The Diesel Stop banner

6.4 radiator problems?

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  lilsumo 
#1 ·
I've got a buddy looking to get into the used diesel market. He has been looking at 6.4's but had heard they eat radiators like every 40k miles. Is that bs, just like all 6.0's have egr issues? He has started looking at the dirtymax and I'm trying to save him from an isuzu motor! help me...

#2 ·
There have been some, especially Job 1 trucks from 08 model year that had alot of failures. Ford came out with a venturi-T to place in-line of the degas bottle. The hoses were then re-routed to pretty much take care of the issue.

There have still been a few failures, mostly those that were not caught right away with the recall.

I have 41K on my truck, orginal radiator.

They never really completely failed or left you stranded, rather just a little moisture at the seams down towards the frame.

So even then, people with the leaks continued to drive and travel/tow till they got around to the fix.

Some of the issues were thermostat related as well. So it was kind of a combo of things from the Job 1 and then a few job 2's.

I would not worry about it at all.

#3 ·
I have one of those Job 1's that Senix is talking about. I got it with 25,000 miles on it, and the radiator crapped pretty much right away. But it was replaced, along with the thermostat, and it has been great since then. Just went over 40,000 miles and have pulled my 5th wheel all over East Texas and up to Branson MO and on to Omaha and back to Houston.

With mine, the dealer said the thermostat caused mine. It was the "old style". I really like this truck. I will admit, I had my doubts, but I'm good now for sure.

#5 ·
Mine is a Job 1 also with 41K on it... No radiator problems at all. Had the Venturi recall done at 30K and have had no evidence of leakage :thumbsup:

#6 ·
right on guys. thanks for the inside scoop, i'll relay the info.
Does anyone know what build dates are considered job 1 or 2? Thanks again...

#8 ·
awesome! thanks senix...

#9 ·
I'm getting tired of this.... Thorough go through 3 years ago checked everything out and the radiator was leaking - bought a new radiator.

Had some health issues and then drove less than 5,000 miles. Then took it on a road trip last month and at 41K found myself in Moab, UT purchasing radiator #3. Whew, no worries now....then I got home, 4,000 miles later, dropped the 5th wheel off at storage and did an oil change....found the radiator leaking again. Radiator number 4 replacing the 3 week old radiator number 3.

2008 6.4 F-250 Super Duty extended cab 4WD I'd really rather not do this every 5,000 or so miles. This **** is getting expensive.

#10 ·
I am radiator 4. 2 fords and now my 2nd mishimoto.

If it wasnt for the lifetime warranty on the mishimoto, this truck would be gone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.