7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ Frequently asked questions in the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain forum.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 02:31 PM
NYB

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you leave any of your ferrite chokes that you earlier tried on your CPS harness in place also? Or did you remove all your CPS chokes, and just choke the Wiper Motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
I got the guidance from my electrical engineer friend but the conversation immediately gets elevated above my head. I have to reel him back in and get him to make things simpler, he gets frustrated, I get half you know what offed and I kinda piece things together for myself.
I started at cps connector and it failed after 10 minutes off water test. I was upset and smoking a cigarette by the firewall and saw the grounds. Gary said don't even bother with the grounds. Being upset it was failing only at idle during water test I was going to prove him wrong and punish him for not being able to explain it without acting like it was a lecture in a M.I.T. Lab. I it them on the grounds and got soaked for ten minutes. Big Surprise, Gary was right and Nick was impatient and acting like a child.
I then pulled wiper arm and cover. I then cut open tape on wires and did the rest outlined above. It was unscientific because... Well I told you. I don't know if it was accumulative but it wasn't untill I got at the motor.
Even if you do all the chokes I did it's not much money.
I suggest insulating the cps harness with heat shielding when you pull it up to put beads on it so the harness never gets burnt by ebp sensor tube.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 10-07-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #33 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 PM

My Photos: (0)
So are you implying that electrical interference (or in your case water intrusion) is causing problems with the CPS?

I've been having issues that act identical to a failing CPS though it has been dry here for months. One of your earlier posts got me thinking about where (on the road) my failures have occured. Two of my failures occured within a mile of each other on a section of road that I rarely travel. The third failure I had (third CPS too) was on an access rd between our hospital and one of our local cell providers' office. I can't think of anything near the roadway for failures A & B but there could be some high tension wires or an antenna farm behind the trees there...

I think I will try to pick up some of these chokes and see what happens...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 SD, 4x4, Lariat, crew, 7.3 ltr. Ford Exteme Duty air filter, muffler delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, DieselSite coolant filtration system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Not water intrusion but the electrical noise or interferrance caused by the windshield wiper motor and this cps's inability to deal with it.
Like I said this came from an engineer and I am not. He had gone over the whole gambit of what happens and can. So I did very best I could by testing as extensively as possible for any failure situations or environments that fit with what Gary talked about.
In the 1980s everyday at rush hour 1/4 before a massive radio tower next to the beltway cars would stall out and restart. Seemed to be at those idle speeds.
If you think it's outside interferrance choke the signal return as close to pcm as possible, like up by harness connector and vice versa for cps pos. And ground. The idea there is to see it as the wire being an antenna in a way so you want to kill off caos as close to effected item as possible.
That's really the only way I know how to explain the things I interpreted from Gary.
Speaking of Gary, he was considering getting an old 7.3idi. It would be nice to have him as a member. Guys like that and people like Tinman and others here that really know electricity are nice to have around.
post #35 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 AM

My Photos: (5)
This thread caught my attention - mostly because it's been a long time since I've spent anytime here and I thought CPS issues were long gone! (apparently not)

I had some issues when I first bought my early '99, on rare occasions it would stall while idling but fire right back up. While researching I found this board and decided to replace the CPS as it was a known issue (this was before the recall) so I replaced it with one from the International dealer and never had another issue. Also picked up another to carry as a spare from Ebay.

Then one time I had the truck in the dealer for something else and they said they'd need to replace the CPS because of the recall. I said fine, but I've already replaced it so can you just throw the old one in the glove box so I have two spares now.. they said no they had to send all replaced ones in so I just said go ahead.

Anyway, that was a couple of hundred thousand km's ago and the truck has always ran fine, never gave me any (CPS) issues since, and I have 670,000 km's on it. I've certainly never ran into the stalling with the wipers going while raining as described here. Am I just lucky or is my truck somehow immune from this?

The ferrite fix caught my interest though - as a hobby I fly FPV (first person view) on remote controlled aircraft and many of us in the hobby loop video transmitter wires (or other wires depending on issue) through ferrite rings if there is interference issues between the video transmission and radio signal transmission. Some also use shielded CAT5 cable in place of regular wires.

I'm wondering if shielding the wires described here with ferrite would be a prudent thing to do, even if I've never experienced the problems described here. I also just started a thread about my truck running rough when cold, but I'm assuming it's injector related, as they've never been replaced yet. Would or could CPS interference cause an engine to run rough when it was cold only?

'99 F250 PSD CC AUTO, Lariat, 680,000 km's, Raider cap, K&N air filter, spray in liner, stainless grill inserts, and command start for those -40 mornings, no more running out in my briefs to fire her up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

This modification is for use with NAPA's ELCHINs model cps. That cps gives the very best crank rotation change reports, passes the cylinder contribution test, makes it run like glass, more power(my gosh) and better fuel economy. The other CPSs out there do not shut your truck off due to interferrance. This one will. So if you want all the best things like what's listed above you have to use chokes on this model to not have an interferrance issue.
Do you have a scanner capable of streaming live data on your truck?
post #37 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
This modification is for use with NAPA's ELCHINs model cps. That cps gives the very best crank rotation change reports, passes the cylinder contribution test, makes it run like glass, more power(my gosh) and better fuel economy. The other CPSs out there do not shut your truck off due to interferrance. This one will. So if you want all the best things like what's listed above you have to use chokes on this model to not have an interferrance issue.
Do you have a scanner capable of streaming live data on your truck?
Oh I see now, so just the NAPA one then.. I may have to see if I can get one up here and see how much difference I notice in how the truck runs.

