The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF

112K views 410 replies 46 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
I have tried all the CPSs I could find.
I found this NAPA ELCHINs model and it's awesome.
I did have issue with it killing engine at idle only with wipers in the intermittent mode with it raining and then again with testing with garden hose.
I corrected this with ferrite chokes.
First things first.

Attachments

See less See more
#329 ·
Unicorn

Nick,

If I found a F6TZ12K073A 1821720C99 CPS, is this a unicorn? should i get it. I replaced all my injectors with single shot AC codes back in 08 after developing a bad miss on 3 and 8 after the CPS upgrade. I wanted the new injectors, but main driver was that i thought i had to get under both valve covers, so why not replace them all. Truck has been louder, of course because of the singleshots, but just sounds like the timing is off, almost like a preignition, or timing knock in a gasser. Thinking of trying this Echlin CPS, but thought why not get the original, if it ran fine with it, then had the miss after the upgrade.

#330 ·
I know putting single shots in without the correct PCM reprogramming, you will have problems.
Have you watched oil discharge during all rpms?
Lot of people go to the cps when a problem is present.
Sometimes when a new component is added it can make underling problems rear their head.
My suggestion is to make sure your truck is in top shape before doing my CPS mod. I do several a month and not had problems. It resolved KLHansens shut off going down the road when wipers were turned on with his brand. I have Bly seen Echlins do it on intermitant. Another member had H.I.D light system interfering.
Timing; the magnet is dead centered in the Echlin, identical to the original cps. The post recalls have it to the side some, that will change the timing a bit. Diesels have a slightly broader timing zone compared to a gasser, anyway.
I'm not exactly sure what you have going on but certainly would be looking into the programming and or injectors but that's me. You may choice to put a ford or international back in but guarantee that if you drove identical truck to yours you would feel your underlying problem.
I have not installed one that people, including myself that the opinion was that it ram better than new. I've never seen, not saying it's not so but,,, never seen an original black report sub one percent perdel on number 8.
Your not seeing timing change smoke are you? Dare I ask and open further the lid on the can of worm, because I believe in the end,, things will come back directly or indirectly to these one shots and or its my suspicion sitting on my sofa with your truck there.
A timing change in any diesel enough to start making noticeable racket will usually be accompanied by a smoke change. That magnet is centered as originally designed and has a strong magnet, so your timing is not changing from the Echlin.
Just tryin to help my friend. Should be quieter than a 6.0 if everything on and in your motor is right. In fact mine even with some trim panels currently off is only 3 decibels louder than a 6.7 measured in cab at center seat. Now my up pipes are wrapped and has a second firewall shield doubled up so you might not get quiet as quiet as mine but awe full lot of people loving the sound level reduction, power, increased fuel economy. Never seen a unicorn, I skipped the whole LSD thing. Stay green!

#332 ·
THanks for the reply Nick. I am currently running another CPS, cant recall the brand, but it is a larger diameter one like the original, maybe its Delhpi? I ordered several different ones that people found were built like the original, but when they came in, they had already changed the design again, and where the smaller magnet.

I put the Single shot AC codes in in 2009, when the miss showed up. David Lott Diesel Innovations here in Houston did the work, and programming. Hes supposed to know his stuff. i never thought it was quite right. seems like injectors make way too much noise going down the road. I know the single shots are much louder at idle, but running down the road it ought to hum. I have oil crossover, Regulated return, in tank mods and a GTP38R turbo. Thing pulls like a beast on the top end, but doesnt feel smooth. Its a little smokey from idle, and real fumey while idleing. Ive had it back to David many times and he tells me its fine, but I think he cares more about WOT than smooth low end power as well. I even tried a DP tuner chip. Didnt seem to make near as much power with that. I guess i need to invest in the AE software so i can get some data my self.
Maybe my HPOP is getting weak? seems to be slow to start if it sits for a week. she may be fine, but it don't feel like it, and im getting tired of chasing perceived problems.

What exactly is time change smoke?

This is the first Diesel ive modified, and i will be the first to say, i dont know what smoke means what or exactly how they should act, it just doesnt feel right.

Shes got about 200K on her, and the single shots have been in since 95K. Maybe need to pull the injectors, but thats pricey, or maybe icp and IPR are getting tired.....they are 15 years old. Truck spent a lot of time sittinng from 03 to 05.

I really appreaciate your time.

