Can't find replacement gooseneck ball - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:33 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A torch isn't the only way to enlarge holes, just the fastest.

We have installed a few hitches with a sprayed bed liner, you may want to ask your local RV dealer.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyergrrl View Post
. It looks like I am stuck with having to go bumper-pull for any trailers.

Baloney. Almost any ole shade-tree mechanic can figure out how to install Reese in-bed rails for a Reese 5er hitch in your truck.

With the bed rails installed, you can then choose to add a Reese 5er hitch or a Reese gooseneck adapter called "The Goose". I used "The Goose" to tow a 22k trailer 350 miles across the Hill Country with no hitch problems. It uses an ordinary bolt-on ball. Click on the following "Amazon.com" link to see one:

Assemble the bedrails with "The Goose", then use the assembly to place the bed rails exactly where they must go - so the center of the ball is zero to four inches in front of the center of the axle, and centered side to side.

Yes, you have to drill holes in the bed. Measure very exactly above and below the bed to place those holes exactly where they need to be. The center of the gooseneck ball must be between exactly centered on top of the rear axle, or up to 4" in front of the rear axle. The farther in front of the rear axle the better, but not more than 4" in front of the axle or else you'll have problems with clearance at the back corner of the rear bumper. I use a tiny drill bit to drill the first hole, to be sure it's in exactly the right place. After you have the first small hole drilled, then use the The Goose assembled on the bedrails to precisely locate the other holes. Drill all of the holes with the tiny drillbit to be sure they will all work. After all are drilled with the tiny drillbit, then graduate to bigger drillbits until you have the correct size for your bolts.

Then, if you didn't use the custom install kit, have fun drilling the holes in the frame for the install brackets to bolt the bedrails to the frame. Drilling holes in the frame requires lots of muscle power and a good drill motor and sharp drill bits.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 01-06-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: fix typo
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 01:33 PM

My Photos: (0)
When you go to Smokey's link, note that in the "Sponsored Products Related To This Item" section, the B&W hitches all have 5-star ratings; the Reese only has 4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
... the B&W hitches all have 5-star ratings; the Reese only has 4.

Doesn't matter. She cannot install a B&W TurnOverBall because the old hitch is in the way. "The Goose" may not be as good as a TurnOverBall, but it will work just fine for her needs.

Or with the Reese bedrails installed, she could do it right and use a fifth-wheel hitch.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 PM
NYB

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyergrrl View Post
Hi again! Yes, I'm pretty sure my hitch assembly is an old una-goose, who, unfortunately, appear to be out of business now. I have talked to a few local shops, and nobody will try to install a new hitch assembly because I have sprayed-in bed liner, which they say is extremely flammable, and also because this all sits over my gas tank and external tank. The say I would need to have the hole in my bed enlarged for a new assembly, which requires cutting and welding, and nobody will do it because of the items I mentioned in the previous sentence. It looks like I am stuck with having to go bumper-pull for any trailers.

Not sure what is going on with the local hitch experts you are consulting, but you might consider seeking out a new team of local hitch experts.

1. First of all, Una-Goose is NOT out of business. Give owner Paul Meyer a call at your earliest convenience during eastern time business hours , (not at 9 pm at night like I did just now, and spoke to him personally to affirm that his doors are still open, and parts are still available... and I have no affiliation with his company).

2. Here is the Una Goose toll free number (800) 992-5099

3. Here is the Una-Goose email address to send any photos of your set up to confirm what vintage Una-Goose ya got: [email protected]

4. Here is the Una-Goose website: Gooseneck Trailer Hitch by Una-Goose

To TDS Mods...
Shouldn't this topic be moved to the Towing Forum? Wasn't it already in the towing forum earlier?

Last edited by NYB; 01-05-2016 at 08:22 PM.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYB View Post
To TDS Mods...
Shouldn't this topic be moved to the Towing Forum? Wasn't it already in the towing forum earlier?

Yes, this thread was at one time in the Towing & Hauling forum. else I probably wouldn't have seen it. Apparently, another moderator thought it better fit in the Technical Questions forum.

As a general rule, TDS moderators don't step on each other's toes. When I analyze this thread, I can see where it could logically be in either forum. So I won't raise a fuss with the mod that moved it. But it's okay if you or another member raises a fuss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in