7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF - Page 26 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 410 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure buddy, like I said on in the beginning of thread I said I had Gary my electrical engineer guy friend get me on the path and I had to bail. Like I said we are friends but he drives me insane when he gets frustrated that I can't " keep up" well yeah I don't have a degree in the stuff nor do you have a clue about diesels but I slow down and put things simply ect. We can't spend much time together on technical stuff.
So my personal truck was the first and outlined how I did it. I have installed about 10 on customer's stock trucks. 0 problems have been experienced.
Now NYB visits Googs down under and he stalls at airport.
He has HIDs

Long and short my friend you will have to play around with the chokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 410 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 PM

My Photos: (0)
Hey guys, haven't checked this in awhile. For what it's worth, I added about 2 dozen chokes of various sizes to my truck to get it to run right with the wipers. Places I added the chokes:
1. Wiper loom;
2. Battery grounds;
3. Stereo sub amplifier ground wire;
4. CPS wires;
5. Body ground straps;
6. PCM ground;
7. Stereo ground

Yes, I added that many because it WOULD NOT WORK until I finally added them all. Why? No effing clue...it just did. The good news is that it only cost about 10 bucks for all the chokes on amazon.

Good luck!

2000 F250 PSD, 4x4, Red
Banks 4" Exhaust, Big-head Wastegate, DP tuner Chip (80econ, 60 tow, 100 race...), AFE Stage II, Turbonetics Torque-Master .84 turbo, Spearco 6.0 retro-IC, EBPV removed, Ram-air Mod, BWD bellowed up-pipes, Ford HD 4R100 Transmission. Mag-Hytec trans and diff covers, full gauges.
AE if you need a scan...just PM me.
post #378 of 410 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey there Jar head,
I'm am glad it's working for you buddy. How do you like that idle and new found pep?
What other mids have you done? With this now squared away, I can get you so silky and quiet, a 6.7 owner will squirm, wishing he hadn't missed the boat before that action.
Are you a member of another forum?
Be sure to tell them where you found me. TDS and it's members are the best.
Confirm all findings as outlined by me in the beginning of this thread. Stalls are no joke. They can be deadly!
Please take the time to confirm buddy.
I have never seen a stock ( as factory without aftermarket equipment i.e. H.I.D lights, CB or commercial Mororola ect.) even stumble as outlined by me. Also note never seen anything other than in Park, at idle with wipers on intermitant.
Please be careful.
Nick.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 07-18-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #379 of 410 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

36k plus hits.
Thank you all and TDs!
Wish my first pre internet publishing got read by as many.
post #380 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Just read from OP to #379. I have had 2 cps go out on my Excursion and the third one is starting to give trouble at highway speed. Spare in the glove but I want to fix it right. One in engine right now is Auto Zone unknown unit that I had to slap in so wife could go. I have HID, Jody's chip, 270 amp alternator with extra pos wire direct to RH battery, 2 group 31 marine sears die hard batteries in excellent condition.

I ordered a set of 20 chokes in various sizes from Amazon and plan to test the NAPA Echlin unit. My truck is damn loud. If there is any way I can quiet it down even close to the new Fords, then I will. But do not want to compromise performance. What is the specific issue with HID lights? Can it be mitigated with chokes? I'm not married to the HID's. They do not perform near as good as the Hella's I have on my old Land Cruiser. It has a custom harness and puts 400 Watts downrange on high beam. If I could match it's low beam performance on the Excursion I would be happy.

David Dunbar
2003 4x4 7.3 Excursion Ltd
4" exhaust, Tymar DIY, Vcode & modified Fcode, Helwig, Inappropriately valved Bilsteins, Isspro 3 gauge w/ windshield mount, DP tuner 80-60tow-40tow-HI, 6.0 31-row ATF cooler,
BTS Transmission, DI Up pipes
Tomball Texas
post #381 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:42 PM

Cheap hids throw off interference that doesn't play well with the dp chips. RadioShack sells a choke big enough to clip over the ribbon cable.

The Napa cps will also also need a choke on the wiper ground at least. Some guys need more than one choke installed

Honestly pull the chip off and see if idle noise decreases.

In my experience with dp tunes, the timing advance makes the trucks run a little rougher and noisier.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
post #382 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 11:40 AM

I've noticed that certain CPS's make my truck louder than others. Worst thing about the CPS is that all of them tend to slowly degrade over time. I see it mostly in fuel mileage decreases.

2003 F250 crew, 4x4, 7.3 d with Donaldson CAI, SCT tuner with DP 80ECONO and 60TOW tunes, HPX, Hutch mod, in-line fuel filter, 2" lift, extended air dam mod, WW2 turbo wheel, running Torque Pro
post #383 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googs View Post
Good move , i assure you if you follow Nick's procedure with the chokes it will work great for you , smoother idle and so much quieter, and will pass the contribution test.
The only reason i had a small problem was because of the interference with the HID head lights i had installed, giving some interference with the cps.
Googs, I have been through this thread more than once and can't find out what to do about HID head lights, which I have. What did you do extra to get it working?

