Intermittent Cruise Control Function - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same problem. Cruise control Intermittently will not work. Lately it will not work at all. As most of my retirement money goes to truck payments and repairs, I cant just take it to the dealer. I have searched a lot of posts, and I assume all are valid replies. From connectors not making good connection in the brake related circuits, to the clockspring, to the brake pressure switch. One dealer did read the codes for me, while buying tires, and that pointed to the brake pressure switch. I am going to replace it this week hopefully. Not sure this is appropriate, but I want to add that my 08 F250 Super Duty diesel, is plagued with issues. First, the electronic throttle failed on me after midnight moving a load of frozen beef from West Virginia to North Carolina. Had it towed, and the dealer found that a harness had rubbed against the driveshaft, and exposed and shorted the wires. I could not see how it was possible, but there ya go. Then the remote mirror switch failed, and I just replaced it for the second time. Then the popular radiator failure, just after warranty expires to the tune of $1700. I had one injector fail and replaced under warranty. And the water seperator unit failed and was replaced, and there has been no water discharged from it during monthly checks, in over a year. Little concerned there. The first oil change revealed a loose bolt in the oil pan, which led to a cab off, to remove the oil pan, only to be told it must have been a spare bolt. No sign of where one was missing. Take all of that, and the delicacy of the exhaust cooler and egr system, I am beginning to miss the 2000 7.3 which had 231K miles with no issues. The 08 is a beautiful truck, Ford did a great job with getting so much from a smaller engine, and the way the computer works to manage the tranny and engine while towing up and down mountains, is outstanding. But I have to wonder if it is going to be worth all the expense and dealing with all the issues. As far as having so many electrical related issues, has this become common with Ford? Comparing that to my 2002 Honda with nearly 300K miles, and absolutely no issues really makes me wonder what is going on with Ford truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Not that many people have electical issues. Overall the truck and motor have been pretty darn good considering the EPA mess that was mandated.

EGR coolers are actually much better than previous ones.

Radiators are the weak point but most of that ha calmed down overall with the strict maintance of the cooling system.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
40' Stoneridge 5th wheel, coming in at 15.4K.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM

i bypassed my switch and i still have problems 99 f350 7.3 6spd. i just tied the two wires together between the fuses on the replacement harness i still have the occasional problem but it works better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Cruise control

Had the same problem with my 2010 F250. Dealer fixed it under warranty. Was the pressure switch. In the beginning the CC would not work infrequently. Got progressiveky worse. By the time I took it in the CC wouldn't work at all. The service writer said that the problem may effect the brake controller. I didn't notice that and I towed several time wtih it not working.

John G
Morro Bay, CA
2010 F250, CC, FX4, Longbed, Lariat
2008 Montana 3485SA
1996 HD Heritage Softail FLSTC

Those of us who ride know exactly why dogs stick their heads out the window.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 PM

My check engine light came on a week or so ago and the code said it was the exhaust temperature sensor bank 1 sensor 3. Soon after the check engine light came on my cruise stoppped working. Could the exhaust temperature sensor problem have any affect on my cruise?
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 PM

When you get some engine trouble codes the truck's computer will disable the cruise control. Most likely your problem if the cruise control stop working at the same time. For sure the cruise won't work if the truck goes into "Limp Home Mode or reduce power mode.

Last edited by MPD56; 08-04-2013 at 05:59 PM.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyp View Post
My check engine light came on a week or so ago and the code said it was the exhaust temperature sensor bank 1 sensor 3. Soon after the check engine light came on my cruise stoppped working. Could the exhaust temperature sensor problem have any affect on my cruise?
Read my thread "P2033 code" for solution. Easy 15 min fix for EGT sensor.

No, they are not related. The cruise control is a very well known problem and easy fix. Just search this forum. Took me maybe 10 mins.

-FB
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 AM

part #

Anyone have the part # I asked the dealer here wheni was in there getting new washer nozzles and he said I had to buy the whole master cylinder!!!
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 AM

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Pm tousely ford, one of the site sponsor about what you need. They give good prices and won't try to sell the whole item when all you need is a piece.

08F250 CC 6.4 PSD
Banks 6 gun/ram air
40' Stoneridge 5th wheel, coming in at 15.4K.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info. This is my first ford and it seems like every day something else is going bad. Ugh.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiak View Post
This part doesnt look to be for a 2008-2010 F250 is this the right part or is there an updated one?? My truck has this issue and its starting to drive me nuts!
Thanks for the help
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 07:51 AM

Here is a list of applications. Motorcraft SW-6350 | Frugal Mechanic
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiak View Post
Here is a list of applications. Motorcraft SW-6350 | Frugal Mechanic
Ford Parts says the Number is SW-6349 is this the same part just with the wires ? Really need to get this fixed not have cruise for long freeway rides sucks really bad
Thanks again
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 AM

I had this happen on my job 1 08 as well. Replaced brake pressure switch and still had problems. I traced my issue to the harness under the steering wheel. There is a connector that is under the plastic cover directly under the wheel on the column, that takes all the signals from the wheel controls. One of the connections was loose, i.e. i could jiggle it while driving and get it to turn on and off. I just played around with it until is was consistently working, and then secured it the best i could. This worked for me and was a fairly easy fix. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in