The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF

112K views 410 replies 46 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
I have tried all the CPSs I could find.
I found this NAPA ELCHINs model and it's awesome.
I did have issue with it killing engine at idle only with wipers in the intermittent mode with it raining and then again with testing with garden hose.
I corrected this with ferrite chokes.
First things first.

Attachments

See less See more
#115 · (Edited)
Was this before or after ferrites?

I installed the CPS from Napa, part # the same, and my report is no way as nice as this.
#3 is 1.3 and #8 is 3.8
Passes Injector and CCT.

Looks like I bought M14010.
2 different Napas, 2 different M#s. (M14010 and M13074)

#5 ·
So I remove drivers side wiper arm and the bezel below the arm.
I cut open wire harness to motor that is pictured here and place a choke on each wire and then one larger over the entire bundle of wire. I then taped up wires and chokes with electrical tape and then coated with Plasti Dip.
I then zip tied two ways as moving arm can rub against it.

Attachments

#6 ·
Why are cps's so friggin difficult? It seems all the "new and improved" ones have issues. I had to buy a new cps from the local parts store (BWD) and it advanced the injectors to the point of trying to skylight a piston above 1800rpm. i thought it was a fluke, but another guy I know with a SD said he had some issues (bad idm in the end), but initially replaced the cps (as I told him long ago) with a BWD and had the same problems.
The black one's were just fine. Why fix something that isn't broken?

#7 ·
I then sprayed mist, sprayed heavy water, as well as let it wipe dry.
I repeated this test on EVERY increment on stalk for fifteen minutes.
I also tried spinning mode selector back and forth.
Well after an hour I declared victory as I could not kill it.
I took it on 3.5 hour trip to beach and it drove like a dream. It is quieter,smoother and just plain sweeter.
So I don't know If I caught the wire carrying the interference on the second attempt or if I created an accumulative effect.
It is not a lot of work and the small size chokes are in two packs for $2 and change.
The larger I used to cover the whole bundle is this guy and was about $3 and change for one.
Disregard the scrap of wire pictured next to it.
I hope this helps you benefit from a great running engine and gets rid of that bad feeling you have not passing the CCT test and just plain knowing your truck is not running the best it can.
Take Care
Nick

Attachments

#8 ·
Good thread Nick thanks for sharing that, you could do some resurfacing on that work bench mate.:lol::lol:

#10 ·
I love it mate , just don't tear the table cloth on the surface .ha

#11 ·
I need to go get some ferrite chokes. ive been using tin foil and its worked but I just never made a trip to radioshack haha

#13 ·
ya we have two or three in town so hopefully one of them has them. ya last time I went there they looked like a cell phone store lol

#14 ·
Nick, have you heard of the latest oem CPS update. I heard its dark purple now. Supposed to be accurate as the old black one, but reliable like the grey one.

#15 ·
I don't think it's reports to good Corey.
Its the dark grey blue purple , Part number 1876736c91
The 1876736c91 is for the 94-96 7.3L engines. It is also sold as Ford P/N F4TZ-12K073-C.

#16 ·
Good info Nick

Thanks for posting it. I have a BWD CPS that I tried for one day in the rain. It was a total POS. I may have to try the choke trick and go back to my original CPS that was cutting out on me intermittently. Maybe the choke will make it more reliable.

#17 ·
ive heard of guys having wiper issues with the originial cps as well. they recalled it so long ago seems like we all have high miles now. :lol:

ya it definately is not fun driving in the rain with it causing issues

#18 ·
Well i suppose the time will tell how these CPS's go in 7.3's
Are you guy's that have them installed hanging on the edge waiting for the truck to hiccup.

#19 · (Edited)
Nick, Your write up is great, but I'm unclear on exactly what chokes you used for this repair. Did you use the same pair of chokes on both the CPS pigtail and the wiper motor wire, and are the ones in my attached pic the ones that you got from Radio Shack?

And what do you mean by "The larger I used to cover the whole bundle is this guy and was about $3 and change for one." . . . seems like there is a word missing.

Thanks for a solution to this annoying CPS problem!

#21 ·
ya those are them. should go over the large ground wire on the firewall. or do like nick did and find the wire in the bundle by the wipers and shield it as well.

#22 · (Edited)
NYB, I was worried about having to solder in more wire so I would have enough lengths to make the loops my electrical engineer friend told me I might have to do. I said nah ( to myself of course) I'm going to just clamp over and see if that does it first.
SuperDutyTrooper, those are the ones but there are different diameters, so pick up a few bags of the small and big sizes.
That red harness you see I had cut that open to expose the four or five wires going to wiper motor and then paced one of those bullet looking chokes on each wire. Then I used the larger box shaped one to clamp over the whole group of wires, note shape of red glob. The larger box one going over all is the white one pictured on table I picked up at electronics store on the way home. Radio shake has the but just black instead of white. You want a tight fit on the wire so you need the different sizes.
I electrical taped up wires and placed a piece of cardboard underneath and then brushed on Plasti dip.
Sorry this is a poor write up in the specifics department and photos and whatnot but this started the day before I took of for the beach. The truck had a couple minor misses you could only feel in the steering wheel in the line to the ATM. Ran home and scanned my dark blue International was going up and I was taking off in the morning so I just grabbed a NAPA Elichins, turned wipers on and it did not shut off. Ran test and saw the numbers I posted. Life's great take off, drives better than brand new. Second night down there and I am outside with them in intermitant mode outside a restaurant for ten minutes and bam!
I have tested with different volumes of water and mist in every single wiper detent, well over an hour and half. I cannot kill it now.
I have since rolled into local police station parking lot, no shut off. I repeated with fire department, no shut off. I repeated by going to a field with four communication towers lined with gadgets and dishes, no shut off.

#24 ·
Doing just the ground wires on fire wall did nothing even after placing one one each of the three cps wires.
I still had engine shut ifs after ten minutes of the water testing.
I WAS NOT successful in this till I placed one on each of the wires going into the wiper motor and then placing the larger one over the whole bundle of wire.

#25 ·
I found two of the three bags with the part numbers and one of each of the three chokes I used.
I think with the picture of the three items and two of the part numbers one could go to web site and put it together.
Again the largest of the three is white in picture but will be black in Radio Shack brand.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.