Biodiesel ok to run? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Biodiesel ok to run?

Curious if the Biodiesel is safe to run in my truck. And is it safe to run with the Gryphon programmer? I dont know much about Biodiesel and its octane rating but I just filled up and I think I should have done some research first....
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 PM

The owner's manual for my 2010 says no more than 5% biodiesel.

Big Diesel - 2010 F250 XLT SuperCab Long Bed 4x2.
Little Diesel - '02 VW Jetta TDI Wagon 5 spd manual.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08TONKA View Post
Curious if the Biodiesel is safe to run in my truck. And is it safe to run with the Gryphon programmer? I dont know much about Biodiesel and its octane rating but I just filled up and I think I should have done some research first....
Thanks for any input.
My 2008 F250 6.4L owner's manual says nothing over 5%. It also says programmers are no bueno.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 PSD XLT Super Cab Long Bed (4x2)
2006 Nissan Titan, 6 inch Procomp lift (4x2)
2000 Nissan Frontier, Custom Motorsports 8 inch lift (4x2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM

nothing over 5%, you need to use the severe maint schedule as well. Expect more regens and don't over look changing those fuel filters more often.

Lower MPG's as well to boot.

So stay away from it. cost the same and you use for of it.

No win there.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
40' Stoneridge 5th wheel, coming in at 15.4K.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Ya, noticed my MPG's took a dump! Down almost 2 MPG's. Never again....
Thanks for the info.

2008 Ford F-350 Lariat CC SRW 6.4 Diesel-SOLD

2011 F-150 FX4 CC 5.5' Bed, EcoBoost, BLK/BLK Leather
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM

Can anyone explain why Ford says no more than 5% bio diesel? Iím starting to run into a huge problem here in Southern California - tons of stations are switching to B20, which the sticker states is 5-20% biodiesel. I really need to know why we are limited to 5%. And if that limitation changes when a truck is DPF deleted. Is it just to save the fuel filter? Or will it actually damage the engine - lubrication or injection issue?

2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM

All older diesel engines were B100-compatible. Then standards set by both the Environment Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board, which came into force after 2007, required all diesel vehicles to meet stricter emissions. That meant diesel manufacturers had to reduce emissions of NOX and particulate matter to meet those of gas-powered cars. The way most manufacturers did this created a setback for the use of biofuels.
To get rid of particulate matter, manufacturers came up with what's called a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The DPF is placed in the exhaust system in front of the muffler and looks similar to a catalytic converter used on gasoline engines. It captures particulate matter in its inner core. Periodically, the DPF has to be taken up to high temperatures to burn off the soot it has collected. This is called regeneration. The idea is to inject fuel into the exhaust that has been vaporized, and when the fuel comes into contact with the DPF, it heats up and incinerates the soot trapped in the DPF. Squirting fuel down the exhaust? Gee….. what a great idea.
And here is where the pitfall lies for biodiesel. Most of the engine manufactures decided to inject fuel into the cylinders just after the cylinder fires and the exhaust valve opens. At this point, the fuel vaporizes and moves down the exhaust to the DPF and cleans it. But, Because biodiesel is denser than conventional diesel fuel (it has a longer hydrocarbon chain) and has a higher distillation temperature and boiling point, it does not vaporize as easily. Some of the fuel ends up adhering to the cylinder wall and runs past the rings, diluting engine oil & eventually causing damage to the internals of the engine.
If you are DPF deleted & the regeneration cycle is programed off then running a higher percentage Bio mix shouldn’t be a problem from that stand point.
However on the 2008 to 2010 6.4 powerstrokes , There was also a new Common rail fuel system with pressures up to +- 25000psi. This particular system used a K17 Siemens VDO (also sold as Continental) high pressure pump that has absolutely no tolerance for dirt or water. If Running higher Bio Diesel fuels, an upgraded fuel filtration system should be considered.

2010 F350 KR CCLB, mini max, H&S pyro kit, ARP studs, II 71/59 billet turbos, ported intake, ceramic BD 6.0 exh manifolds, ceramic stainless uppipes, SDP 4" ceramic downpipe, 5" MBRP stainless, sinister egr delete with intake elbow, 3" CAC cold side pipe, BD boots, AFE custom air intake, AirdogII, Mann&Hummel CCV filter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanks TD - that was pretty much what I was looking for. Running a dpf deleted and regen deprogrammed truck on B20 (5-20% bio) should be ok, maybe harder on fuel filters (I do them every 15k). I donít run it every tank. Maybe every third tank Iíll end at a place that only offers bio. With that information - Iím not gonna worry about it.

2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

@TD-5,

That was the best explanation I have ever heard on Biofuels in the newer Powerstrokes. I just learned alot.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in