7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good info Nick

Thanks for posting it. I have a BWD CPS that I tried for one day in the rain. It was a total POS. I may have to try the choke trick and go back to my original CPS that was cutting out on me intermittently. Maybe the choke will make it more reliable.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:06 AM

My Photos: (0)
ive heard of guys having wiper issues with the originial cps as well. they recalled it so long ago seems like we all have high miles now.

ya it definately is not fun driving in the rain with it causing issues

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #18 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Garage
Well i suppose the time will tell how these CPS's go in 7.3's
Are you guy's that have them installed hanging on the edge waiting for the truck to hiccup.

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 AM

My Photos: (6)
Nick, Your write up is great, but I'm unclear on exactly what chokes you used for this repair. Did you use the same pair of chokes on both the CPS pigtail and the wiper motor wire, and are the ones in my attached pic the ones that you got from Radio Shack?

And what do you mean by "The larger I used to cover the whole bundle is this guy and was about $3 and change for one." . . . seems like there is a word missing.

Thanks for a solution to this annoying CPS problem!

2000 F250 Ext Cab Longbed 7.3 4x4 ZF6 "The Pride of America" - AEM air filter, BTM exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP lines, CNC Fab 4-line stainless fuel lines, Fluidampr harmonic balancer, LuK improved clutch kit, Melling LPOP, DieselSite coolant filter, 203* thermostat in billet housing, 3 gauges (boost, pyro, fuel pressure) in pillar mount pod, AIH delete, EBPV delete, CCV mod, Zoodad mod, Glow Plug Relay relocation mod, Hutch mod, Harpoon mod, MileMarker manual locking hubs.

Last edited by SuperDutyTrooper; 04-03-2016 at 10:59 AM.
post #20 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:56 PM
NYB

My Photos: (7)
How many wraps are you running through the ferrite bead?

I wouldn't think that the existing wires have enough length to run any wraps at all?

Last edited by NYB; 09-10-2014 at 02:51 PM.
post #21 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM

ya those are them. should go over the large ground wire on the firewall. or do like nick did and find the wire in the bundle by the wipers and shield it as well.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #22 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (1)
NYB, I was worried about having to solder in more wire so I would have enough lengths to make the loops my electrical engineer friend told me I might have to do. I said nah ( to myself of course) I'm going to just clamp over and see if that does it first.
SuperDutyTrooper, those are the ones but there are different diameters, so pick up a few bags of the small and big sizes.
That red harness you see I had cut that open to expose the four or five wires going to wiper motor and then paced one of those bullet looking chokes on each wire. Then I used the larger box shaped one to clamp over the whole group of wires, note shape of red glob. The larger box one going over all is the white one pictured on table I picked up at electronics store on the way home. Radio shake has the but just black instead of white. You want a tight fit on the wire so you need the different sizes.
I electrical taped up wires and placed a piece of cardboard underneath and then brushed on Plasti dip.
Sorry this is a poor write up in the specifics department and photos and whatnot but this started the day before I took of for the beach. The truck had a couple minor misses you could only feel in the steering wheel in the line to the ATM. Ran home and scanned my dark blue International was going up and I was taking off in the morning so I just grabbed a NAPA Elichins, turned wipers on and it did not shut off. Ran test and saw the numbers I posted. Life's great take off, drives better than brand new. Second night down there and I am outside with them in intermitant mode outside a restaurant for ten minutes and bam!
I have tested with different volumes of water and mist in every single wiper detent, well over an hour and half. I cannot kill it now.
I have since rolled into local police station parking lot, no shut off. I repeated with fire department, no shut off. I repeated by going to a field with four communication towers lined with gadgets and dishes, no shut off.
xelerator likes this.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 09-10-2014 at 10:42 PM.
post #23 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Kevin ford told the NTSB that the problem with the originals failing was a wire bundle separating internally. Perhaps they had interference issues as well, I never did, just the failure.
post #24 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Doing just the ground wires on fire wall did nothing even after placing one one each of the three cps wires.
I still had engine shut ifs after ten minutes of the water testing.
I WAS NOT successful in this till I placed one on each of the wires going into the wiper motor and then placing the larger one over the whole bundle of wire.
post #25 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

I found two of the three bags with the part numbers and one of each of the three chokes I used.
I think with the picture of the three items and two of the part numbers one could go to web site and put it together.
Again the largest of the three is white in picture but will be black in Radio Shack brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	52546  

post #26 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

So this image is what I believe NYB had in mind and my electrical engineer buddy said I might have to do if doing just a straight run through did not work.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	542
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	52554  

post #27 of 410 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Just doing this with the three different sizes worked, thankfully.
The wires are different gauges so you need the different sizes for a snug fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	984
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	52562  

post #28 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 AM

My Photos: (3)
This thread is what I've been looking for for about 12 years! Thanks for sharing your info and making life easier for others.

2002 F350 4x4 Crew Cab, Lariat,Standard Trans, sb, srw, 315 Cooper STT, aFe Stage II, Edge Juice w/ attitude monitor, 4" stainless exhaust, 4:10 gears, Auburn ECTD front, Auburn High Performance Limited Slip in back.
post #29 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

No problem, it's nice to have them running like glass and passing the CCT test.
post #30 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Supertrooper, I missed your post. Cut the tape open holding the wires together by the motor to seperate the wires. I placed a small choked( pictured) on each wire. I then used a larger one to cover all of the wires there. I then taped up with a high quality electrical tape. Place rags under it and brush on plasti dip. This is what I did at wiper motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in