Elusive P2002 Code - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Elusive P2002 Code

Greetings all,
I finally made my return into the diesel world after 10 years. The rig, a 2008 F250 FX4 Crew, LWB w/ 150K on the clock. Its a huge truck and was not my first choice but due to the mileage and year limitations on financing, its what I ended up with. For all intents and purposes of this post, the truck is assumed to be stock. I don't see any aftermarket pieces on it and I didn't receive any tuner with it.

I have been driving the truck about a week and a half have noticed a few things that make it much different than my 94 IDI Turbo I had. First and foremost, I thought with almost 20 years newer technology, that the fuel mileage would be better. Not so much the case. Going by the "lie-o-meter", as its so passionately referred to here, I am averaging about 10.5MPG unloaded and driving through the city like a grandma. Real world calculating has me around 10MPG. Now, this may be related to some of the other things I am about to say but if not, that is some insanely terrible mileage. My IDI got about 14MPG around town. Just never got better on the interstate.

With that being said, I ran into an issue the other day. The truck went into, what I guess is, regen mode (Cleaning Exhaust Filter). It blew some hefty clouds of blue smoke on take off which freaked me out a little. It did this for a few drive cycles because I was unaware that I should leave it running to complete. Anyhow, shortly after that cycle, the CEL came on with the P2002 code. DPF below threshold. After researching the heck out of it, I bought a more capable scanner, cleared the code, and it almost immediately came back. Cleared again and drove. It is now in the pending codes and will hard set on the next cycle. I parked the truck because 10.5MPG @ 3.88/gallon is a little hard to stomach at the moment.

Everything I read points to aftermarket intakes being the culprit. I do not have an aftermarket intake. I am not sure what kind of filter is in there as I have not looked yet. So to all you diesel gods out there, what is the most likely issue that causes this code on a STOCK truck? I am pricing a DPF delete system, but I am not sure if this will solve the problem with the mileage too. Is it really that bad?

Thanks

2008 F250SD, Crew Cab, LWB
- 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
- FX4 Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 AM

Stock trucks come with the motocraft filter made by Donaldson. If your box is still factory then check the airfilter. If that is ok and factory then I am going say it maybe time for a new DPF...or it maybe a sensor issue for the DPF..but that is usually a different code.

Did you get any warranty with this truck?

True this truck is not a city truck. But on the hwy or towing you will appriecate it.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
40' Stoneridge 5th wheel, coming in at 15.4K.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

No I did not get a warranty with the truck. It was sold as is. I should have done a little more homework on it but by the time it became apparent that this was the truck I was actually going to have to buy, I didn't have a lot of time to comb through it.

I will check the airbox when I get a chance to get up under the hood. So the mileage I see on the dash is what the truck should get in town? Ughh... I bought this for better mileage than my gas equivalent. The one time I towed with it, I was pulling a 6K box trailer and the mileage was about the same, 10.5 to 11. If this ends up being the case, I may just sell it and go back to a gasser.

Anything else I can look for? Does the DPF issue cause throttle lag?

- 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
- FX4 Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM

My Photos: (4)
this might help.

yeah, mpg's aren't the best in these rigs. Without a regen, I get 14-ish in mixed driving when empty, and that's driving like great-gramps. I top out at 17.5~18 on straight freeway going 65mph lightly loaded.

Are the tail pipes clean of soot?

P2002 - Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the efficiency of the diesel particulate filter for a concern. The efficiency of the filter is determined by the amount of restriction in the filter for a certain exhaust flow rate. The diesel particulate filter is preconditioned for 5,000 km (3,107 miles) before the PCM begins to monitor the level of restriction. The test fails when the measured level of restriction is less than the expected level calculated by the PCM. Possible Causes:
  • Dirty air cleaner element
  • Recent manual or thorough diesel particulate filter regeneration
  • Aftermarket accessories and performance modifications
  • Modified tailpipe
  • Exhaust leaks before or near the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor
  • Leaks in the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor connecting hose
  • Damaged diesel particulate filter
Diagnostic Aids: Check for leaks in the exhaust system. Check for aftermarket exhaust accessories and performance modifications that decrease the exhaust restriction. If a new diesel particulate filter was recently installed, verify the diesel particulate filter parameter reset procedure was carried out.

