Lincoln '225 welder requirement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LMJD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lincoln '225 welder requirement

I'm in the dark when it comes to home AC wiring and circuitry but through the years there's members here who've done a lot of it and unlike me, pretty sharp on it. My question is I've got one of the old faithful Lincoln 220V "buzz boxes" and I was wondering about running it off my 120V/220V portable generator using the 220V plug. On the Lincoln site under specs, it shows input current 50A. So it would take 50 Amps to run it is my take, right? If so, my generator doesn't put out nearly enough juice.
https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...incolnElectric)

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:11 PM

My Photos: (0)
How many watts is your gen? Best to get welder/gen combo.

early 99 f250 auto 190000 miles ts6 chip, riffraff frx, 6637 filter with riffraff cover edpv delete 4in exhaust tru- cool max,dedc tow mirrors with lights/heat,glow shift boost,egt,trans, fuel, gauges. hopkins agility brake control,pyle backup camera,firestone air bags,marinco plug, 265/75r 16 cooper discoverer a/t3 tires sinister diesel coolant filter,Bilstein 5100 stancor gpr.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:44 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

The combination units are great, but arenít cheap. The 50 amp spec is for minimum breaker size. The unit has a 225 amp max output at 25 volts. Thatís 5,625 watts. With 220 input, that would be a 25.5 amp draw. Thatís assuming 100% efficiency, which isnít reality, but you could safely assume 30 amps would cover it. Again, thats cranked up to max. I rarely run my stick welder that hot. That welder only has a 20% duty cycle at that current anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:09 AM

another thing you have to keep in mind is startup amps which is a lot more then run. I have a Honda 7000 inverter gen. and a Lincoln 135 wire welder, I have to use the 30 amp plug to run it even though on a land line it would run just fine on a 20 amp outlet. The combo units are the best , but again cost way more.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought. I was hoping for a shortcut to get my Lincoln running again. My generator shows only 14.6 amps on the 220V plug. I do so very little welding nowadays I can't really justify a welder/gen set. I DID buy a little 110V wire feed some years back and it does good on material up to 3/16.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:07 AM

If you need to do any stick, a couple companies have some 110v units out that are doing some crazy things.
Even the harbor freight units are holding up pretty well. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:17 AM

I had 2 harbor freight unit that worked of of 110v that work good that I used to fix Gates and tractors in the field. To bad I sold them when I got a nice 220v Lincoln for the shop that can do it all. I am still looking for a nice generator with a 50amp breaker that will run it.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
If you need to do any stick, a couple companies have some 110v units out that are doing some crazy things.
Even the harbor freight units are holding up pretty well. Lol
Being 110V aren't you limited to 1/8 or 3/16 material like my wire feed? At my previous house my big fuse box was mounted to the power pole at the corner of the house and I just ran the correct cable out of the box a couple feet down and mounted a weather proof plug for the Lincoln buzz box right on the pole (without electrocuting myself ) Present house the panel is on one end and garage with 110V is on the other but no 220V.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texkenusmc View Post
I had 2 harbor freight unit that worked of of 110v that work good that I used to fix Gates and tractors in the field. To bad I sold them when I got a nice 220v Lincoln for the shop that can do it all. I am still looking for a nice generator with a 50amp breaker that will run it.
I used to get sent out to work in one of our other shops and they had the slickest trailer mounted welder I ever saw. Believe it or not, it was a Ford flathead V8 that powered the big welder and that baby just purred.
MrTommy likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
My generator shows only 14.6 amps on the 220V plug.
Then you can use the welder on that generator as long as you keep the amps turned DOWN (weld only thin material). If you find you've tripped the generator's breaker, you went too high - let the breaker cool, reset it, turn the welder down & try again. You can't hurt anything, so give it a try (or 3).

Read the specs on the welder's ID plate for peak/max current (Amps) draw at 220VAC - that's what it needs if you're burning the thickest electrode/wire on the thickest plate that the welder is rated for. For all other settings, the welder draws LESS current - the lower you set it, the less it needs. At some point, you should find what the generator can supply to that welder.

Small linkable inverter/generators are becoming affordable. These were cheaper a few weeks ago, so they might go back down soon:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/p...d=prod22210715

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in