The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF

112K views 410 replies 46 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
I have tried all the CPSs I could find.
I found this NAPA ELCHINs model and it's awesome.
I did have issue with it killing engine at idle only with wipers in the intermittent mode with it raining and then again with testing with garden hose.
I corrected this with ferrite chokes.
First things first.

Attachments

See less See more
#56 ·
I found the stalls were on intermitant. I did not do it scientifically so I'm sure I have chokes I don't need. I have had zero stalls and this winter I have had that truck out plowing with the wipers on intermitant for over 24 hrs of operation and a storm they were on for over 48hrs. Double check my thread. If your wiring and sÿstem are good and you have the chokes where I do, I think you will be ok. You can google plowing with Maryland dieselnick youtube and see for yourself them on intermitant and monster snow covered hills that you would go down like a bobsled if the engine stalled.

#57 ·
I have 3 CPS for my truck. Ford, IH, and Orielly BWD. In playing with them on my desk, the BWD is the strongest magnet. It is currently in my truck and working fine. Now that truck is running better I may swap to one of the others to see what happens. Never had trouble with the wipers.

#58 ·
That's interesting , most everyone one on here with a (BWD) has had intermittent wiper problems, have you fitted ferrite chokes anywhere ?

#60 ·
Googs, No chokes or anything. I played with all 3 sitting at my deck one night. BWD is gray and has a much larger diameter head. Magnet inside will pick up a 1/4" drive deep socket. IH or Ford will not. So at Nicks suggestion I am running it.

#61 ·
I was under the impression that Nick had a Napa cps in his own truck, there is a couple of others here that have had stalling with those cps's .
You may have just been lucky with the one you fitted , have you done a rotational velocity test with the BWD?

#62 ·
He does, but he told me to use the strongest CPS I have. My last scans have all been with this one. Everything is good as far as my local shop guy says. Gonna get it rescanned after I change out harnesses.

#63 ·
All sounding good , hope after you change the harness things will be solved.
I will have to test the cps's i have here, i have the Black IH in the truck now and two different types of cps's from Napa with large magnets , will let you know the outcome.

#66 ·
As you know i have both the Napa and the Elchins and both are grey, and the part numbers are the same , not sure what's going on there.:2:

#68 ·
Just checked Nick, the numbers are the same , the cps that Clay sent me is an up-dated sensor made in Taiwan .
The magnet strength is the same on both these cps's Elchins and OEM Premiem Line.

I do believe the cps that NoSlo444 purchased is the Napa cps , the OEM Premium line cps is light grey.

Last pic is the original IH black cps you can see the difference in the colours between all of them.

Attachments

#70 ·
Yeah that's correct it replaces the Napa Elichins model , I'm going to try the both of them and report back with any differences.
I believe that magnet strength is an important factor in the performance of these cps's .

#71 · (Edited)
The one I purchased is the Napa Elchins. It's already installed to replace the Ford Recall CPS. I've only had time to clock 5 miles but the motor seems smoother and more quiet. I ran the wipers on intermittent for about twenty minutes in the driveway, no hiccups.

I'm going to run it longer later tonight once the kids settle down etc....

#73 ·
Sorry i just thought you where talking about the other cps that Napa sells. :icon_rolleyes:

i have the Napa Elchins and can't wait to fit it so i can have the smooth idling and extra power you guys have.:icon_wink:

Reactions: Usmc1968
#75 ·
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Funny!

#76 ·
I wouldn't say it has more power but it does seem like I can lug the motor at a lower RPM without adding throttle to maintain speed uphill.

The low RPM miss causing a slight off idle bucking rolling off idle is gone.

I'm not trying to jump to conclusions buts that what I noticed from a breif test drive.

#77 ·
Are you empty or towing?

#79 ·
Empty at the moment.

Lol, And yes. Less pedal uphill=more power.
No extra seat of the pants feel is what I was trying to say.

I'm on a highway test drive right now and I swear this thing sounds closer to a gas engine than ever, the Deisel rattle is so mellow now.

I'm impressed, once the plecebo affect wears off I'll update the thread.

Thanks for finding a CPS that doesn't suck!

#80 · (Edited)
You are welcome my friend. I get plain gritty when I give one of my customers a ride to the parts store or my personal favorite, the bank. My motor starts and the eyeballs just stare at the dash. Short conversation the eyeballs are staring at my dash. I say "what"? They fidigit in the seat look at the dash,"what year is this thing"? 2000. "What the.... this thing is quieter than my 6.0. Yes, yes it is he he. 6.0 6.4 all beat! I'm on the heels of a 6.7 when I have warm oil. Three decibles separates me! This CPs is just part of the equation but is the corner stone.

#81 ·
Nick you know how to tease a bloke , i think I'll go out and fit my new Napa cps right now!Oh and fit the chokes.:wink2:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.