'05 F150 5.4L FX4 SCrew
'10 F350 6.4L Lariat FX4 CC SRW LWB

Last edited by aquaman350; 12-20-2012 at 08:16 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM

My Photos: (1)
Somewhere I read that around 125-150k that its about time for a new DPF acording to Ford. Thats around 1800.00 from them to replace.
I would remove the DPF and pressure wash it or high pressure air. I heard good success to remove build up. Some claim their truck ran much better after...might be worth a try before forking out lots of $$..plan B might be to find someones take off for a few hundred
Good luck
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

AquaMan and Ding, Thank you for the responses! I will take a look at the exhaust system and air cleaner closely this weekend while I am doing other maintenance on the truck. Its amazing how much trouble this part causes just to clean up the soot coming out the pipes. My tailpipes are rather clean.

Just as a test, I ran to work using a little bit of interstate instead of side streets as the traffic wasn't bad. In my 15min drive, I averaged about 16MPG on the dash. I reset it before leaving the house. Coworkers and I just went to lunch and when I left the parking lot it said 16.0MPG. On about a 10 mile trip of stop and go traffic, it now reads 13.3MPG. I am actually amazed at how crappy the fuel economy is on these.

- 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
- FX4 Package
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM

my truck is lifted and Im at 10-11mpg empty
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Well a little update. The code has not come back interestingly enough. It was in the pending codes but never hard set again. I found out why my 4wd wasnt working. The manual hub in the drivers side was destroyed on the inside. I finally got all the pieces out and freed it up. Remarkably, I have been averaging about 12.5MPG instead of 11MPG. Not too bad. Also, I filled her up after running a tank of Seafoam and instantly jumped on the interstate. At 70mph on cruise, the dash readout said 19.2MPG. I wish it would get that in the city too!

- 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
- FX4 Package
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 PM

I would fill the tank and do the math at each fill up....miles driven divided by gallons filled. this will give you the most accurate miles per gallon...the lie-o-meter isn't very accurate. IMO
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding126 View Post
I would fill the tank and do the math at each fill up....miles driven divided by gallons filled. this will give you the most accurate miles per gallon...the lie-o-meter isn't very accurate. IMO
I have an app on my phone that I use to calculate that. I do notice a discrepancy between the app and the lie-o-meter for sure. The difficult part is making sure I start with the same amount of diesel every time. It foams up so its hard to top off the tank without sitting there for an hour. I will see what the app says when I fill up again here soon.

- 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
- FX4 Package
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM

Fill tank on auto until nozzle kicks off. Wait 2 minutes. Slowly add 3 more gallons.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM

i just do mine till it stops and that is it. each time.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
i just do mine till it stops and that is it. each time.
Me too but it's good to know for long trips it can handle more!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Another update to this whole thing. Yesterday, the truck went into regen mode again. I drove around quite a bit in stop and go traffic while in regen. Drive to work this morning about 10 miles, still in regen mode. Leave for lunch and go about 12-15 miles across town, still in regen. Ride back... still. Leave work to go home... STILL IN REGEN. How the hell do you get this regen mode to finish? I cant just drive extra miles hoping it will quit. It stinks to high heaven, it smokes like a freight train during the process and my mileage is even more horrible than normal. The lie o meter dropped from 14.0mpg to 12.5mpg from yesterday to today. I filled up with diesel today and used my app. 12.5mpg on the dash, 10.5mpg on the app. I am going to invest in a DPF delete kit when I can, but is there a way to get this regen mode to quit or hurry up and finish? Ohhh... and the CE light came back today. P2002. Checked the system status, everything is ok.

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by a programmed process that MAKES the CE light come on?

- 6.4L Twin Turbo Diesel
- FX4 Package
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM

See post #2...probably need a new dpf.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in