Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   2017 & up Ordering Information (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f345/)
-   -   Getting '2018 F350 Dually (https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f345/getting-2018-f350-dually-638961/)

bertturtle 01-27-2018 09:04 PM

Getting '2018 F350 Dually

After wearing out a 2005 F350, you know, needing egr bypass, cab mount bushings, axle bumpers and every thing else that can go wrong with a 6.0. I plan to pick up my new 2018 F350SD Dually long bed this week. $$$$ any tips on the new truck are welcome. I still miss my 2002 F250 7.3 that was stolen out of my driveway.:grin2:

davydee 01-28-2018 09:32 AM

Congrats & enjoy your truck!

1. Don't let the new diesel emissions worry you. It's almost a non-event in our 2017. I only notice it's cleaning the diesel particulate filter by the poor fuel mileage or a burning smell when we shut off the truck. We had a 6.4L and that emissions stuff drove me nuts.

2. Don't sweat the DEF - except to ensure you put it into the correct tank. Buy it by the container or fill-up at a truck stop. Whatever works for you. It's corrosive, so wash off any you spill as quickly as possible. I actually wax the area around & below the fuel/DEF door after I fill with DEF.

3. I had a 6.4L. I still run a fuel lubricant to help the high pressure fuel pump. I run Ford's PM-22, but others on here prefer other lubricants. They'll let you know.

4. Again, I had a 6.4L. I drain the water separator once a month. I only drain out enough to see if I've got any water. Haven't seen any water in the our 6.4L or our 6.7L, though we lost a fuel pump on the 6.4L at 103k miles due to what I was told was water condensation over time.

5. Some of us with 2017s have or are experiencing leaking driver's side battery. Check yours from time-to-time just as a precaution. I'm told ours is "venting". We'll get that solved when we're back at our selling dealer in March.

6. On some of the early 2017s, there's a wiring harness laying on the passenger side valve cover of the engine. Our's is slightly raised on off that valve cover, and we're watching it to see if there's evidence of heat damage. Check yours when you get it. Hopefully, they've relocated that harness on the 2018s.

Looking forward to see what others post! David

bertturtle 01-28-2018 07:26 PM

DaveyDee, on #3, I use amsoil outboard 2-stroke oil, 8 oz per 25 gal for diesel, 1 oz per 5 gal for gas in all my motors for top end lube. Has done very well for me. Never heard of Ford PM-22, does it do the same. Once break in is complete, I will go to amsoil in all holes. I don't won't to start an oil war here guys. Only mod I might consider is air intake.

davydee 01-28-2018 10:41 PM

My understanding is that Ford's PM-22a (I left off that "a" earlier) is a cetane booster and now recommended for use if you're in an area running lower quality fuel (per our owner's manual). It - or something similar - was pretty much a requirement to get long life out of the fuel pumps on the 6.4L. I use it just to be "safe". David

wingnut60 01-29-2018 04:28 AM

David,
Hit 18k this week on the '17 450--all is well. Can't believe how good it is to not think something is going to go "kaboom" on a trip.
Still haven't figured out all the buttons/gauges etc.
Also the RSSA is treating us pretty well, fingers crossed...
Have been in OH all this winter working pipeline installs--shame to put the KR thru some of the mud/salt up here, but it does wash off. My idle time is approaching 1/2 of the total engine time...
Joe

davydee 01-30-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut60 (Post 4554761)
David,
Hit 18k this week on the '17 450--all is well. Can't believe how good it is to not think something is going to go "kaboom" on a trip.
Still haven't figured out all the buttons/gauges etc.
Also the RSSA is treating us pretty well, fingers crossed...
Have been in OH all this winter working pipeline installs--shame to put the KR thru some of the mud/salt up here, but it does wash off. My idle time is approaching 1/2 of the total engine time...
Joe

Glad it's going well or you! We're still learning on ours, too. David

Jesus_man 01-30-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davydee (Post 4554289)

6. On some of the early 2017s, there's a wiring harness laying on the passenger side valve cover of the engine. Our's is slightly raised on off that valve cover, and we're watching it to see if there's evidence of heat damage. Check yours when you get it. Hopefully, they've relocated that harness on the 2018s.

do you have any documentation on what to look for on this? I'd like to check mine out.

davydee 01-30-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesus_man (Post 4555937)
do you have any documentation on what to look for on this? I'd like to check mine out.

It's noted in the YouTube Video in this post on the FTE forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17558473

Note that I said it was a wiring harness damaged due to heat from a valve cover. The video notes that it's a PCM Harness damaged due to rubbing on the EGR cooler, not heat related. I apologize for the error! Personally, I've still got a harness that's just barely raised off the passenger side valve cover that concerns me. At 20k miles, no problems so far - but I'm watching. David

Jesus_man 01-31-2018 10:14 AM

Thanks! I have about a 1/4" clear on a cold engine. Bet that gets tighter as the engine bay gets warm. Might have to look into a remedy.

bertturtle 02-01-2018 12:25 AM

There is going to be a big learning curve here. Everything is computerized. Learning new markers for the dual wheels. But I Love it.

HWarren 02-04-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davydee (Post 4555961)
It's noted in the YouTube Video in this post on the FTE forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17558473

https://youtu.be/Ov1U-DYn3uM?t=134

Note that I said it was a wiring harness damaged due to heat from a valve cover. The video notes that it's a PCM Harness damaged due to rubbing on the EGR cooler, not heat related. I apologize for the error! Personally, I've still got a harness that's just barely raised off the passenger side valve cover that concerns me. At 20k miles, no problems so far - but I'm watching. David

I also have a 17. Will check mine and make sure it is raised. That is some great info much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phillippeterson 02-04-2018 04:40 PM

Not trying to stir anything up. I'm just wondering.....

If you need a dually why choose an F350 instead of an F450?

Kraig1957 02-05-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillippeterson (Post 4558778)
Not trying to stir anything up. I'm just wondering.....

If you need a dually why choose an F350 instead of an F450?

I'm not the original poster, but I got an F350 Dually instead of an F450 Dually.

For me the deciding factor for choosing an F350 was a lot less expensive, easier to insure, had the same GVWR of 14000 pounds and had a lower curb weight by almost 1000 pounds.

I don't have a sharper turning radius, so I might take a little longer to parallel park, but that is the problem for the people behind me.>:)

Phillippeterson 02-05-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraig1957 (Post 4559602)
I'm not the original poster, but I got an F350 Dually instead of an F450 Dually.

For me the deciding factor for choosing an F350 was a lot less expensive, easier to insure, had the same GVWR of 14000 pounds and had a lower curb weight by almost 1000 pounds.

I don't have a sharper turning radius, so I might take a little longer to parallel park, but that is the problem for the people behind me.>:)

Saving $3000 makes sense to me now that I look at it. I would still choose the F450 for me, but if you don't want the 4.30 gears, the 19.5 inch wheels and commercial truck tires or the wide-track front axle then the F350 is the way to go.

Kraig1957 02-05-2018 10:41 PM

It is way easier to rotate the tires. I used to have a 2006 F450 Stake bed truck with the 6.0 Navistar engine. It was 16000 GVWR and had 19.5 inch steel wheels. Those were a bear to rotate, and I had to carry a log book, stop at scales, even though it was for personal use only.