$ even tho they have fewer parts and require less overall maint costs.

We all know its a racket for technology, environmental impacts, fuels, lobbyists, agendas, and we will all be the ones paying for it and we have yet to experience any benefit from it from what i would call substantial outside of airbags and longevity, unfortunately most of the longevity gain is offset by expensive maint costs.

All we have managed to do is create more creature comforts - they all burn the same amount of fuel, they continue to cost tons more, - i do like airbags and them lasting longer but they have to due to their cost.

We will likely not see any benefits going forward either

HeavyAssault 08-12-2019 09:24 AM

They said the same thing about cell phones nor did anyone REALLY think they would be using it for the internet. If we were talking about living on Mars....sure I would agree with you.

There's plenty of vehicles out there that are 100% electric...is 2008 really that far back?? Nope...so why in the next 10 years can't you see the big three pumping out 100% electric trucks?? BTW I'm currently addressing a hybrid drive version....after that the dye is cast and the future will be here soon!! Ford already has an F150 Hybrid in the works.