The Diesel Stop banner

P2263 and no power at all

6K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  TDIDog 
#1 ·
When I say no power, I mean that sitting in a paved driveway, it doesn't have enough power to move.

2008, 143,000 miles, DPF delete, Electron GearBox tune? (Don't know, it's not my truck)

Truck had sat for a few days when I showed up. It started right up and idled fine for maybe 3-5 seconds, then surging, erratic idle, no throttle response, zero boost. Engine will eventually start to idle smooth and it may rev all the way up to 1200 RPM, then it starts to surge again. Copious amount of grey-fuel smelling smoke. (Ironically, the guy across the road has an "environmentally safe" mosquito fogging service.) Apparently it had intermittent low power issues, but finally it got to this point.

I pulled the intake tube off of the small (High pressure?) turbo and with the engine at idle, the impeller was barely turning. I balled up and I could stop it with my finger. It turns smoothly and has no appreciable play, IE, it's not flopping around.

Thought I would pull the EGR valve to see if it was plugged, blocking air into the engine... Then I looked up how to do it and see that it usually gets seized and requires a puller. OK, I'll look elsewhere.

Throttle plate is open.

Turbo actuator moves freely with the engine off and moves correctly when started.

Since the small turbo barely moves, my thought is failed big turbo, mostly blocking the air. What is the easiest way to check this? Do I pull the U-shaped pipe with the fuel cooler on it?

I cleared the code and it didn't come back, but I'm not convinced that it would under these conditions.

Anything else easy to look for?

Thanks for any advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well it's a 6.4, probably chucked a couple pistons.
Turbo not hardly spinning is a big issue...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
When it idles, it idles smooth, so I'm leaning away from pistons or valvetrain issues, or am I missing something?

#4 ·
Start with the Turbo and go from there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
@;

As I asked in my original post, what is the best way to go about this?

#6 ·
So it wasn't too bad getting that intake U-pipe off. But the big turbo spins freely. The only other thing I can think of is to drop the downpipe. Maybe the muffler is plugged?

I wasn't able to run it with the U-pipe off since now it won't even run for more than a few seconds. Working alone, by the time I start it and get around the driver's door, it dies. I know it is spinning some because I marked the nut with a paint pen and after starting it, the mark had moved, so it turned some. But it spins smooth with no grinding or anything funky like wheel to housing contact.

I should have dropped the downpipe, but had a lot going on today. On the other hand, last time I had it running, it was blowing a big cloud of smoke, so I'm not sure about a plugged muffler.

Can the EGR valve get so plugged that it won't pass any air?

#7 ·
Still looking for some direction on this.

Could either of the shafts broke and still allow the impellers to turn smoothly?

#8 ·
Was just told that it has been intermittently low on power since last spring. That shuts down the clogged intake.

Can the turbo actuator close the vanes to the point that they won't pass any exhaust gas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.