Start Stop Technology - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually, the part probably is the cheapest, but Ford uses VERY expensive packaging. That has to be it because when you take an International part and put it in a Ford box, it mysteriously doubles in price.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM

My Photos: (4)
Just got this yesterday. You can turn it off if you are in the type of traffic that you don't think it works. When you let your foot off of the brake, it starts. If you put your foot back on the brake, it keeps running and you get an indicator light that shows it as disabled for that start. Everything keeps running, including AC and it was blowing cold air. In my quick test in stop and go traffic, it worked perfect. If you are going to be stopped for a long time (grid-lock) and you need AC or are worried about the battery, let off the brake and reapply. Nothing to fear yet.

2000 F350 Lariat, Black with Tan Interior
2004 F350 Lariat, White with Gray Interior
2007 F350 Lariat, Red with Black Interior
2014 F450 DRW Lariat, Ruby Red with Black Interior
2017 F350 DRW Lariat, Graphite with Black Interior
2019 F450 DRW Lariat, Graphite with Black Interior
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 12:41 PM

wonder what the statistics are...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
So one would think that the OEM one should be the cheapest, their certification costs would have been completely amortized...
Good theory, but I don't think it works that way. The OE (assembly-line) parts are certainly certified. But I don't think Ford allows their suppliers (OEMs) to use the designs & certifications that Ford paid for to churn out replacement parts free - I assume the mfr. still has to either license the design from Ford and share those profits, or come up with a new design (aftermarket) that's a direct-fit, and have that certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Coincidentally after starting this thread, here is a post I just read today from another source regarding the start stop system:

"A 2014 Malibu was brought in today with a complaint that the alternator needed to be programmed. The S.W. told me that the customer had the alternator replaced by an aftermarket shop for a low charge rate. The new alternator did not fix the problem and they told him to take it to the dealer as G.M. does not give aftermarket shops the ability to program the new alternator. I wonder where he got that idea....must be the secret codes I keep hearing that dealer techs only have access to :0

I asked the S.W. to contact the customer and find out what his actual complaint was. It seems that if he doesn't use the vehicle for a week or so, it cranks slowly and the other shop told him the charge rate was low due to a bad alternator. This is a dual battery start/stop system. it seems many people are confused as to how it operates....let's take a look at it.

All pictures are with the engine idling. First, let's check the voltage at the battery. Ground lead is connected to the negative battery cable.

[2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] Well, I see his problem. This is with no loads on the system. We need to look a little farther before condemning any components. Let's check charging voltage from the alternator output side...

[2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] So the alternator is charging 13.86 volts but the battery is only getting 12.39 volts. Where did the voltage go? First, check voltage drop between the positive terminal and the Dual Battery Control Module. (DBCM)

[2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] Looks OK there. Now test between the positive battery terminal and the DBCM input terminal.

[2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] There it is. Not an uncommon problem. There is almost a 1.5 volt drop across the DBCM contacts. Let's replace the DBCM and check battery charging voltage again...

[2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS, BATT/Charging/Starting Photo] That's more like it. Our battery should stay charged now. Don't forget to perform a battery sensor relearn before releasing the vehicle. Also, start/stop may not function until the vehicle sits for at least 3 hours unmolested."

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Actually, the part probably is the cheapest, but Ford uses VERY expensive packaging. That has to be it because when you take an International part and put it in a Ford box, it mysteriously doubles in price.
Absolutely, some years ago I bought the heater that goes in the fuel filter head, figured it was a "Ford only" part. Cost something like $120. Opened the blue/white FoMoCo box, the heater was in a sealed IH plastic wrapper with the IH part number on it. Later I phoned the nearest IH truck dealer for availability and price, $60.

As far as the start/stop feature, the joke of fuel savings would be eaten up by going through starters at an ungodly rate. And as far as starter access, it the gas engines are anything like the new Ford diesels, you have to remove the cab to do anything much more than checking the oil. I first thought the cab removal was a phony rumor, turns out it's true.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in