The Diesel Stop banner

Let's talk F150 powerstroke (deserve a section here?)

11K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  HippoFan 
#1 ·
Anyone get to drive one yet? None on a lot near me. But I love this idea, not necessarily for the diesel in an F-150, but that it just might trickle into the SUV's. I'm a huge diesel proponent, where 75% of my rigs now are diesel. I'd love the option to replace my wife's X5d someday with another diesel SUV. Not sure she'd like the size of the expedition, but that would likely be where the diesel could find its way into?? Explorer would fit our needs a little better, especially if they still offer 3rd row seating.

I'd also like to suggest the Diesel F-150 get a section here.

#2 · (Edited)
From what I know they have only just begun arriving at dealers. I have yet to see one myself though I have completed training. The HP and torque numbers are decent for a V6 and the fuel economy rating shows 30 MPG highway which as I understand is top in it's class as of it's introduction. The 3.0L PSD is a variant of the 3rd generation global Lion V-6. For those interested the digital version of the Coffee Table Book is available at the DTS website. Coffee Table Books - Diesel Technician Society

I also think this engine deserves it's own section!

#14 ·
... I have completed training.
So - what's your opinion - maybe as compared to the 3.2? I'd be a little concerned with the camshafts being belt driven in what is almost assuredly a zero tolerance engine. The HPFP is also timed and driven by a belt that you apparently can't see with the engine in the vehicle? I see there are timing tools that use the Braille method, but that is for changing the pump. Can you change the belt using the Braille method, or do you have to pull the motor?

#3 ·
The one thing I have seen thus far for the MPG rating is, you have to get the 2WD version to get the 30 MPG. And the article states that a 4WD version sacrifices 5MPG. But we all know how EPA estimates can be.

Reactions: ford_doctor
#5 · (Edited)
I dunno Ed, On my website I am the Administrator... the Moderators report to me. Just sayin. :grin2:

The Transit/3.2L PSD got it's own section. This V-6 engine is a totally different animal and it is being shoved into the most popular pick-up truck in the country. I see it as an opportunity to grow your membership which can affect your advertising revenue. Why would this be a difficult decision?

Reactions: jwhunt3
#7 ·
I dunno Ed, On my website I am the Administrator... the Moderators report to me. Just sayin. :grin2:
I'm with Keith. We work for you. But we do appreciate being asked for input.

Anyway, my vote is to add the section for the F150 Diesel V6.
Kevin

#10 ·
Cool thank you! The only thing I'd ask is that you could move this discussion there?

#13 ·
Has no one bought one yet? Its been at the dealers since the first week of July, I expected some kind of review by now.
Almost 3 months on the road and not a single complaint, Ford must have finally built the perfect machine!

#15 ·
I think the issue is that our half-ton brothers aren't usually hanging out here. I haven't heard anything either and been too busy to stop at a dealer. Although I do need some more fuel treatment,so I may try to carve out enough time to check one out.

#16 ·
I drive the DFW area of Texas and F150s abound. I look and pay attention and I've seen one and it had dealer tags making it a demo or loaner. I'm thinking not many are stepping up to pay thousands more for the diesel one when gasoline today is $1.71 and diesel fuel $2.74. A neighbor sells at a CDRJ dealer and he says Ram 1500 with diesel has slowed to a slug pace before they went out of production (no '19 body style 1500 with Ecodiesel yet).

#17 ·
For the price that you pay for a F150 diesel you can have a F250 with the 6.7 in it with increased towing.

The only people that I have seen with the F150 diesel are the hipsters that want to look cool driving a diesel.

#18 ·
My father in law traded in is Ram EcoDiesel in on a 2019 3.0L Powerstroke King Ranch 2WD about 3 months ago. He has since put 8000+ miles on it and still loves it. His only complaint is getting used to the auto stop start.
I went with him to pick up his new boat. A 271 Grady White with dual 300 yamaha, trailer fuel and all is approximately 9000Lb. I was skeptical at how well it would handle but we were both pleasantly surprised. We pulled it from St. Augustine to Jacksonville FL and made some other stops in between at one point crossing the Mathews bridge (steep grade for Florida) never once did it seem the truck strained, it ran through the 10 gears nice and smooth. It even had enough power to pass slower traffic easily on I95 to maintain 75mph. There were no cringe moments when it came to stopping, the trailer had surge brakes only.

