Transmission question(s) ... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2008-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission question(s) ...

I searched the threads on transmission questions but couldn't find the answer. I believe it was answered before and so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I own a 2008 job 1 with tin can external transmission filter.

Can I toss the external filter and update the internal filter from original screen pickup to the newer pleated filter pickup with bypass screen?

I was thinking of removing the external and running new tranny cooler lines directly from tranny to cooler. Then, dropping pan and swapping older style filter for newer style.

Naturally, the followup question would be ... is this change worth the effort? My truck is really a grocery get'r.

Regards, -FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
IMO, i would keep the external filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:39 PM

My Photos: (6)
I'd delete the external filter. To fit the new filter you MUST replace the pan. It will not fit in your current pan.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:52 PM

Garage
Never mind, listen what Mark said

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

I had a new external filter sitting on the shelf, but next time I am not fighting the quick connect fittings. For less than $200 (pan, internal filter, tranny cooler lines) I can switch over to the internal filter. No brainer. And I'd rather drop the pan and clean it out while replacing a filter.

Thanks for the input!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboytx View Post
I had a new external filter sitting on the shelf, but next time I am not fighting the quick connect fittings. For less than $200 (pan, internal filter, tranny cooler lines) I can switch over to the internal filter. No brainer. And I'd rather drop the pan and clean it out while replacing a filter.

Thanks for the input!
I agree those fittings are such a PITA. Only nice thing is that you don't have to drop the pan when you do the filter change. I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm probably going to do one more external filter change and then evaluate where I am after that. Good to know that $200 is all it takes to swap over.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 PM

How do you guys disconnect the 'quick' connectors? Is there a special tool? Other methods? The right words to say to it?

Or...what part numbers would I need to convert to internal filter...pan, filter, lines, etc?

Thanks...

2008 Ford F250 6.4l PSD Lariat Super Cab, Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

You need a 1/2 inch tranny cooler line disconnect tool. Amazon is a good source. The OTC tool works when the fitting cooperates with you. I think I've used them all but probably would use a nice new OTC if I had to. Having said that, I'll never fight with those fittings ever again. Never ever. Here are some tools that would fit:

Assenmacher 8023
Lisle 39660
OTC 6593

Technique: I usually snap on the tool and pull slightly on the cooler line while turning the tool about the cooler line and pushing it in. Well sorta like that.

Part numbers: Just use any Ford parts site to pull up microfiche and look them up. I haven't confirmed these parts yet but this is the list I am working from. When the time comes, I'll visit the parts counter and discuss or just give them a call.

pan = 8C3Z-7A194-B ... $45-$60
filter = 8C3Z-7A098-D FT-180 ... $35
cooler lines = 8C3Z-7R081B ... $82

The above parts should switch you over from external bypass filter to internal filter. I got them by looking up parts for a 2010 6.4L. The internal filter is thicker and so it requires a deeper pan. The tranny cooler lines run from the cooler connections up front all the way back to the tranny, where they screw in. This replaces the existing cooler lines that are made to connect to the external filter you would remove. You could always spend more money by putting a spiffy aftermarket pan on it. You could spend less money by splicing existing lines with tranny hose. As for me, I think I'll just keep it simple and tidy.

Remember to confirm the part numbers.

Last edited by fatboytx; 09-18-2016 at 11:46 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:20 PM

Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Now I just have to decide which way to go.

2008 Ford F250 6.4l PSD Lariat Super Cab, Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in