Crew cab sleeper advice. Will it pass DOT? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Crew cab sleeper advice. Will it pass DOT?

So I've read a bunch of old post on crew cab sleepers. Basically, they are all a bunch of BS in one way or another, they don't meet DOT Regulations. I own a Dodge Mega Cab. Starting in December, there will be 2 of us driving around the clock. We want to sleep in the back, but are afraid of DOT Ticketing us. What are your thoughts of GMC/Chevy C4500. If the seat is folded down, will it pass DOT Regulations. It does have a seatbelt restraint built in while the bed is down. What do you think?
DOT Regulation Website 393.76

Last edited by jcorey2293; 10-25-2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Pictures didnt work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
(c) Exit from the berth. (1) Except (for trucks more than 50 years old), there must be a direct and ready means of exit from a sleeper berth into the driver's seat or compartment.
Does having to crawl over the center console to get into the passenger’s seat meet that requirement? I wouldn’t think so, but maybe if the center console was removed?
Quote:
Length measured on centerline of longitudinal axis (inches) = at least 75”.
That’s probably the “gotcha”. The sleepers on class 8 trucks are that wide, but the back seat is probably not that wide on class 4 or 5 trucks.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Does having to crawl over the center console to get into the passenger’s seat meet that requirement? I wouldn’t think so, but maybe if the center console was removed?

That’s probably the “gotcha”. The sleepers on class 8 trucks are that wide, but the back seat is probably not that wide on class 4 or 5 trucks.
Going to check on dimensions today. I know that was one thing in my mind. I know these trucks are wider than my megacab in the inside, but how much I do not know. But if these guys are adding just a window insert to meet the 75", I think this truck is wide enough.

Does the 75" have to be the actual mattress or just around the mattress?

Well I'm going to get rid of the center console. Plus I'm going to upgrade to the front passenger RV seat that slides completely forward, swivels 360, and can fold forward and move out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, I went a measured it today. 73". So if i get a window insert that makes it more than 75", Does that make DOT happy? I will have about 28" on the height, so i'm good there.

Last edited by RDG; 10-25-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: language
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 10:48 PM

crew cab sleepers have been deemed not legal by a few dot's, but others may not know the difference. Depends on if you like to gamble or not. technically it does not meet the requirements. The medium duty 4500 should meet the requirements as I have seen several drivers use those for that reason, if you just put a mattress back there that meets the size requirement you should be ok, plus i believe you will need curtains up. Best thing to do is check with dot. The ones who really know what is going on can tell you by whatever truck you pick if it is legal or not over the phone.

2002 Crew Cab 7.3 diesel stock
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 AM

FMCSA Regs on Sleeping Berths

I am an RV Transporter and I own a Crew Cab Sleeper.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Part 393.76 controls sleeper berths. here's a link so you can read it yourself:

Each state is required to mnake their state statues conform to the FMCSA regs and they do. The problem comes in with the enforcement of the statues because every state, and in many cases, every officer, makes his own interpretation of the reg or statue. The State of Indiana Commercial Vehicle Enforcement section of the State Police has determined that the crew cab sleeper does not match the reg in that the window insert does not provide the necessary height. That is their only objection (and possible violation) to the CCS.When you use the window insert to assure that you reach the required 75" length of the bunk, then you fail.

But that's Indiana. Iowa has two primary enforcement units for commercial vehicles the first being the State Police and the second is the Iowa DOT commercial vehicle enforcement folks. The State Police say the CCS matches the statue and is acceptable and the Iowa DOT says it does not,
In my state, Illinois, the State Police and the Illinois Commerce Commisiion (they run the scales and enforce the FMCSA portion of the state statue) both say that the CCS is acceptable.

The bottom line is you spin the wheel and take your chances because the human angle is too unperdictable.