What exactly do you mean by streaming live data?

'99 F250 PSD CC AUTO, Lariat, 680,000 km's, Raider cap, K&N air filter, spray in liner, stainless grill inserts, and command start for those -40 mornings, no more running out in my briefs to fire her up!

post #38 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

There is a Borg Warner model that will shut off your engine as well.
There are code readers and there are scanners. Codes are set when certain things are out of range. You can have issues and no codes can be set.
A scanner can pull the codes, initiate self test programs that are in the truck's PCM as well as monitor particular components and how they are performing. In the beginning of thread you will see attachments that have screen shots that show this.
You can pick up Auto Ingenuity with the enhanced Ford Pwr. Train for about $375 dollars. It works on your Windows based lap top.
A scanner is extremely helpful to have with your truck. One repair you do yourself will cover its cost.
You can go on net and find best price. If you buy from AE directly you will pay full retail, about $40 more but if you have a problem and you call them you can not be told to deal with that vendor for support. YES, they actually initially tried that with me.
You can get a full on Professional scanner but you will be way over a grand, more like at least $3500 when all is said and done.
If you own one of these trucks you will be doing yourself a favor by getting a scanner that has 7.3 capable software.

Last edited by Maryland dieselnick; 10-09-2014 at 12:51 PM.
post #39 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland dieselnick View Post
There is a Borg Warner model that will shut off your engine as well.
There are code readers and there are scanners. Codes are set when certain things are out of range. You can have issues and no codes can be set.
A scanner can pull the codes, initiate self test programs that are in the truck's PCM as well as monitor particular components and how they are performing. In the beginning of thread you will see attachments that have screen shots that show this.
You can pick up Auto Ingenuity with the enhanced Ford Pwr. Train for about $375 dollars. It works on your Windows based lap top.
A scanner is extremely helpful to have with your truck. One repair you do yourself will cover its cost.
You can go on net and find best price. If you buy from AE directly you will pay full retail, about $40 more but if you have a problem and you call them you can not be told to deal with that vendor for support. YES, they actually initially tried that with me.
You can get a full on Professional scanner but you will be way over a grand, more like at least $3500 when all is said and done.
If you own one of these trucks you will be doing yourself a favor by getting a scanner that has 7.3 capable software.
Thanks - good info.. may look into that.

post #40 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 06:42 PM

My Photos: (3)
I'm not convinced it only applies to certain CPS'es. I had my truck in for security module issues and while there they pulled my original CPS for the recall. I've had issues ever since with Ford, and Int'l CPS's, I don't get stall hardly ever but it still stumbles on occasion.

I'm going to try these ferrite rings and then start swapping CPS again just to see if it helps them all. I don't think I've tried the Echlin PN though.

Thank You Maryland dieselnick for sharing your find.

2002 F350 4x4 Crew Cab, Lariat,Standard Trans, sb, srw, 315 Cooper STT, aFe Stage II, Edge Juice w/ attitude monitor, 4" stainless exhaust, 4:10 gears, Auburn ECTD front, Auburn High Performance Limited Slip in back.
post #41 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

The issue with the Ford and I nternational's is not an interferrance issue.
The cps I used for best engine results in the NAPA Elchins model. I say that and people have said ok NAPA cps. Napa has multiple cps. My thread and the results are based on the Elchins model. I did extensive work and testing and safety is involved and I wish people would pay closer attention so safety and satisfaction are both achieved.
If you have stumbling especially at mid range you do not have cps issue you have hydraulic or hydraulic control issues.
You will not turn your truck into a silky beast if you have other issues or are trying to achieve my test results by choking a Ford, International and a few others.
post #42 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

The part numbers on box come out blurred on his computer.
These are the numbers on the box:
M14056
CSS1103
post #43 of 410 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 PM

Garage
Yeah got ya Nick .

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
post #44 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM

great info..

I just replaced my black international CPS i had put in it with the gray recall CPS from Ford that was in my truck when I bought it.

Nick, have you ever seen a Black CPS or any other CPS cause cold start problems?

Since I've put the gray one I havent had any cold start issues and I have a good bit more power.

2002 f250 ecsb 7.3,4r100 triple disc converter shift kit, amsoil atf, 60/10.5 DIY Tymar, (ISSPROboost, trans, Egt) PHP FU., Harpoon, hutch mods, ITP fuel pick up.
AutoEnginuity in the Lafayette-Houma area
post #45 of 410 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:50 PM

if a cps is failing it can cause harder starts and less power.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4- 277k FF 160/30, Hydra w/SDK Tunes, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, Van turbo w/Riffraff Billet wheel, Autometer Gauges, Built Trans, Trucool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dads-2000 f250 7.3 4x4- 118k K&N Intake w/Amsoil Filter, 4" Exhaust, Autometer Gauges, Superchip 1705 (Tow Safe), BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max, 08 Tow Mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain FAQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in