Spooling/Reving noise from under hood - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spooling/Reving noise from under hood

This has plagued me for many years and I have finally had it.... Mostly during hot weather (90 degree+) and at speeds under 50 mph I can occasionally will hear something spooling or reving up like a jet engine (thats the best way to describe it). When the noise occurs I see no increase in RPM or boost and it throws no codes. I have had it over to my local dealership and they were worthless.... They can troubleshoot without a code. What ever happen to real mechanics!!!! Sorry back on subject..... What else could cause the noise that sound like a jet engine under my hood. My co-work is thinking it may be the fan, which is possible but I'm not sure how to test. And if it's not the fan what else could it be???? I did just pickup a OBD2 data logger and hope to connect it this weekend to see if it will provide me ant insite. Thanks in advance for any suggestion you may have.

Sorry the truck is a 2009 with the 6.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:01 PM

My Photos: (8)
MY 7.3 sounds just like you describe when the fan kicks in. So my guess is that is what it is.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Its the cooling fan increasing in speed. you may also hear the same sound for a short period when you start away first thing in the morning as the PCM performs a self test on the fan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cooling Fan.pdf (229.5 KB, 7 views)

2010 F350 KR CCLB, mini max & more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:11 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Boy that would be way too easy to explain. Whatever happened to real truck owners!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

So, if its the fan clutch making the noise, have you guys replaced the clutch to resolve the noise?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:58 PM

My Photos: (8)
It is not the clutch just normal fan noise. Go to a small airport most of the noise you hear when a plane takes off is that big fan up front not the engine.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:10 PM

My Photos: (1)
The fan clutch is electrically controlled. When the air conditioner, trans, or engine needs it then engine control module controls it for higher speed. Fan noise is good. It means you or the powertrain is getting cooled down better because of that noise. Listen when trucks take off at an intersection. You will often hear the truck go off with low noise and then all of sudden it jet engine noise time. Med and heavy duty trucks often use air controlled fan clutch and they get big time noisey when they kick in and some times it even kicks up a short dust storm

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.

Last edited by jimmy; 08-12-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in