So what I do is not log sleeper berth time. I log off duty. If a cop asks me what I was doing during my off duty time I just tell him that I wasn't in, around or on my truck. I don't have to prove myself innocent, he has to prove me guilty. If he doesn't have any evidence that I slept in my truck (and I am not going to him any by admitting that I did) he cannot prove his case.
That isn't going to stop him from taking me out of service and issuing me a ticket but I will make him look like a fool in court and then sue him for false arrest.

This all comes down to money. Just about every state is in desperate need of revenue and any citations that they issue keep the bucks coming in. There is also the problem with cop egos and their need to appear to be productive.

Before anyone fires on me for bad mouthing cops, please note thatI have retired three times. One of those jobs was as a police chief after 20 years service.

BudMan
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan5 View Post
But that's Indiana. Iowa has two primary enforcement units for commercial vehicles the first being the State Police and the second is the Iowa DOT commercial vehicle enforcement folks. The State Police say the CCS matches the statue and is acceptable and the Iowa DOT says it does not,
In my state, Illinois, the State Police and the Illinois Commerce Commisiion (they run the scales and enforce the FMCSA portion of the state statue) both say that the CCS is acceptable.
Are you saying that as you go through the scales, traveling through different states, you are getting different answers. Or its just what state you are having your truck licensed, like I read from a guy on another post, he went down to his DOT inspection office is his own state and carries an inspection paper that says it passed. But would all states accept that paper from his own state?

Quote:
So what I do is not log sleeper berth time. I log off duty. If a cop asks me what I was doing during my off duty time I just tell him that I wasn't in, around or on my truck. I don't have to prove myself innocent, he has to prove me guilty. If he doesn't have any evidence that I slept in my truck (and I am not going to him any by admitting that I did) he cannot prove his case.
That can't work for use in our case because there is 2 drivers. One driving 12 hours, then the other driving for 12 hours, then the first driver finishes the route. Most trips are done in about 34 hours. But when they look at your log book and see that you logged off, but somehow you traveled 500 miles. They are going to know that you were in the "non approved sleeper".

I just dont want a huge sleeper on the back of these trucks. First they stick out a bunch and grab the wind. Second, they're ugly. Third, even more weight I have to carry, because I now will have a longer wheelbase.

So, instead of paying these manufacturing companies a fortune. Can I draw one out that I think will work, and have one welded up by a local welder. Do I need to have it DOT inspected. Will I have trouble going across all 48 states?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 PM

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via AIM to BlueMuleTrucking
I honestly wouldn't go with the GM twins, I prefer the Freightliner Sportchassis.

Evan-
2003 Ford F-350 Crew Cab L/B/Dually XLT FX4 7.3L/Auto- Gooseneck Hitch Fifth Wheel Rails, Firestone Air Bags/ Toolbox
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMuleTrucking View Post
I honestly wouldn't go with the GM twins, I prefer the Freightliner Sportchassis.
Without putting a sleeper on it, is the backseat 75" wide and big enough to pass DOT. I found this picture on the internet but doesn't show dimensions.

2008 Freightliner RHA114 Sport Chassis
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 AM

well, if no one has the dimensions with a right away answer, im sure i can get you one today, i have a dealer right down the road. i would agree they are much much much nicer than the chevy's. if you are going to change trucks go with the freighshaker , and then make mods to it if needed (you might not need to) rather than getting the chevy and making the mods.

EARLY 99 F350, CREW CAB, LONG BED. 4X4 7.3L AUTOMATIC. EDGE JUICE W/ ATTITUDE. 4" EXHAUST, NO MUFFLER, 6" TIP, COLD AIR INTAKE, BD: CCV KIT (WON ONLINE, THANK YOU BD). DVD PLAYER, PS2, IN DASH TV, POWER INVERTER, 2-10" INFINITY SUBS IN PORTED BOX. CLASS 5 REESE TOW PACKAGE, FLIP UP GOSENECK HITCH. CB/PA, WITH DUAL TRUCKER WHIPS. TOW MIRRORS, AND CAB LIGHTS, RECON LED TAILGATEBAR W/ REVERSE LIGHT, BUG GUARD AND WINDOW VISORS. 05 GRILL AND HEADLIGHT SWAP, 08 TAILGATE, 285/75 BFG ALL-TERRAINS, SHACKLE LEVELING KIT, AND BILSTIEN SHOCKS. 5% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, AND 50% ON THE WINDSHEILD.

