Underseat Lockbox - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Other Technical Questions Discussion of other technical topics. Please see the sticky post at the top of the thread listing for specific rules. The rules for this forum are more restrictive than they have been in the past.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Underseat Lockbox

I am looking for suggestions on brands or homebuilt lockboxes for inside the cab. Something I can bolt through the floor OR that can be bolted into the seat slide rails under the front seat. It can be a padlock type clasp. I never used to worry about "smash & grabs" but I will be spending more time on the road this year.

It doesn’t have to be very large, just enough for a few valuables.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-04-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:43 PM

I bolted a harbor freight pistol safe under my back seat for my pistol. It has an electric lock and key lock.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texkenusmc View Post
I bolted a harbor freight pistol safe under my back seat for my pistol. It has an electric lock and key lock.
Under the backseat sounds like a good location. I have seen rifle boxes that bolt under the length of the rear seat that would even hold tools and misc.

I looked at some pistol cases today but they are maybe 16-gauge steel and the lids or front panels on each of them could be easily popped open with a large screwdriver for leverage.

We were in Northern CA last year about this time and toured the Fishermans Wharf and took a ferry out to Alcatraz.

Well, anyway, the fine residents of that city decided vehicle break-in arrests unfairly targeted members of an oppressed class...drug addicts and gangs...and so a few years earlier, they decided to quit enforcing that particular law.

I kid you not.

Well we saw 10 vehicle break-ins in two days in only a 3x5 city block area.

I wound up sleeping most of the night in the truck as I got too worried up in the room.

***Here is a news article from the very time we were there:

“Hidden Cameras Reveal Rare View of 'Epidemic' as Car Break-Ins Hit Record High of Nearly 30,000 in San Francisco“

//www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Breaking-Point-475109113.html

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-05-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:59 PM

There are many styles marketed for Jeeps that will fit almost any vehicle with separate chairs. But if you have a bench, you're probably on your own. The common small pistol-style safes come with a lasso cable that's reasonably effective. There are a million knock-off brands of the NanoVault 100:

Probably the lowest price I've seen is $13, and other than the embossed logo, they seem to be identical.

But for my Bronco, I built one specifically to be permanently installed in a hidden location so there's no cable to cut & walk away. The door is 1/4" plate steel, so it can't be bent or pried off, or smashed with a hammer like those thin cases. I chose a cylindrical key because they're harder to pick. And it's designed so that drilling the lock won't open the door.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

I designed it myself & had a local fabrication shop CNC-plasma-cut the parts for me. Then I welded it together & installed it. It's as big as I could fit in the location I chose, so it'll hold a couple of laptops, purses, guns, cell phones, and other small valuables. So you could come up with your own design if you have the time. Or you could shop for something more generic.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
There are many styles marketed for Jeeps that will fit almost any vehicle with separate chairs. But if you have a bench, you're probably on your own. The common small pistol-style safes come with a lasso cable that's reasonably effective. There are a million knock-off brands of the NanoVault 100:

Probably the lowest price I've seen is $13, and other than the embossed logo, they seem to be identical.

But for my Bronco, I built one specifically to be permanently installed in a hidden location so there's no cable to cut & walk away. The door is 1/4" plate steel, so it can't be bent or pried off, or smashed with a hammer like those thin cases. I chose a cylindrical key because they're harder to pick. And it's designed so that drilling the lock won't open the door.

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

I designed it myself & had a local fabrication shop CNC-plasma-cut the parts for me. Then I welded it together & installed it. It's as big as I could fit in the location I chose, so it'll hold a couple of laptops, purses, guns, cell phones, and other small valuables. So you could come up with your own design if you have the time. Or you could shop for something more generic.
@Steve83,

You are always good for a well-researched and thorough answer (with photos).

Yes every lockbox I have googled has come back for a Jeep. What the heck? How many of these boxes does the typical Jeep owner install in his vehicle?

I am inclined to go with your idea and build my own. I don’t really have a place to hide it in the cab except under the rear seat. So I will just need to build it bulletproof.

I like your idea of cylindrical locks.

The videos I have watched on break-ins in urban areas is they occur quickly without really digging around.

But the vehicle break-ins at trailheads to hiking trails can be a bit more thorough and thats what I want to build for.

Thanks for the suggestions.

SOLD:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Other Topics > Other Technical Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in