He drove it to my house in Augusta GA from Jax and back on one tank of fuel. All the while he averaged 33mpg, he ran 75mph on I-95 & I-16, 60ish on hwy 80 and anywhere from 35-55 in all the little towns and back roads along the way. He sent me the pictures to prove it. To put this in context I usually average 26.5mpg (my wife 25.5mpg) in my 2014 Escape 2.0L when I make the same trip.

I recently got to drive the truck for a week in Jacksonville because my father in law had shoulder surgery and was not allowed to drive himself for a while, thus I chauffeured him over the holidays and played with his truck.
My impressions are;
It has more than enough power to get around town or burn up the highway. However it is not a peppy as its gas cousins (my company truck is a 2018 f150 5.0) but what it does to is smooth as silk. The shifts through the 10 speed transmission are almost unnoticeable and I never found my self wishing it had more umph, i found the transmission usually kept the RPMs close to 1700 and rarely went over 2500. Driving around Jacksonville for the week I averaged 27.2 mpg in the 140+ miles I drove it. I was on and off 95 dozens of times but never on it for more than 4 miles at a time. Driving it where I live out in the country with not nearly as many stop lights and traffic I think it would do a couple miles better than that. I did take the opportunity to play with it, and it will readily squeal the tires withe the diff locked. I put it in sport mode and couldn't really tell much difference besides shifting a little firmer but did not feel like it was really accelerating any better. In Eco mode it obviously accelerated slower but if you dropped your foot in to it such as a passing situation or having to pull out fast in traffic it would pour the power back on only after a slight hesitation. I actually liked the eco mode because i could see it encouraging you to have better driving habits but didn't deny you full power at an instant if you needed it.

All in all it I think Ford did a good job and I cannot really find anything to complain about it. I liked it enough that I hope they offer the 3.0 powerstroke in the Expedition when we get ready to get the wife a new car. If I happen to get a new truck 1st it will be hard to talk me out of the 3.0L.

I have driven every powerstroke model and I think the 6.7 is awesome.
The 6.7 is undoubtedly more powerful than the 3.0 (Duh!) and it feels bigger and heavier. One point of interest is my wife felt more comfortable driving(mostly parking) his truck than my dad's 6.7 or my 7.3. However I would not hesitate to replace my faithful 7.3 with this 3.0 to pull my tractor the 8 or times a year that I do. If I pulled the tractor a couple times a year I would go for the 6.7. But for my purposes, Fuel friendly, comfortable, pull the CC boat regularly and easily and pull the tractor once in a while the 3.0L defiantly fills the bill. My father in law special ordered his through a friend that owns a dealership so that he could get one as soon as possible payed in the ball park of $55k which given new vehicle prices I think is not a bad deal.

Oh yeah - my vote is for a 3.0L Powerstroke section!

Hope this information helps!

Sorry this got long and kind of sounds like a Ford commercial.

#19 ·
I liked it enough that I hope they offer the 3.0 powerstroke in the Expedition when we get ready to get the wife a new car. If I happen to get a new truck 1st it will be hard to talk me out of the 3.0L.
I am with you on this and I would love it even more if they could fit it in the Ranger, explorer, and the new bronco!! 4dr bronco would this 3.0L would be awesome!! Not to mention the Lincoln lineup getting it too!! I fear, tho, that if it trickles into other models, it will likely only be the Expedition/Navigator and I think that may be too big for our needs. We'd be replacing a diesel X5.

Glad you posted. Makes me excited to see where Ford goes with this engine. I wonder if they offer it in low-optioned fleet vehicles. I think if a company that supplies vehicles to their employees could double the fuel mileage of their trucks, it might make it more appealing for companies to buy in lieu of the gasser models. That is, if they could keep the employees from filling it with petrol!