SOON TO COME: 08 TAIL LIGHTS, CLEAR CABLIGHTS, RECON ESCALADE STYLE 3RD BRAKE LIGHT, STROBE LIGHTS, PROJECTOR BACKUP LIGHTS, 33X12.50 BFG ALL TERRAINS ON BLACK DICK CEPEK 17" RIMS, EDGE EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER (STACKED), RAPTOR HIGH PERFORMANCE FUEL PUMP, HIGH PERFORMANCE HPOP, POSSIBLY 10" STACKS!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
SportChassis - RHA114 - Overview
The SportChassis RHA114 is a finished truck with a tow body, and it lists for about $130,000 to $140,000 for the typical options.

It begins with the Freightliner M2 chassis with CrewCab body, with Mercedes, Cummins, and Cat engines available, along with almost every transmission you ever heard of. Even the autoshift manual trannies are available.
M2 106 Medium Duty Truck Features and Benefits ? Freightliner Trucks

Front axles are available with anywhere from 6,000 to 20,000 pounds rating. And drive axles are available with anywhere from 10,000 to 30,000 pounds rating. So depending on which axles and powertrain you choose, you can build an M2 106 that's anything from a class 4 to a class 7 truck = equivalent to the F-450 through the F-750.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWINSMOKE99STROKE View Post
well, if no one has the dimensions with a right away answer, im sure i can get you one today, i have a dealer right down the road. i would agree they are much much much nicer than the chevy's. if you are going to change trucks go with the freighshaker , and then make mods to it if needed (you might not need to) rather than getting the chevy and making the mods.
I appreciate that. The closest dealer is about 120 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The SportChassis RHA114 is a finished truck with a tow body, and it lists for about $130,000 to $140,000 for the typical options.
I've looked them up. You can get them used from these people that bought them to just pull their RV. Right around 60K to 120K miles on them, from prices ranging from $50k to upwards $90k. I will be calling a dealer today to find out about warranty for new.

The only thing that I like about the GM twins or the Fords, was the warranty. Straight from the website it states that, 2 year unlimited basic warranty. But if you choose the right engine and transmission, they too will have the unlimited mileage warranty. So the goal was to have good unlimited warranty and trade it in every 2 years. It would be a complete tax write off. I might loose 30 to $40k in trade but, consider what repairs cost and what I'm getting in tax incentives.

Freightliner doesn't show their warranty, so I will find out by the dealer today.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 PM

Every state is different

They all interpret the rules differently
Arizona is currently writing tickets if you have a lap top mounted on a stand visable to the fdriver as a violation.

Doesn't matter if the lap top is turned on, just that it could maybe possible be used to watch a movie while you're driving so you get a ticket.

I hope you're not planning on driving 12 hours because the limit is 11.

BudMab
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM

I think you might also consider an FL 50:

This one is sold but there are a lot out there. I wish I had bought one to pull trailers with instaed of my Ford:

Toters and Trucks : 1999 Freightliner Fl50

BudMan
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
They all interpret the rules differently
Arizona is currently writing tickets if you have a lap top mounted on a stand visable to the fdriver as a violation.

Doesn't matter if the lap top is turned on, just that it could maybe possible be used to watch a movie while you're driving so you get a ticket.

I hope you're not planning on driving 12 hours because the limit is 11.

BudMab
Ya thats why I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I jump into things. I just don't want to buy a vehicle and then think everything will be ok..then boom, I'm harassed at every scale about sleeping arrangements. 11 hours is what I meant, It was just easy splitting a day. Since you probably wont even get that by the time you fill up, food, bathroom stops, etc. Plus I have a dog that has to use the restroom every 3 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in