#334 ·
Nick (and all the rest of you electrically gifted wire hounds!),
Here's some feedback and hopefully food for thought to add to your already incredible CPS research. I found and installed the correct Echlins CPS after reading your findings. I already had a few of these highly collectible plastic covered magnets in my console so I would fit in around here! I also ran down to my local Radio Shack and bought all the necessary wire chokes, before they disappear like the Yugo! Here's the kicker, I didn't put the chokes on because I wondered if my 2003 E-350 Van might have significant wiring differences from the trucks and not need the chokes! I was thinking if some wire routing location, part difference, (or alignment of the planets, for Pete's sake!) could be identified, tested, and isolated, then we could all sleep better at night. I understand that the biggest culprit is the wiper interference, but I couldn't help but wonder what might eliminate the problem instead of treating the symptoms.
I have to check my receipt and vehicle log to be sure, but I bet I have put at least 12-13k on the ticker since then including one 3,400 mi round trip through all kinds of weather, elevations, etc. Only once in Ohio, I thought my engine was breaking up a little due to having the wipers on intermittent. Pulled over and left the wipers on and engine was running smooth. Turned out I just needed to throw a new pre-pump filter on and off I went! Everyone around here always comments on how smooth my engine runs. The napa Echlin is the best one yet. Second best one I have was black from O'Really's. Worst one I had in there was a grey one previous owner bought at Au+o Z@ne.
So I have tried to stare at multiple wiring schematics comparing trucks to the vans, but my eyes go blurry after a while and they all start to look like a maze on the kids menu at a diner! I'm almost out of crayons, so I'm wondering if anyone has extra insight on this? For now, I'm going to let all my wires run wild and free and un-choked in the name of science! Thanks again for "the Nick mod"!

#335 ·
I'm glad it has worked out for you. I have swapped out two original black ones. Didn't put out as good numbers and definitely gave all the benefits; power, fuel economy, smoothness and reduced sound level.
Look around at electronics now, everything, practically,is choked.
Try throwing a new wiper motor on one that needs chokes.

#337 ·
No change in egt's when swapping out CPS's , just a smoother idle and maybe better fuel mileage.

#338 ·
No change in egt's when swapping out CPS's , just a smoother idle and maybe better fuel mileage.

Yup! I agree 100%.

When we were sitting idle on a four lane thoroughfare along a blind curve leaving an international airport, I couldn't hear the engine running at all. Quiet as a church mouse.

And we got outstanding fuel economy, much better than a hybrid.

Cause the engine wasn't firing on that Napa CPS.

:lol:

#339 · (Edited)
I knew you would be one here pickin on my CPS as soon as I saw NYB as last poster.lol
First MR. Googs veered off directions in how he ran his wires. Good bad? Don't know. It's not how I did it.
Second, He had some HID light thing going on.
Third, did you miss all the other gear on that bad boy?
Fourth, security sees some Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top lookin dude drivinb Texas sized truck, you think they ain't going to light you guys up to see what's in that truck?lol
Stock truck, Nicks instructions, silky silky.

Look man that mod elavated me from "lunatic" to "brilliant but lunatic"status in KLHansen’s post after he squared away his truck.

Pickin on my mod

#340 ·
Well I'll post my inital impressions...........

I think some of it may be the placebo effect! Too soon for sure, but I know it did not magically turn into a gas engine noise wise.

When its cold I did feel it was noticably more quite, however once up to temp it all sounded the same. I'd say same for power, but who really knows without a better baseline. I am running singles shot stage 1.5 injectors so maybe splits give better results. I have not put enough miles on yet for a mileage comparison. I do think the NAPA may idle a little smoother, but again splitting hairs. I played around with the wipers a little and it never died so I did not choke the wiper motor yet.

I had high hopes for this CPS based on this thread. Not sure what was in the truck initally but I had a dark blue one (I think....) that I put in that produced more noise, worse gas milage, but MUCH better EGTs. About 100-125 deg lower! I'm hoping the NAPA one will keep the lower EGTs but get me back 1-2 mpgs.

We'll see.

#344 ·
#345 ·
Don't want to cut you guy's conversation ? but just wanna ad my .02

I have the Napa cps installed for close to a year now and still love it. Big difference compared to the gray one i was using before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#346 ·
Ahh Gee wizz, now I am going to have to try this mod :)
Took my truck to get 2 recalls done a few weeks ago and they "stole" my black original CPS and put in the Grey one. Not really happy how it is running and worse fuel economy.
I will go to NAPA and buy the Echlins CSS1103/M14056 and see how that changes things. If it really makes that much of a difference then it will be worth the effort. Going to try this Ferrite kit from Amazon
Amazon.com: AUCH 20Pcs Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core Black RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip for 5mm/7mm/9mm/13mm Diameter Cable: Car Electronics

Semper Fidelis

#347 ·
OK, so I went to Napa and the only one they had was a NAPA Echlin CSS1103 M16020. It is a Blue box that has both names on it. I opened the box and the cps is Grey. Would this one work, it's the only one they had thank you

#352 ·
ive had it kill the engine with the wipers on almost full blast.

#353 ·
Well I know there has been some success with this CPS but for me there were really no benefits and it had some weird problems too.

I just got back from about an 800 mile weekend pulling around 10k lbs through the Colorado Rockies. I did not see any difference in mileage and like I said in an earlier post the truck was quieter cold, but no difference once warm. The real concerning issue I had with the CPS was that in Utah (it would not do it in Colorado, maybe elevation related.....?) it would kill the engine any time in 3rd at 65mph. Like clock work at 65 or about 2700 RPM the engine would cutout very abruptly, tach would drop about 100rpm and then it would kick back in. If you did not back out of it it would just keep doing it. Felt really bad, no way its good for the truck.

I did not choke the wiper motor and had no problems running the wipers, with lots of rain and snow over the passes so at least that was easy.

I think Im going back to ford.....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.