Aftermarket / Stainless EGR Coolers? Experiences? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2008-Up Super Duty truck with 6.4L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.4L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket / Stainless EGR Coolers? Experiences?

My 2008 6.4 has 106k and I am past due for the accessory drive belts and tensioner replacements. I am also considering replacing the water pump while I have the front end apart. I replaced the hoses with the revised dual o-ring Motorcraft units as well as the thermostats about 4 years ago. I will replace the o-rings during this effort of course.

The exhaust system was replaced about a year ago with all new OEM parts, courtesy of a Meth-head attempting to steal the cat and much to the dismay of my insurance company (~$6200).

No tuners or deletes, pretty much a stock truck, maintained with all OEM parts. The truck has been fairly trouble free and I am looking to keep it that way.

I am considering replacing the EGR coolers as a preventative effort while it is apart. Stainless EGR Coolers are about $1200, so a hefty investment, but do these really prevent leaks, clogs, etc. Aftermarket units will run about $500 for the pair, but not stainless. I am sure OEM will run close to the stainless units.

Does anyone have experience with Stainless EGR coolers? Worth the price of admission?

Thanks,
OJ

Vincent
Greencastle PA (Unfortunately)
2008 F250 CC SWB King Ranch 4x4 6.4
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDs, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3.

2018 Mercedes E400 4Matic Coupe
2015 Mercedes GLK250 BlueTec (Diesel)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:34 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
ALL diesel EGR coolers are made from stainless steel. The reason is to prevent rust and thus performance issues and engine damage. Don't fall prey to sales pitches.

I am of the opinion (based on experience and product knowledge) that 6.4L EGR coolers themselves rarely ever fail on their own. The high rate of failures early on were caused by cooling system problems that were created by low fluid levels, poor cooling and pressure pulsations. You would be better off paying attention to radiator hoses (leaks) your radiator (leaks), pressure cap (not maintaining pressure) and your thermostats which are notorious for failing in a couple different ways. Probably the most important preventative thing you can do for a stock 6.4L is have the PCM calibration updated to the most current level if it is not already. There was a recall for this specifically. Ford added monitors that detected things like malfunctioning thermostats, restricted oil coolers and cooling system variations and a monitor that detected elevated crankcase oil levels from high pressure fuel system leaks. Those conditions contributed to EGR cooler failures that sent coolant to the cylinders that bent rods and shattered pistons, and excessive oil vapor carryover into the CAC system that fed the engine oil. Oil that as an un-metered fuel source caused piston crowns to melt and the occasional engine runaway.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (61)
Thank you for the reply. I will check with the dealer and find out if they update the PCM when they replaced the exhaust system, otherwise I will make arrangements to do so.

The truck has been maintaining coolant levels and the system holds pressure. I will be replacing the coolant when I install the new water pump, hose o-rings, belts and tensioners.

There is no rust around the radiator end tanks, sensors or other, so I believe the cooling system is in good shape. I also check the coolant with test strips when changing the oil, which has been once a year or more.

The truck doesn’t see heavy use, but I try to drive it at least once a week and not to let it sit unused for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Thanks

OJ

Vincent
Greencastle PA (Unfortunately)
2008 F250 CC SWB King Ranch 4x4 6.4
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDs, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3.

2018 Mercedes E400 4Matic Coupe
2015 Mercedes GLK250 BlueTec (Diesel)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2008-2010 Ford Super Duties > 6.4L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Code poo87 | - »