David Dunbar
4" exhaust, Tymar DIY, Vcode & modified Fcode, Helwig, Inappropriately valved Bilsteins, Isspro 3 gauge w/ windshield mount, DP tuner 80-60tow-40tow-HI, 6.0 31-row ATF cooler,
Tomball Texas
post #384 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Got mine on and its like I got a new power plant. Instead of chainsaw ripsaw up the rpm ladder, now it powers thought the bands like a turbine. Noticeable quieter at speed and on acceleration.

Got chokes everywhere suggested except a couple of underbody grounds that I will chase down. Did a 30 second wiper test but no real test of wipers. That's for the morning.
I can't thank Nick enough for running this down. He needs development stipends from Ford on a weekly basis, with expense money.

Cheers,
Dunbar

David Dunbar
Tomball Texas
post #385 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:51 AM

I put the Echlin in two weeks ago. I do not notice a difference between it and the Delphi or the purple one. Mileage and sound are better with all three than the grey Ford one.

Funny how different these trucks all react to the various CPS's.

2003 F250 crew, 4x4, 7.3 d with Donaldson CAI, SCT tuner with DP 80ECONO and 60TOW tunes, HPX, Hutch mod, in-line fuel filter, 2" lift, extended air dam mod, WW2 turbo wheel, running Torque Pro
post #386 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:51 PM

Got mine to spudder a couple of times with the intermittent wipers then die. I have not choked a couple of body grounds under the truck. I have HID headlights, a 270 amp alternator and a large wire from the alt to the battery. I have an extra hot wire from one battery to the other. A few of the chokes I placed were a bit big for the wires they went on.

Anyone know what Googs did about his HID's?

David Dunbar
Tomball Texas
post #387 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:41 PM

Googs hasn't been around.
Best chance would be through nick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #388 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 PM

Nick in the OP you say that it only killed the motor with intermittent wipers and at idle. Did you ever get it to die when driving? I'm about to hit the highway to drive to Lake Superior and the truck runs so much better with this mod I don't want to pull it and put the other back in. I put on a few more chokes on grounds I found but will not have time to test it until we see rain or snow. I guess in the mean time I could switch the wiper on and back off rather than use intermittent. Engine dying at speed is more of a concern than at a stoplight.

David Dunbar
Tomball Texas
post #389 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googs View Post
The Hydra won't take any power from you now it's only going to enhance it, i have a DP chip and it's great in all positions, i drove for an hour or so yesterday in the rain with the wipers on intermittent with no problems only thing was trying to keep traction the rear.
I installed four sets of ferrite chokes (as per Nicks instructions) one on each cps wire (3) one on the LH ground to body and one on each grounds for the pcm (2) and then one on each of the wiper wires (5)

First and second photo is the wiper loom, third is LH ground, fourth is PCM ground, fifth is cps wires you can only see the ferrite choke that i wrapped around the whole loom there is three other chokes below that.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...ml#post3630378

I can't find the grounds for the PCM in picture 4 of the linked post. Is that inside the cab or under the hood? Under the hood I see the plug on the PCM but no wires running out of the loom to ground. I do have 2 wires high up with a common ground. They come out of the main harness. My problem must be that I have no chokes on the PCM ground. Can anyone describe where picture 4 is? My truck is an Excursion, 2003 7.3 but it should be the same. Only electrical under hood difference is the CA style Glow plug Module. I wish we had the normal GPR.

David Dunbar
Tomball Texas

Last edited by Dunbar; 12-23-2016 at 12:11 AM.
post #390 of 410 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Dropped in but don't have wiring manual at hand 3:00 AM Eastern but is this is being attempted due to HIDs? and tests outlined in beginning have not been performed? Just out of concern?
This concerns me.... This is a modification vetted on a stock truck...As stated in the beginning of thread. All testing must be down as outlined before" usuall business"
I offered this as a solution amongst friends and members of this forum but I nor does verticle Scope or anyone assume anything with modified vehicles or their operating system.
Thread shares experiences of those who have used and or modified said vehicle or opening sytem and thread originator hs outlined test procedures on an otherwise stock electronically vehicle.
So many have benifited, however I fear that, due to thread's length, certain precautions may have been missed.
I.e. Trying mod after lack of or misdiagnosis masking other issues that in turn, return unequivelent reults on same iron, fuel, condition, programmed engine driving commmnds, environment.

In summary... read, test, take any and all risks upon yourself..

Learn your power plant, get it right before doing this and THEN TEST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in