Questions on metal roofing. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions on metal roofing.

Planning to put a metal roof over old shingles. There seems to be only two brands in my area Metal Sales and Omni Series of Everlast Roofing. Price is very close to being the same. Is 29ga the same as .015 . Both say they are 29ga. but in the Everlast booklet they also mention " .015 min. hard high tensile steel with 95,000psi min yield.
Any suggestions about the job would be appreciated.Never did this before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 10:08 PM

My Photos: (1)
Re: Questions on metal roofing.

Where are ya located? We just built a new house and used 26ga 5 V crip aluma-gal. Beautiful roof and will outlast asphalt shingles by at least twice as long. We also got a slight reduction in homeowners insurance because of the reduced fire damage threat.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:23 PM

No offfense, but do yourself a favor and strip the old roof before putting on a metal roof.

1996 F250 4x4 ext. cab, long bed 5 spd. 3.55ls, Tymar Intake, Tymar 4" downpipe and 4" exhaust. AIC, B&W turnoverball, EBPV brake, tranny temp gauge, boost gauge, and egt gauge. 2.5" axle drop bracket, F350 springs up front, and F350 rear axle blocks. 260k miles. RETIRED.

NEW (to me) 2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab shortbed, SRW, Lariat, auto, V10. 5600 lbs front end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:37 PM

Deffinately. Strip it down to the plywood, lay down some fresh 30# felt, then the metal.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

I was told the big advantage of going to a metal roof was to avoid the work and cost of takeing off the old roof. The person that is helping and most familiar with this said we would lay furring strips to old roof and screw to that. What is the problem of going this way. The building is a well insulated garage that is 60X40 and 17 ft. to inside ceiling that is finished.Sofits are vented.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 AM

well if their not the architectural type shingle that will prob be alright with the furing strips. For a garage that will be just fine. Metal reflects more sunlight too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offfense, but do yourself a favor and strip the old roof before putting on a metal roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto and dry the roof in with peal and stick that is RATED for high temps under metal. Your roof will never leak.

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Planning to put a metal roof over old shingles. There seems to be only two brands in my area Metal Sales and Omni Series of Everlast Roofing. Price is very close to being the same. Is 29ga the same as .015 . Both say they are 29ga. but in the Everlast booklet they also mention " .015 min. hard high tensile steel with 95,000psi min yield.
Any suggestions about the job would be appreciated.Never did this before

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually Steel is measured in gauge and aluminum is measured in thousands. For locations near salt water I always design .040 or greater aluminum but inland we use .26 gauge GALVALUME. In gauges the bigger the number the thinner the metal.....29 gauge is very thin. 26 is our minimum.

Too much junk/toys to mention, ever changing due to too getting bored too quickly. I need a 10 step program!
Want to call? I'm in the book. Want to argue....First explain the square root of negative one....lol
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 05:34 AM

29 gauge metal can range from .0142 to .015 and be classified as the same. I can feel a difference in sheets of 29 gauge metal. The outer ribs will bend a lot easier by hand and will crease easily if your not careful on the thinner sheets.

It is okay to put the metal over the shingles. I would lay a 3/4" insulation of your choice down first. 29 gauge is plenty thick for a house roof, but roof editor is correct in 26 gauge being better. 26 gauge is the standard for most commercial applications. I also just noted his location and 26 gauge is almost always used in florida.

There is also painted gavalnized and painted galvalume. The later is the one you want to use as it is far superior in terms of longevity.

2010 F250 Lariat CC FX4
07 GT500
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 AM

Is there only one layer of shingles. The only reason I would think about removing shingles is weight.

Andy
Early 99 5-98, F350 extended cab, DRW LB 245,000 miles and counting, Hood insulation delete (Soaked with fuel), Hutch mod, Harpoon mod. Otherwise, pure stock (for now)

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 AM

Timely thread, I'm also considering a do-it-yourself roof on my house. I've done a few sheds, barns and shops with 26 ga. galvalume on trusses.

But on the house I was considering just laying down 3/4 or 1" 4x8 sheets of insulation to help keep the upstairs a bit cooler, and screwing metal down.

All with out stripping the old shingles.

Good, just OK, or should I strip the old shingles, then insulation, and lathing and metal?

1995 3500 Cummins, 4x4, 5spd, 4.10, pac brake, TST #5, 3k gsk, 215 injectors, BHAF, 50lb. boost, egt ga., TAG, 35/40, ported 12cm2 ex. timing 16.5
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 01:47 AM

3/4" foam sheets would help out big time. I would definitely get rid of the old shingles. Most likely you will need to lay down new felt.

When me and my dad did the roof on our huntin cabin in GA. we just used 2" foam in between the 2x4 stringers. worked out great.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Talk about timely posts.

I live in Vermont, and my house has cedar shake shingles. When I put the new "steel" roof on next year, should I remove the shingles or just apply the metal over them.

And is there any other preparations (besides Prep. H) I should do before putting on the new roof?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marc

2015 F 250 Supercab 4x4 Lariat long bed. Whelen M7's in grille, Whelen Inner Edge, Whelen custom interior rear lightbar/traffic advisor, Whelen Cencom Saphire controller, and other hidden emergency lighting, UWS cross box and custom bed cover
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Not the voice of experience here on house roofs, but as mentioned above, I've done several metal barn type roofs.

You do need a flat surface for the metal, at a minimum I'd want to remove the shakes as required to fasten down lathing (2x4) so the metal would clear the shakes.

Good luck, RJR

1995 3500 Cummins, 4x4, 5spd, 4.10, pac brake, TST #5, 3k gsk, 215 injectors, BHAF, 50lb. boost, egt ga., TAG, 35/40, ported 12cm2 ex. timing 16.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in