The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L CPS SEARCH AND EFFORT PAY OFF

112K views 410 replies 46 participants last post by  Maryland dieselnick 
#1 ·
I have tried all the CPSs I could find.
I found this NAPA ELCHINs model and it's awesome.
I did have issue with it killing engine at idle only with wipers in the intermittent mode with it raining and then again with testing with garden hose.
I corrected this with ferrite chokes.
First things first.

Attachments

See less See more
#84 ·
Job done , have just come inside for a coffee and let the truck warm up before i test drive .
So i just put the kettle on and all of a sudden i had to rush for the back door because i thought the truck had stalled out , but it's just that much quieter now i don't believe it, wow that scared a little bit of goodness out of me.:lol:

Report back after the test drive.:thumbsup:

#85 ·
I drove for over an hour last night because I was in disbelief. This CPS changed the truck. My dog was even impressed. She fell asleep while I drove, for the first time ever. The light throttle Deisel cackle always seemed to bother her.

The other CPS replacements must cause such imbalanced ignition that power is wasted and noise is created.
Now I'm hesitant to order the Hyra Chip because it runs so nice, I hope tunes don't take that away.

Need to install the chokes ASAP, but I'd like to see it stall first.

#87 ·
The other CPS replacements must cause such imbalanced ignition that power is wasted and noise is created.
Now I'm hesitant to order the Hyra Chip because it runs so nice, I hope tunes don't take that away.

Need to install the chokes ASAP, but I'd like to see it stall first.
The Hydra won't take any power from you now it's only going to enhance it, i have a DP chip and it's great in all positions, i drove for an hour or so yesterday in the rain with the wipers on intermittent with no problems only thing was trying to keep traction the rear.:sneaky:
I installed four sets of ferrite chokes (as per Nicks instructions) one on each cps wire (3) one on the LH ground to body and one on each grounds for the pcm (2) and then one on each of the wiper wires (5)

First and second photo is the wiper loom, third is LH ground, fourth is PCM ground, fifth is cps wires you can only see the ferrite choke that i wrapped around the whole loom there is three other chokes below that.

Attachments

#90 ·
On the wiper wires i extended them ,but the cps wire and the ground wire for the pcm i left the same length, just open the choke and re-clamp it over the wire.
The smaller the ferrite choke you can get is the better , i also put some shrink wrap over the cps loom just for added protection.
Be careful when you re-connect the cps loom it's out of the way from the fan belt.

#93 ·
Crankshaft position sensor. The wiper motor causes electronic interference with this cps. That's a problem in that it kills the engine. This can be rectified with those ferrite chokes. This CPS is special in that it gives the PCM, the vehicle's brain a great signal resulting in the engine running and sounding dramatically better.

#94 ·
HAHA Nick new one for ya. Truck shut off when I blew the horn yesterday. Idle in drive, stopped to say hey to a friend. Who do I choke for that?

#96 ·
Up-date: Have been testing the new cps no faults so far.
Yesterday i did a crank velocity rotation test here are the screen shots.

I haven't tested enough to see any fuel changes so far.

Attachments

#97 · (Edited)
Nick came down today and plugged up to AE and ran some tests. The only problem was #8 failed the contribution test .

The first pic with the dark blue cps I got when I installed the motor in November.

The second pic is with the new Napa Echlin cps.

The motor is much smoother at idle, hard acceleration and cruising speeds. I didn't have time to install the chokes on the wiper wires tonight but I'll work on that tomorrow. I tried the wipers with no problems so far but didn't run them for long. I'll keep an eye on my fuel mileage the next couple tanks and hope an increase in mpg.

I feel lucky to have someone as nice and knowledgeable as Nick close by. Thanks Nick. Maybe we'll get breakfast next weekend.

Not sure why my phone flips the pics upside down. I don't know how to fix that. Sorry

Attachments

#140 ·
Not sure why my phone flips the pics upside down. I don't know how to fix that. Sorry
You could always just hit ALT-PrtScn on the laptop to save a screenshot :)

#98 ·
Thanx, Glad to help. So that number two stayed the same and it's a new long block. I believe it a minor difference with those injectors. When Arundel Diesel checked them for you, (I believed that's what you asked them for right?) a minor difference of that level would pass the flow test and is ok enough compared to the others.
That baby made a huge difference in that 8 and got you those nice benifits.
Oh and yeah we will have to and get that house special we got last time. That baby had me in the power nap mode when I got home.

#99 · (Edited)
Rest your OTC when you fill up. Hold the two buttons down at the same time. If you are standing still when you do it, it should be at 00.
Maybe someone here knows how you can have pictures straight and you could put a picture of that nice looking front end you did and put it in your avatar. I'm looking forward to doing your wire mesh behind grill mod. Keeps the bats, birds and big bugs from flattening those fins.

#100 ·
All I can say is WOW. The ride in to work this morning was amazing. I actually turned the radio off for a bit to enjoy the quietness. This thing is so smooth and quiet now I think I'm gonna miss the cackle of #8 cylinder.

#101 ·
Ahh yes! There will be a MBRP stainless quiet tone muffler on that beast soo, I bet.
By the way, on the way home I saw a kid in a 7.3 with a $20k paint job rolling coal hard ripping down North Point Blvd. After he past me, the soot was still in the air for about a half mile. Most disgusting thing I've seen for a few months.
I'm glad you like it and are enjoying your truck.

#103 ·
Im gonna do this to the Excursion when I change the front crank seal. IMO this truck is louder than normal, I feel my old 95 PSD was quieter. For the $$, its worth a try. I have no idea what CPS is in there now, was in there when I bought the truck. Look forward to seeing what happens, worst case, I have a spare CPS.

#104 ·
Opher, do you have a scanner so you can run your rotation numbers before and after? Another cool thing to do is to download a decible app. They have ones that show the sound waves. That way you can see the smoothness change. Get screen shots and or video if you can. Make sure you buy the Echlin model.

#105 ·
I do have a older scan tool, I am able to see quite a few things with it. I will have to see if I can see what you're talking about though. I've got the decibel Meyer already downloaded.

#106 ·
Awesome on the reader. Does it have the fuzzy and spiket wave that goes across the screen?
Is this scanner Powerstroke capable? If so run a cylinder contribution test after the engine is up to temp. Then find crank velocity rotation change. That is worded differently on different scanners. Pull all 8 cylinders up on screen and take a couple good screen shots. Repeat both with new sensor.

#107 ·
It's an older Mac hand held. It can do a lot, I can do the CCT, buzz, see the Icp and IPR %, I just need to find how it's worded for the crank rotation stuff. It's peobablly not as high tech as AE, but back in the day this thing was top of the line. All I use it for is for my truck.

#109 ·
Dieselnick, thanks for the technical write up.
I went with the NAPA Elchin CPS and the engine did quit once the intermittin wipers where turned on.
I installed ferrite chokes on the five wires from the wiper motor and so far all is good. More time will tell and I'll update if this changes.

Question: did you notice if it takes a little more time for the engine to start?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.