#20 ·
I read an article on line from one of the car mags that was mostly good, but had some negative things to say about towing and clunky trans shifts in stop and go traffic. I came here hoping to find more real world reviews. I'm considering one for my next work vehicle. Hopefully some more people will chime in.

#21 ·
Yeah, I have yet to talk to someone who's actually driven one. And I haven't made the time to check one out in person.

#22 ·
Me too. I haven't had time to go check one out. I did an inventory search at my local dealer and they didn't show any in stock though.

#23 ·
I parked next to one at Princess Auto in Saskatoon on the weekend. I should have waited around because it was gone by the time I left.

#24 ·
After browsing this thread, I got curious and searched the Ford site in various cities, including Dallas, Omaha, LA, Seattle, and found only F150's in crew cab short bed with the V6 Diesel. Absolutely none with an 8' bed, which is what I'd be interested in for carrying a slide-in camper. Like was said here, why buy an F150 when you can have a Superduty Diesel for a bit more money? If you can't get a V6 diesel in a variety of configurations, why bother? Not everyone wants a crew cab short bed. :shrug03:
I'm going to guess that engine offering is not going to last long. Just my 2 cents.

#25 ·
There are tons of F150s around here in DFW area and I have seen one and it had dealer plates. The powerstroke badge on door is easy to spot. I'm left to think they are not selling well at all.

#26 ·
Well if that is the case, the marketing dept. failed. I have literally seen no buzz about it at all!

#27 ·
Why go for a 150 when for just a few more dollars you can get a 250? For a lot of people the ride quality in the 150 is superior to the Super duty and not everyone wants or needs a Super Duty. If I had to choose one for a daily driver I would go with the 150 without question.

Reactions: bobofthenorth
#28 ·
Hey ford_doctor - you never responded to my previous question. Could you go back and read post #14 and give your opinion?

#31 ·
I have a 3.0LPSD F-150, a 2018 CC 6.5ft bed 4WD Lariat. Just passed the 23,000 mile mark. From 2000 to 2015 I owned a 2000 F-250 CC LB 2WD 7.3L PSD Lariat that I drove for close to 250Kmiles.

My 3.0L 4WD gets around 24.5mpg on my commute, 27.5mpg solo on the highway (driving it normally, not trying to conserve fuel), and right around 16mpg towing 4500-5000 lbs of travel trailer. This is in the east Puget Sound area, but about a third of my commute is pretty flat. If I drive it on relatively level ground at 45-50 mph I can get the short term mileage to 30-31 mpg, but in this part of the world that's unrealistic for more than very short drives.

The 3.0L is no comparison to the chipped 7.3L. Throttle response is not stellar, especially when the Auto start/stop is engaged. There are a few places I disable it because the cross traffic view is short and when I say move I want it to move. But the start/stop still defaults to ON due to the local fuel prices.

The 10 speed occasionally hunts for a gear, that's on the short list of things to fix/flash at the next dealer visit. This happens mostly in the 2-3 or 3-4 shift starting up a hill while towing in tow/haul. Drops back down right adfter upshifting as if it doesn;t quite grok the diesel's torque curve.

It's quiet but you can tell it's a diesel.

The EGR recall took two visits, the tech left something improperly aligned and I didn't make it out of Bellevue before the CE light was on. The tech had never see one before mine and the initial repair took about 3 days to complete, the repair on the repair another two days from what I remember last year.

The DEF tank is 4 gallons, which is awkward when the jugs are 2.5gallons. The dealership added to it with a jug instead of a pump last service, I thought that was just silly. The service contract says they'll top it off. And DEF doesn't show up in the FordPass app.

The ride is fantastic by comparison to the 2000 F-250 . The electronics and navigation are generations improved.

My wife likes this one far more than the F-250. She never complains about driving it and her daily driver is a 2016 Lincoln MKC.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions if I can.

- Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.